MBalance

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hi I recently put my new build together and I'm having a bit of a problem with the power supply and the case fan. I thought I'd ask the pros for advice before I wreck something. Here's my system

System: i5 2500k
Sapphire 6870
8GB Mushkin Ram
ASRock Extreme3 Gen3
Haf 912
600W OCZ ModXStream
Crucial SSD
500GB WD

I installed the psu, put in mobo, cpu, vga, ram, hd and hooked everything up while leaving the case sides off and it runs fine. I've got the out take fan running in the PWR FAN slot on the mobo but the intake fan can't reach the CHA FAN port. I'm honestly not sure what to do here. I don't understand how to use the molex connector and every video I'm come across while googling "How to install case fan molex" has resulted in me watching some guy soldering or messing with adding a molex addition to an already existing fan cable rather than actually hooking it up...

I tried hooking the case plug into the molex adapter and then the molex adapter into the 4 hole modular input that came with the PSU but when I did this the computer WOULD NOT TURN ON :sweat: So I've currently got it just sitting there with the side off because I don't want to melt my rig.

The only other problem I was that I had to put the 8 pin cpu connector under the gap between the GPU and the board due to OCZ's connector being half an inch too short to make it and way too shot to make it back behind the board. I think the designer deserves an award for this product- you get everything put all together, all plugged up, only thing left to connect is the power to cpu and power to mobo and it misses the mark by less than 1/2 of an inch.

Please help :D I know the solution is probably rather simple but that's what makes it really..really... annoying to me. It's like the answer is right there and someone could do it in 5 seconds but I can't get it done without knowing how and I don't want to damage something. Building this pc was a great learning experience and I learned a lot but this is 1 thing I haven't got yet. I'd like to add some more fans in the future for better cooling but I haven't even got this 1 going yet.

First and foremost, I wouldnt be too concerned about anything overheating just because one case fan isn't working. The CPU fan, video card fan, if those weren't working, then yes it is possible something could be destroyed very quickly. But a case fan should not cause any damage. Although not having all case fans operating is not ideal for efficiency, its pretty well vented on it's own. So don't be too concerned.

As far as using the Molex connector, just so we understand each other. This is a Molex connector:
250px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

The chassis fans should allow you to hook them up either way. If the fan wires don't reach the headers on the motherboard, then you want to hook them up to the molex. Really, thats the only solution, unless you want to start soldering. Some times the connectors are cheapo and pins pop out, make sure they're connected well.

At least if I don't understand your problem, that info should be enough to help you.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
You could get something like this:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0322043
or this for 2 fans:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0221360
and I had to use something like this in my case:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0340977
to extend the 8-pin power cable. Don't try to use the pcie power cables they are not the same. Don't plug anything into the PSU except the cables that came with the PSU. I just used the above cables/adapters as examples of what is out there.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

That's a good site for cables. I would caution the OP though that if he doesn't need the PCIe cable that you linked to that he should not try to use it for his power connection. PCIe plugs are not the same as motherboard power plugs.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

AHA extensions! Why didn't I think of that? I stand corrected. Even so, what is up with Cooler master with such short wires?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Yeah, the 912's front fans are definitely set up with the intention that they'd be hooked to the PSU and not to the motherboard. I have my 2-front fans going to the PSU and my 2-top exhaust fans (with a "Y" cable) going to the motherboard CHA_ FAN. My rear exhaust is going to the motherboard PWR_FAN.