sonnyd09

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Ernest Hemingway once said;
Cowardice, as distinguished from panic, is almost always simply a lack of ability to suspend the functioning of the imagination. No idea what this has to do with what I'm going to talk about, but what you gonna do? :pt1cable:

I have always been a Nvidia fan, and always will be. Their technology appeals to me - Physx, APEX, SLI, 3D Vision, among others... - and I strongly feel that they do a good job of getting their tech' into everything they can. Example; The Unreal Engine 3 uses Physx as its physics simulator, where is AMD? They don't have anything on these bad boys (except maybe for Havok and OpenCL...but the less said about that the better). Haha, no, I'm not being a fanboy or anything :p

What I'm really here to say, is how socked I was when I got a GTX 460. I was amazed at it's performance per £ (or €/$), and the SLI scaling it brought to the table. I actually got two, and was simply astonished with what FPS I got in some of the most demanding games! Yeah, it's getting out of date now, but that was one of the best cards that I have ever had. You just got that genuine performance - as in you felt like you were king; for a reasonable price! I mean, I got mine for less then the price of a GTX 480, for a better price!!

I was disappointed with the lack of Tri-SLI (which would have been :bounce: worthy), but I guess that was Nvidia's market stratagy - pull them in...get them craving three cards....make them get our high end versions... - however you can't really blame them....can you?

What has been your favourite card to date? Why? How much did it cost you? How long did you have it? Oh, and it can be from AMD (or Intel... or Matrox) too :p No 'flamebaiting' for me!

Have a great day peoples,
Sonny.

Youre asking for a fanboy war with this topic
with that said the 570 has been my happy place for a long time and more to come.
Also the 5500fx was a sweet spot years ago that lasted me a long, long.time

sonnyd09

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Oh well, lol. The 570 is an ace card - not used one myself mind you - but I have heard it yields great results for that price point :3 Have you overclocked?

mkristian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
i swapped from a 6870 to a 560ti and i share your sentiment. With my 6870 i would just random driver issues, including but not limited to my PC dropping out however lucky AMD was able to handle that but it was annoying getting the messages saying "ur computer almost had a BSOD but we managed to save it yada yada"

Other things i noticed with the nvidia card is a better depth to colours in games however i admit that may be attributed to using HDMI over DVI.

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Oh, man... this is a hard question... Considering all the facts... My best card to date would have actually been the nVidia FX5900... these days it's useless, but in it's day it was amazing. That said, i also have had 8800GTs, a 9600, a GTS250, a GTX295, 7600GS, GeForce 4 MX, Three GTX460s for different systems... GF2 MX... A GTX560Ti, a GTX570, tw0 GTX580s (My brother's system I built for him) and have tried out 590 and looking forward to the 600 700 series... on the Red side I've had a 9550... a 9250... X1200... 3870... 4830, 4870, 4890... 5870... had a 5970 for a bit as an engineering prototype... then 6850, 6950 x3... tried out 6990 too, and had a few days with a 7970... But the only AMD cards i could say I prefer over any of the nvidia cards are the 9550 and the 6950s... I've been through a lot of cards...

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Oh, yeah, that's not including my workstation cards xD but 6 out of 7 have been Quadros, the one firepro I had stopped me from even looking in the AMD direction when looking for a workstation card.

Oh, the reason I've had all these cards is becase where I work i get lots of engineering prototypes, and buy cards based on their prototypes performance, or if I can get it for free like my GTS250 and 4830

Brand wise, I used to go for EVGA for nVidia, sapphire for ATI, but now I go ASUS for both, they make amazing cards.

Lol Im sure the 5900 made the toms hardware epic fails list.

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

I couldn't see why, none of the cards I could find at the time were even near that power... It was one of the revised versions, towards the end of the 5000 series.