20D flash

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 18, 2005 10:28:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I recently upgraded from an Oly C4040 to a 20D. I have noticed when taking
pictures inside the house using the full auto modes with the 20D the flash
is not that bright, the white walls are more of a yellow color. When using
the C4040 the flash is much brighter and the white walls are much brighter
white. Is this a possible defect in the camera or do I need to get an add on
flash for indoor pictures. Outdoor pictures seem good. I have only had the
camera for 3 weeks so I am still learning to use it. Thanks in advance for
any comments and advice.

Robert

More about : 20d flash

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 6:03:57 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:28:52 -0700, Robert wrote:

> I recently upgraded from an Oly C4040 to a 20D. I have noticed when taking
> pictures inside the house using the full auto modes with the 20D the flash
> is not that bright, the white walls are more of a yellow color. When using
> the C4040 the flash is much brighter and the white walls are much brighter
> white. Is this a possible defect in the camera or do I need to get an add on
> flash for indoor pictures. Outdoor pictures seem good. I have only had the
> camera for 3 weeks so I am still learning to use it. Thanks in advance for
> any comments and advice.
>
> Robert
What distance are you taking the shots from? The built in flash is low
powered, your manual will tell you how low.

--
neil
delete delete to reply

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Guide number of 20D flash on the body is 43 for ISO 100. That means
that the flash will only reach 10' if you shoot at f/4 and the camera
is set to ISO 100. Very low powered unit, compared to separate flash
units (no surprise, your battery in the camera has to do so much, and a
high power flash eats it up in an instant!)
The 20D can certainly be set to ISO 400 with minimal increase in
visible noise in the image. You could up the camera setting to ISO400,
which allow f/8 at 10' or increases the f/4 distance to 20' even for
the in-camera unit. In comparison, even the smallest of the Canon
separate flash units has GN=72, which means ability to shoot to 18' at
f/4 and ISO 100, or f/8 to 18', and f/4 to 38' at ISO 400.
June 18, 2005 9:30:10 PM

"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> writes:
> I recently upgraded from an Oly C4040 to a 20D. I have noticed when taking
> pictures inside the house using the full auto modes with the 20D the flash
> is not that bright, the white walls are more of a yellow color. When using
> the C4040 the flash is much brighter and the white walls are much brighter
> white. Is this a possible defect in the camera or do I need to get an add on
> flash for indoor pictures. Outdoor pictures seem good. I have only had the
> camera for 3 weeks so I am still learning to use it. Thanks in advance for
> any comments and advice.

Yup. Got a 300D and same complaints.

P mode helps. Flash exposure compensation is something to warm up
to. Shoot with +1 pretty much all the time. Stay out of the full
auto modes, try P mode. Make sure there's a mid-tone subject at your
selected focus point. All these will help get you better flash
results with the 20D and 300D in my experience.

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass compared to how the Elan film camera just
friggin seemed to work. A lot of folks have identified this problem
with E-TTL flash systems used as main lighting--search the
newsgroups.

But it can be worked around. And don't think buying a 550EX flash
will automaticlaly solve the problem. EVerything I've described
applied to it in use with my 300d as well.

But again, it can be worked around, and yes we really shouldn't have
to, but that's the state of affairs I'm afraid.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> writes:

> I recently upgraded from an Oly C4040 to a 20D. I have noticed when taking
> pictures inside the house using the full auto modes with the 20D the flash
> is not that bright, the white walls are more of a yellow color. When using
> the C4040 the flash is much brighter and the white walls are much brighter
> white. Is this a possible defect in the camera or do I need to get an add on
> flash for indoor pictures. Outdoor pictures seem good. I have only had the
> camera for 3 weeks so I am still learning to use it. Thanks in advance for
> any comments and advice.

Oh the other thing I forgot to mention--the auto white balance on
Canon camera is a notorious Achilles heel of the system.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:8464wbti19.fsf@ripco.com...

> But it can be worked around. And don't think buying a 550EX flash
> will automaticlaly solve the problem. EVerything I've described
> applied to it in use with my 300d as well.
>
> But again, it can be worked around, and yes we really shouldn't have
> to, but that's the state of affairs I'm afraid.

I can vouch for the fact that the 550ex will NOT fix the problem. I've had
better luck with my 420ex then I have with my 550. The trick is to work
with the flash and find what works and then start there.

To be honest I still haven't mastered Canon's flash system.

I can also vouch for the fact that the problem doesn't seem to exist in the
√Član film bodies. My wife has a 7NE and hasn't had any issues with the
flash. However, I do believe she had issues with her old Rebel film body.
Oh well.

--

Rob
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <uuCdnd0nL8J0vCnfRVn-qQ@seanet.com>,
"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> wrote:

> I recently upgraded from an Oly C4040 to a 20D. I have noticed when taking
> pictures inside the house using the full auto modes with the 20D the flash
> is not that bright, the white walls are more of a yellow color. When using
> the C4040 the flash is much brighter and the white walls are much brighter
> white. Is this a possible defect in the camera or do I need to get an add on
> flash for indoor pictures. Outdoor pictures seem good. I have only had the
> camera for 3 weeks so I am still learning to use it. Thanks in advance for
> any comments and advice.
>
> Robert

Turn up the ISO and force a longer exposure in Tv mode. I often had to
do that with my C4040z too. Built-in flashes are handy but they don't
work well as a primary source of light. You could simply turn up the
power of the flash but you'll probably get undesirable shadows. Also,
Canon's light metering can't match the C4040z. The C4040z takes a real
picture and checks real pixel exposures. Canon uses separate sensors
that are less accurate but don't cause shutter lag.

You bought a pro camera, and pros can deal exposure compensation, but
nobody can go back in time for an opportunity missed by shutter lag.

Shooting in RAW mode will let you recover from significant underexposure.
!