Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD FX 8150

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2012 9:13:12 PM

Hey so today I recieved the AMD FX 8150 cpu!!! I was so excited! so then I took out my old AMD Athlon II x2 and put this one in with the new heatsink... started up my computer... got no videoutput what so ever. (Monitor shows yellow instead of blue) So I put in old amd and it the computer starts up fine :/ 

Specs
Gigabyte 970a-ud3
Corsair DDR3 2gb x 2
Visiontek 500 wat
hd radeon 5750

Any idea what is wrong? I think the cpu might be defective :sweat: 

More about : amd 8150

Related resources
July 24, 2012 10:12:30 PM

That board should be fine, recently got one for my friends 8150 build. The one I received had a BIOS a couple of revisions old so did update to the newest non beta (it was working straight off but was having a problem with a WIndows install, turned out to be a faulty disc!)

System seems fine, though chip seems a bit toasty and whilst the heatsink seems beefy the fan is a real screamer at load!
m
l
a c 851 à CPUs
a c 330 À AMD
July 24, 2012 10:14:49 PM

The boards that shipped prior to Bulldozer release will need a BIOS upgrade!
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:36:07 AM

Thank you kind sir!
How do I update bios if I have no video output? :c
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 25, 2012 6:42:17 AM

Put the Athlon back in, update, put FX back in!
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:50:49 AM

What exactly do I do to update it? Throw it on a cd and install it? How? Just double click it in windows 7 or is there something I need to do?
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 25, 2012 7:38:07 AM

Go to you motherboards manufactuers website, find your board, download the latest bios and update.
m
l

Best solution

July 25, 2012 6:15:19 PM

You will need to stick your old CPU in to get the board up and running. You will need to to the Gigabyte website and download the up to date (non beta) BIOS for the board. I would make a note of the BIOS version you are running, it pops up on screen when you switch on, disabling full screen logo in the BIOS makes it much easier to spot.

I flashed mine with the built in Qflash utility, available from within the BIOS or press the key at boot. All I needed to do was format a USB stick (I used fat32, must be fat filesystem), the BIOS I downloaded was an .exe which just decompresses it to the desired location i.e. freshly formatted USB stick. I took the stick out, rebooted into the BIOS, seleted Qflash and popped the USB stick in and selected the file. Takes a minute or two, just don't disturb it till finished.

I would only do the BIOS update though if you have an older BIOS that doesn't support your new CPU (the info is on the site and it should be supported since F3)

There is a nice little section in the manual about BIOS updating, I think there is a Windows utility too on the Gigabyte cd. (I got burned by an ASUS windows bios utility so have never trusted them since!!)

Just a quick thought, it might be worth just trying to set your BIOS to default values or clearing it with the jumper, just in case it is trying to carry over a setting that the new CPU doesn't like. Default values would have most things set safe and auto for voltages etc.
July 25, 2012 6:36:05 PM

Best answer selected by pkkman.
m
l
July 25, 2012 9:05:14 PM

I updated bios through the way @womble said. I downloaded the F6 BIOS and threw it on a flash drive update bios everything said it was good put in the AMD FX and still no video output :/ 
m
l
July 26, 2012 9:00:56 AM

Hmm, that is a bit of a bummer. If the memory and video card are known to be working it could well be a faulty cpu. The fx can be a power hungry chip when it is working hard but can't imagine that a weaker power supply would halt proceedings.

Sorry mate, a bit short of ideas at the moment, kind of thing where it is very handy to have a mate close who has a few parts to borrow to test with.

Hope you get it sorted and in cases like these a quick post to say what the problem was is always a good thing:) 
m
l
!