Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop CPU Upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2012 9:15:14 PM

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad G460. Its processor is an Intel Core i3 M 380. As you can tell, I'm not getting very much horsepower at all. Especially in the graphics department. The integrated graphics are making me sad.

I was hoping that it would be possible to replace the processor, upgrading to an i7, I was eyeing the 640m . However, I want to gather some information before I take on this project. First off, can these processors be replaced, or are they integrated into the motherboard? If it is possible, where would I buy a Core i7 for a laptop?

Lastly, it this whole idea just too inefficient? Would it be better to get a new computer?

More about : laptop cpu upgrade

a c 109 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 9:21:33 PM

That CPU can be either soldered on or it could be in a socket.
An CPU upgrade won't help that much in gaming.

An mobile i7 compatible (if compatible) is expensive.

Its best to sell this one and get a new one or build a budget gaming pc.
m
l

Best solution

a c 148 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 11:20:05 PM

Sorry, that laptop only supported up to i5-520m and the graphics are not upgradable.

Worth the cost to upgrade? not in my opinion.

Face it, if you want to game on high settings you need a powerful GPU. To get a powerful GPU in a laptop you need to spend serious cash. it would be much cheaper to build a gaming pc.

Related resources
July 24, 2012 11:38:07 PM

That definitely answers my question. It's just the excuse I need to finally build my own rig. Thanks for all the input and help!
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 24, 2012 11:42:33 PM

LOL for the excuse.
m
l
July 31, 2012 11:56:27 PM

Best answer selected by Dan13.
m
l
!