Sign in with
Your question

Will There Still Be a Market for Custom Rigs 10 Years from Now?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Smartphones
  • Tablets
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 24, 2012 9:34:11 PM

The rapid transition to tablets and smartphones has made me more than a little paranoid. Desktops will indeed be phased out of the mainstream. The big question is how this will affect the enthusiasts? Will we be forced to conform due to scarcity of traditional hardware? I don't want to imagine a world where my only choice is a highly controlled tablet environment.

More about : market custom rigs years

a c 723 ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 9:37:14 PM

I believe the desktop will survive just because the most powerful hardware will never fit or be able to dissipate its heat in tablets.
m
l
a c 76 ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 9:39:56 PM

Of course. Desktops will ALWAYS have their place. Will more people start to transition to tablets and highly portable notebooks? Sure, but power users and gamers will keep the desktop market alive.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 9:47:52 PM

There better be desktops 10 years from now, if not i will stick with laptops , forget tablets.
m
l
July 25, 2012 8:46:12 AM

I've been using desktops all my life when it came to doing schoolwork or gaming, and I've never used a tablet. I'm not going to start now.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 2:23:57 PM

The power and cooling requirements for getting the best performance will mean there will still be desktop computers in 10 years, but they may be limited to professional usage: like the 18-wheelers of computing. If volume drops, the parts may become more expensive. I wonder if there will still be gaming desktops in 10 years (to continue my analogy, think of highly tuned muscle cars), or whether consoles and tablets will completely dominate. In particular, I wonder how many more generations before Intel and AMD get their integrated graphics to the level that gaming gpus are not sold in volume and become low-volume, high price items like the Quadro series is already.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 26, 2012 2:07:47 AM

I would disagree and say no, desktop will be on the road to antiqueness in 10 yrs time. The current trend is cloud computing and I dont see it stopping. All the processing power you need x100 will be available on the server farms and they will just send you the final data/result. Kinda like a streaming video. They plan to do this even with games and just stream you the screen 30 times a second.
m
l
July 26, 2012 6:01:14 AM

Not if there is an Apocalypse in 2012. Just Kidding :) .

I am a big fan of desktops my self.
But mobile devices are taking over desktops bigtime.
All my friends who used to own a massive powerfule desktop have moved onto Laptops, Ultrabooks, tablets etc.

I think the average user does not require that much power anymore to do their day to day tasks.
m
l
!