Sign in with
Your question

ATI 6950 Eyefinity can you actively switch from one monitor to three with a butt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2012 12:46:05 PM

I am getting ready to rebuild my system, I have been running 3 25" monitors on an HD 5770, works great. But I dual boot Win XP/32 and W7/64. I boot to XP to do e-mail, browse ect... and I boot to W7 to use the 3 eyefinity setup. I only do a flight sim or other games maybe 10% of the time, and would like to install W7 only, but would like to change the display from 3 to 1 on the fly. Anyone done this yet?
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2012 12:48:20 PM

Check in Catalyst Control Center under preferences. See if there is a way to set up a hot-key combination to swap active displays.

-Wolf sends
February 3, 2012 12:52:22 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Check in Catalyst Control Center under preferences. See if there is a way to set up a hot-key combination to swap active displays.

-Wolf sends

Ok, I am waiting on my SSD drive which is a UPS delivery for today, I guess I'll load W7/64 first and if it cannot "hotkey" to toggle from 3 to 1 monitor I can load XP as a dual boot setup...
Related resources
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2012 1:00:44 PM

Pardon the stupid question, but why use XP at all? Browsing and email can be done on Win7 as well.
February 3, 2012 1:07:54 PM

exactly my thoughts agent 47...
February 3, 2012 1:08:17 PM

4745454b said:
Pardon the stupid question, but why use XP at all? Browsing and email can be done on Win7 as well.

When W7 is setup using Eyefinity for 3 monitors, it always boots to 3 monitors, I guess it would be possible to turn off #2 and #3 and throw the browser or email app onto #1, (prior to turning the other 2 off) but it would be nice to have a "hot key" or someway to toggle it to one only, preferably #1 with a "Full Desktop" there, not 2/3 rd's of the desktop on #2 and #3...
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2012 1:13:23 PM

I still totally don't understand. Why do you want three of the monitors off? Thats the point of Eyefinity, to have lots of desktop space. Have you ever used more then one monitor? It's a really nice thing to have.
February 3, 2012 2:50:39 PM

I don't want 3 off, I want either 1 on with a full desktop, or all 3 in Eyefinity with the desktop stretched...
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2012 3:29:27 PM

Sorry, meant to say I don't know why you want two off.

Serious, just dump XP. Leave it on your machine just in case, but otherwise just use Win7 and Eyefinity all the time. Way easier then trying to reboot or disable screens.
!