S-Class

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I'm thinking of getting a HD 6870, but I wanted to know if we would roughly know the system requirements for GTA V? Would it be possible to tell if this card would give better-than-console performance with GTA V?

GTA V is quite a while off yet, nobody knows what the requirements for it will be. GTA IV is a very badly optimized port to the PC. Even on systems better than what was top of the line when the game came out, it still runs poorly on high settings. Maxing out GTA IV also requires more than 1GB of video RAM, something most 6870s don't have. If GTA V is anything like GTA IV you're definitely not going to max it out with a 6870, but you probably could still get better than console performance.

There isn't much point in buying a card specifically for a game coming out in the far future, we simply can't tell what a future game will need. If you want to be more 'futureproof' get a 6950, or wait for the HD 7000 series, and pick up something like the 7870. If your main purpose is GTA V, you probably will want to wait until the game's requirements are out closer to the release date.

Gordon Freeman

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

When is GTA V due to be out by that time the new consoles might already be out which would change the game up dramatically. If I was you unless you want a GPU for running your games today just wait until GTA V is reviewed so then you will know without a doubt what GTA V needs to run the way you want it to. If I had to guess today what GPU GTA V would need to run decently for Radeon I would say 6950 and for Nvidia 570.