Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Good power supply?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
July 24, 2012 10:13:40 PM

I got this power supply http://204.14.213.185/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for my system that has A8-3870k with 6670 for dual graphics. My friend says 400w isn't enough and I need like 600w to be safe because the 400w psu will fail in a few months. Is that true? I already got my 400w power supply, it arrived form newegg yesterday and I really really don't want to return it because I will be charged a restocking fee and I'll have to pay 12 bucks for shipping and I'll only be left with 12 bucks refund. I'm thinking of just selling it on ebay for 45 bucks then buying this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : good power supply

a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 10:22:51 PM

that power supply is fine, a 6670 doesn't use much power
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 10:24:33 PM

It'll be fine. I don't know where your friend got that idea from.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 10:47:11 PM

yes im sure
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 10:48:18 PM

You're going to be running 1 6770, not 2 of them, the on-chip GPU on the A8 uses very little power, it will be fine.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 11:00:10 PM

wiinippongamer said:
You're going to be running 1 6770, not 2 of them, the on-chip GPU on the A8 uses very little power, it will be fine.

By dual graphics I think they mean crossfiring the onboard a8 with the 6670 because on my box of my processor it says dual graphics, combine with 6670. But are you guys absolutely sure the power supply wont fail or explode by using a 400w power supply? I spent all of my money on this pc and I'm screwed if my pc blows up. My psu is 80 plus certified with 12 rail also. Also it says requirement is 500w if you do dual mode, which is what I'm doing with the onboard graphics and 6670. Mine is only 400w. I used the power supply calculator and only came up with 313w http://i.imgur.com/Sw5vb.jpg I wasn't sure what pci card was so I just chose the soundblaster because is says all models. And for the graphics card, there was no 6650d so I chose 6450 because its close to 6650.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 11:04:01 PM

Crossfire & SLI require 2 SEPARATE graphic cards ti work..

Crossfire + SLI are the same .. i guess the only different is the name.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
July 24, 2012 11:04:57 PM

yes, we are sure.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 24, 2012 11:10:19 PM

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

The above results in a minimum power PSU wattage between 250 (1xHD 6670) and 300 (2xHD 6670)....calculator recommends a PSU wattage of 300-350.

Antec Eco Neo 400 has a max load rating of 360 watts. So you are good to go if you don't overclock and don't add any more stuff/components to your PC.

HD 6670 have been successfully added to ~300 watt power supplies (not sure about 250 watt PS?). HD 7750 have added to 250-300 watt power supplies. I believe that some of these power supplies are not as well built as your Antec Eco Neo 400 (Seasonic).

Dave
Share
July 24, 2012 11:25:45 PM

DavidY said:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

The above results in a minimum power PSU wattage between 250 (1xHD 6670) and 300 (2xHD 6670)....calculator recommends a PSU wattage of 300-350.

Antec Eco Neo 400 has a max load rating of 360 watts. So you are good to go if you don't overclock and don't add any more stuff/components to your PC.

HD 6670 have been successfully added to ~300 watt power supplies (not sure about 250 watt PS?). HD 7750 have added to 250-300 watt power supplies. I believe that some of these power supplies are not as well built as your Antec Eco Neo 400 (Seasonic).

Dave

Cool so my psu will work? Also, I'm not using 2 6670s, I'm using the integrated 6550d crossfiring with 6670.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 11:30:20 PM

romeodakins said:
Cool so my psu will work? Also, I'm not using 2 6670s, I'm using the integrated 6550d crossfiring with 6670.


It's kinda of a worst case scenario...crossfire two HD 6670....not likely going to happen....but I wanted to see what the calculator would output. Seasonic is one of the best power supply brands out there....I wouldn't be worried. If it was a no-name brand that typically over rates their wattage ratings...I would be worried.

Dave
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 11:39:21 PM

DavidY said:
It's kinda of a worst case scenario...crossfire two HD 6670....not likely going to happen....but I wanted to see what the calculator would output. Seasonic is one of the best power supply brands out there....I wouldn't be worried. If it was a no-name brand that typically over rates their wattage ratings...I would be worried.

Dave

lol my psu isn't seasonic, it's antec, it has 80 plus certified and 12 rail though.
m
0
l
July 24, 2012 11:51:43 PM

romeodakins said:
lol my psu isn't seasonic, it's antec, it has 80 plus certified and 12 rail though.


It's essentially a Seasonic with an Antec cover. Like Corsair, Antec have other power supply manufacturers make their power supplies for them...they then just slap their covers on them.

Dave
m
0
l
a c 133 ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 12:02:07 AM

Just gonna drop my 2 cents here if it makes you feel better.

You will have 360 watts(30A) of 12 volt power. That is MORE then enough for your system.

Not sure? I run a 5770(thats the same as a 6770 so more power then your card, paired with a i5 750, sure it takes a bit less power, but the video card makes up any differences and then some) on a 300 watt FSP power supply. I have yet to top 200 watts at the wall.

Systems just do not take THAT much power unless they are very overclocked and pushing lots of hardware.

That was Prime95 + Just Cause 2
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 12:12:36 AM

nukemaster said:
Just gonna drop my 2 cents here if it makes you feel better.

You will have 360 watts(30A) of 12 volt power. That is MORE then enough for your system.

Not sure? I run a 5770(thats the same as a 6770 so more power then your card, paired with a i5 750, sure it takes a bit less power, but the video card makes up any differences and then some) on a 300 watt FSP power supply. I have yet to top 200 watts at the wall.

Systems just do not take THAT much power unless they are very overclocked and pushing lots of hardware.
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3866/apcprimejustcause2.jpg
That was Prime95 + Just Cause 2

Thanks :)  That made me more confident, thanks for the help everyone, I'll use my 400w now.
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 12:12:53 AM

Best answer selected by romeodakins.
m
0
l
a c 133 ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 12:43:26 AM

224watts at the wall MAX with a I7 2600 @ stock and a 5870 :)  - Just Cause 2.
286 MAX with prime95 added :) 

Quality power is more important then anything.
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 1:08:40 AM

nukemaster said:
224watts at the wall MAX with a I7 2600 @ stock and a 5870 :)  - Just Cause 2.
286 MAX with prime95 added :) 

Quality power is more important then anything.

Wow, your running i7 with only 224 watts, which psu are you using and how long have you been using it?
m
0
l
a c 133 ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 1:36:41 AM

romeodakins said:
Wow, your running i7 with only 224 watts, which psu are you using and how long have you been using it?

That all it takes at the wall. The power supply is a Corsair HX850

Overkill? yes, had it was for my last system when i was planning crossfire.

You can never have too much power, but the thought that a single card average system needs 500+(as long as its a quality power supply) watts is just ridiculous. My older I7 920 took more power then the 2600K(this is just a 2500K without HT). It @ 3.8 took more power then a 2600K @ 4.4(For instance with the same card, the 920 took about 150 watts idle and the 2600K is about 90 idle).

With the progress of cpu's I see good things happening in the future :) 

Grab your self a power meter from the hardware store and check it out. Todays systems and power supplies are very efficient.

I have this thing. Sure its not perfect, but gives you an idea.
http://www.upm-marketing.com/products/em100.html
m
0
l
July 25, 2012 1:41:40 AM

nukemaster said:
That all it takes at the wall. The power supply is a Corsair HX850

Overkill? yes, had it was for my last system when i was planning crossfire.

You can never have too much power, but the thought that a single card average system needs 500+(as long as its a quality power supply) watts is just ridiculous. My older I7 920 took more power then the 2600K(this is just a 2500K without HT). It @ 3.8 took more power then a 2600K @ 4.4(For instance with the same card, the 920 took about 150 watts idle and the 2600K is about 90 idle).

With the progress of cpu's I see good things happening in the future :) 

I thought your psu was 224 watts, Corsair HX850 is 850 watts.
m
0
l