So my friend wants to buy a mac....meh

mercer95

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
a good mate of mine wants to buy a mac because he wants a simple fast pc, he was looking particularly at the mac pro (the cheapest one is £2000) and after telling him over and over again that they are stupidly over priced for the spec that you get he still wants one, even after telling him i would build a pc for him myself that could out perform a mac pro for about half the price he is still adamant that he wants a mac pro.

Could you guys help me convince him that it’s a stupid idea and a waste of money?

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I don't mean to trash Mac or anything like that, but it seems as though 99% of all games and 99% of all software is for PC. That really narrows the Mac's versatility.

He won't get any flexibility at all with a Mac (in terms of upgrading) though you can install Windows on a Mac through bootcamp (that's what I've done..OSX is just ew for me).
But that's not the point, heck you could build him anything, just throw in an SSD and he'll be more than happy with the speed I can imagine! :lol:

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
mercer95... good luck
your are trying to compete against the millions upon millions Apple has spent in marketing/adversiting

Unless he is video editing alot, he is basically overpaying for a internet machine

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah you pay way too much with Apple for proprietary and inferior components from two generations ago. Plus a severely limited OS on top of that. The current Mac Pro models use Nehalem (1366) Xeon CPUs and 5770 video cards. You can build your own with a 3930K and Fire Pro 7800 for the same price and it's far better.

Wow really? I haven't really checked the Apple website in a few years, so I didn't know. I just know my father (who got me this Macbook I'm typing on) got ripped off for a C2D+9400M machine.

I'm trying to think when and why I've used OS X....I think I've only used it a few times to play around with Garage Band and use iMovie, but other than that I remember I could only surf the web until I got myself a copy of Win7...

Anyway back on topic :lol:

***EDIT***
SWEET JEEZUS! I just checked the Apple website...$2499 for 3GB of ram, and only a 5770?! My god.... Tell your friend to avoid it at all costs! The computer I could build myself with that kind of money..-daydreams-

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that's a huge ripoff isn't it? Who would pay $2499 for 3 year old hardware that isn't even that good compared to paying that now and getting a 3930K and dual 680s or 7970s?

That and after my brother got in a fight with the Genius Bar because they wouldn't fixed his hard drive unless he forked over $100, all I have to say is I'm pretty much done with Apple.

My gosh, yes, HUGE ripoff... Guess some people are just clueless.

And I'm sorry to hear about your brother, I remember I had to fight with the Genius Bar to replace this Macbook as well. The first day I got it, the fan was faulty, made this annoying clicking sound. They refused to replace til I had talked to them for an hour.

g-unit1111

Titan

What was funny was he was telling me that the Genuis Bar guy was completely arrogant as to why they wouldn't fix the hard drive on his laptop - at one point in the conversation the Genius Bar guy says "Oh well I'm like a surgeon when it comes to fixing computers - you have no idea what it's like". Well my brother is a 4th year med student, who operates on real people, and needless to say - as Tobias Funke says on Arrested Development - "douche chill"... :lol:

Hahahaha :lol:

But yeah, @ OP, good luck convincing your friend! Hopefully he looks at this thread and changes his mind.