6230 or 6600

Last response: in Brands
April 18, 2004 4:50:42 PM

I'm just about to upgrade phones. Should I get a 6230 or 6600?

I know the 6600 is a bit bigger, but could put up with that if the features
outweigh the size.

TIA
Lee
www.menumania.co.uk

More about : 6230 6600

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 4:43:31 AM

Lee BARRASS wrote:
> I know the 6600 is a bit bigger, but could put up with that if the
> features outweigh the size.

In my opionion pros and cons for these are:

6230:

+ smaller
+ lighter
+ stereo sound (FM radio and MP3 player)
+ fast EGPRS data access

- only limited apps and games (Java MIDP 1.0/2.0)

6600:

+ a better email client (IMAP4/POP3)
+ large screen
+ more advanced apps and games (Symbian / Series 60 platform)

- only mono sound

I thinks these are both good phones. The 6230 is a small and lice looking
phone with top features. The 6600 has more size and weight, but also a large
screen and plenty of applications and games available. The 6230 supports
fast EGPRS (GPRS with EDGE) data which is nice if your operator supports it.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

"Lee BARRASS" <lee@[nospam]menumania.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm just about to upgrade phones. Should I get a 6230 or 6600?

I waited months for it to be released in my country and finally (the day
before yesterday) bought the 6230.
I decided to wait and don't buy the 6600 'cause it hasn't got these very
important features for me:
- stereo mp3 sound
- stereo radio (indeed, the 6600 has no radio at all)
- small size and lightweight

In my very personal opinion these cons don't compensate the pros (bigger
display and possibility of installing more complex applications than those
for the 6230 (which can only accept java apps)).

I also discarded the Siemens SX-1 for similar reasons (althought it's got
stereo radio and mp3 player), added with the fact that I had doubts
concerning the reception quality of that phone, and the stability of it's
firmware.

Now that I have bought the 6230 and I've used it for two days, I can say
that I am really happy with it. The sound quality of the mp3's, the radio
and the ringtones is excellent through the phone's speaker, and even amazing
through the provided earbuds. The possibility of using it as a radio
alarm-clock and even an mp3-alarmclock is great. The only complaint I have
so far with this phone is related to the build quality not high as expected
for such a great phone. In particular I am beginning to worry that plugging
and unplugging the earbuds many times can easily wear the pop-port and cause
false contacts.

ciao.
Related resources
April 20, 2004 11:58:08 PM

Come on guys, these two phones address different markets. If you want a
business oriented PDA/phone combo, get a 6600. If you just want to talk and
listen to music, get a 6230. Simple.

"Lee BARRASS" <lee@[nospam]menumania.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm just about to upgrade phones. Should I get a 6230 or 6600?
>
> I know the 6600 is a bit bigger, but could put up with that if the
features
> outweigh the size.
>
> TIA
> Lee
> www.menumania.co.uk

April 23, 2004 2:42:58 PM

"Hunter" <hunter@goodinfo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Come on guys, these two phones address different markets. If you want a
> business oriented PDA/phone combo, get a 6600. If you just want to talk
and
> listen to music, get a 6230. Simple.

I wouldn't say "If you just want...", but "If you want", because ok for
talking, but for listening to music, the 6600 is very bad.
Also, I think the 6230 is business-oriented too. The organiser of this phone
is fully featured and works fine. You have pop3 and imap email also in the
6230, together with internet browsing (ok... the display is smaller than
that of the 6600). Also, you have a good phonebook. The phone's memory is
big enough (10 Mbytes as reported from mine) even for intensive use of these
features.

I really can't think what else could you need for business from a phone, and
so I believe the 6230 is perfecly fit for this purpose.
Maybe you may need the 6600 more for playing with it, and yes I can agree
with that. However, if you are not a child and using the phone for playing
is not your first need, the 6230 surely is a better choice.
However, I have downloaded even Fifa 2004 into the 6230, and can say that it
works even too well, since this game (like the others i have tried) runs
considerably faster than it uses to run on other phones, like the 7650 where
I saw it, making it difficult to play.

Definitively, I would say that with the 6230 Nokia has released a phone
which has all the useful features that were missing form the 6600,
sacrificing only a few features of questionable usefulness (like access to
the OS).
If I should say something in favour of the 6600, is that it feels more
"solid" in your hand, being bigger and heavier; the keypad is better and the
joystick is much better. I also tested the radio of the 6230 against that of
the 3200 and the 3200 has louder sound. All these are defects due to the
extremely small size and weight of the 6230, especially when compared to the
things this phone can do. The advantage is that the 6230 fits perfectly even
the top pocket of your jacket.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 9:01:53 PM

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:42:58 +0200, "Junior" <tropical@email.it>
wrote:

>Definitively, I would say that with the 6230 Nokia has released a phone
>which has all the useful features that were missing form the 6600,
>sacrificing only a few features of questionable usefulness (like access to
>the OS).
>If I should say something in favour of the 6600, is that it feels more
>"solid" in your hand, being bigger and heavier; the keypad is better and the
>joystick is much better. I also tested the radio of the 6230 against that of
>the 3200 and the 3200 has louder sound. All these are defects due to the
>extremely small size and weight of the 6230, especially when compared to the
>things this phone can do. The advantage is that the 6230 fits perfectly even
>the top pocket of your jacket.

The 6230 offers all the upfront features of the 6600 plus a smaller
form factor and better battery life.

Obviously, if you want a 'smartphone' then the 6600 is the one to
go for, but consumers looking for a phone with a brace of features
like camera, mp3 and radio would be best going for the 6230 IMO.

Gav
April 24, 2004 12:55:59 PM

Having played some more with a 6230 I must agree that it's fully featured. I
guess the difference between 6230 and 6600 is the way you use those
features. The 6600's bigger screen allows views more akin to a PC's desktop,
labelled icons etc. And text entry, reading emails etc. is a more pleasant
experience due to the choice of font and pre-formatted horizontal lines. The
keypad feel is similar but the joystick is much better and the make/break
keys are better placed..

So I'm happy to correct any impression that I thought the 6230 was a toy.
But I'd still live with the weight penalty of the 6600, cos I really do like
the PDA look and feel.

"Junior" <tropical@email.it> wrote in message
> "Hunter" <hunter@goodinfo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Come on guys, these two phones address different markets. If you want a
> > business oriented PDA/phone combo, get a 6600. If you just want to talk
> and
> > listen to music, get a 6230. Simple.
> >

> I wouldn't say "If you just want...", but "If you want", because ok for
> talking, but for listening to music, the 6600 is very bad.
> Also, I think the 6230 is business-oriented too. The organiser of this
phone
> is fully featured and works fine. You have pop3 and imap email also in the
> 6230, together with internet browsing (ok... the display is smaller than
> that of the 6600). Also, you have a good phonebook. The phone's memory is
> big enough (10 Mbytes as reported from mine) even for intensive use of
these
> features.
>
> I really can't think what else could you need for business from a phone,
and
> so I believe the 6230 is perfecly fit for this purpose.
> Maybe you may need the 6600 more for playing with it, and yes I can agree
> with that. However, if you are not a child and using the phone for playing
> is not your first need, the 6230 surely is a better choice.
> However, I have downloaded even Fifa 2004 into the 6230, and can say that
it
> works even too well, since this game (like the others i have tried) runs
> considerably faster than it uses to run on other phones, like the 7650
where
> I saw it, making it difficult to play.
>
> Definitively, I would say that with the 6230 Nokia has released a phone
> which has all the useful features that were missing form the 6600,
> sacrificing only a few features of questionable usefulness (like access to
> the OS).
> If I should say something in favour of the 6600, is that it feels more
> "solid" in your hand, being bigger and heavier; the keypad is better and
the
> joystick is much better. I also tested the radio of the 6230 against that
of
> the 3200 and the 3200 has louder sound. All these are defects due to the
> extremely small size and weight of the 6230, especially when compared to
the
> things this phone can do. The advantage is that the 6230 fits perfectly
even
> the top pocket of your jacket.

April 25, 2004 3:02:50 AM

Hi Hunter

Like many people I am weighing up the pros and cons of the these two phones.
I am interested that you say you have a choice of font on the 6600. Does
this include font size? and does it apply to incoming sms? I receive service
call info by sms and I need to read it in the cradle in my car. My 6310i is
fine for this but the standard font on the 6600 I think would ne too small.
Anybody else had experience of this type of application with either phone?

Andy

> [...]
> > I saw it, making it difficult to play.
> >
> > Definitively, I would say that with the 6230 Nokia has released a phone
> > which has all the useful features that were missing form the 6600,
> > sacrificing only a few features of questionable usefulness (like access
> > the OS).
> > If I should say something in favour of the 6600, is that it feels more
> > "solid" in your hand, being bigger and heavier; the keypad is better and
> the
> > joystick is much better. I also tested the radio of the 6230 against
that
> of
> > the 3200 and the 3200 has louder sound. All these are defects due to the
> > extremely small size and weight of the 6230, especially when compared to
> the
> > things this phone can do. The advantage is that the 6230 fits perfectly

April 26, 2004 2:33:29 AM

Sorry if I misled you, but I wasn't saying there was a choice of font on
6600, only that the mfrs' choice was a good one.

I don't know your car's setup so I can't say if text would be more or less
readable than a 6310i. But of course readibility is not just a function of
font size, it's also the choice of font itself and - very important - the
size, brightness and contrast of the screen. The 6600 scores very well here,
better IMHO than 6230.

"Andy" <nobody@nowhere.co> wrote in message
> [...]
phone
> > > which has all the useful features that were missing form the 6600,
> > > sacrificing only a few features of questionable usefulness (like
access
> > > the OS).
> > > If I should say something in favour of the 6600, is that it feels more
> > > "solid" in your hand, being bigger and heavier; the keypad is better
and
> > the
> > > joystick is much better. I also tested the radio of the 6230 against
> that
> > of
> > > the 3200 and the 3200 has louder sound. All these are defects due to
the
> > > extremely small size and weight of the 6230, especially when compared
> > the
> > > things this phone can do. The advantage is that the 6230 fits

April 26, 2004 9:06:14 PM

Yes I must agree with you on the font issue, Hunter.

Not too painfull for me, but true. :-)
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 11:54:39 AM

Hi Guys,

In the US, I know T-Mobile is offering 6600, is any provider offering 6230 at all?
I am bored of waiting for new phones.

Nithin
-----------------
www.nitboss.com

"Junior" <tropical@email.it> wrote in message news:<c6j8jf$cm521$1@ID-221472.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Yes I must agree with you on the font issue, Hunter.
>
> Not too painfull for me, but true. :-)
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 4:35:00 PM

6600 coz of the features, its all about the apps, and plus u can play
ngage games onit, and thers even temp fixes out for the sims bustin
out, sega rally and even ashen`"!!!!

--
momagic
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t117652.html