6230 or 6600

I'm just about to upgrade phones. Should I get a 6230 or 6600?

I know the 6600 is a bit bigger, but could put up with that if the features
outweigh the size.

TIA
Lee
www.menumania.co.uk
11 answers Last reply
More about 6230 6600

    Lee BARRASS wrote:
    > I know the 6600 is a bit bigger, but could put up with that if the
    > features outweigh the size.

    In my opionion pros and cons for these are:

    6230:

    + smaller
    + lighter
    + stereo sound (FM radio and MP3 player)
    + fast EGPRS data access

    - only limited apps and games (Java MIDP 1.0/2.0)

    6600:

    + a better email client (IMAP4/POP3)
    + large screen
    + more advanced apps and games (Symbian / Series 60 platform)

    - only mono sound

    I thinks these are both good phones. The 6230 is a small and lice looking
    phone with top features. The 6600 has more size and weight, but also a large
    screen and plenty of applications and games available. The 6230 supports
    fast EGPRS (GPRS with EDGE) data which is nice if your operator supports it.

    --
    Tero Lehto
    http://lehto.net/tero/

    "Lee BARRASS" <lee@[nospam]menumania.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm just about to upgrade phones. Should I get a 6230 or 6600?

    I waited months for it to be released in my country and finally (the day
    before yesterday) bought the 6230.
    I decided to wait and don't buy the 6600 'cause it hasn't got these very
    important features for me:
    - stereo mp3 sound
    - stereo radio (indeed, the 6600 has no radio at all)
    - small size and lightweight

    In my very personal opinion these cons don't compensate the pros (bigger
    display and possibility of installing more complex applications than those
    for the 6230 (which can only accept java apps)).

    I also discarded the Siemens SX-1 for similar reasons (althought it's got
    stereo radio and mp3 player), added with the fact that I had doubts
    concerning the reception quality of that phone, and the stability of it's
    firmware.

    Now that I have bought the 6230 and I've used it for two days, I can say
    that I am really happy with it. The sound quality of the mp3's, the radio
    and the ringtones is excellent through the phone's speaker, and even amazing
    through the provided earbuds. The possibility of using it as a radio
    alarm-clock and even an mp3-alarmclock is great. The only complaint I have
    so far with this phone is related to the build quality not high as expected
    for such a great phone. In particular I am beginning to worry that plugging
    and unplugging the earbuds many times can easily wear the pop-port and cause
    false contacts.

    ciao.

    Come on guys, these two phones address different markets. If you want a
    business oriented PDA/phone combo, get a 6600. If you just want to talk and
    listen to music, get a 6230. Simple.

    "Hunter" <hunter@goodinfo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Come on guys, these two phones address different markets. If you want a
    > business oriented PDA/phone combo, get a 6600. If you just want to talk
    and
    > listen to music, get a 6230. Simple.

    I wouldn't say "If you just want...", but "If you want", because ok for
    talking, but for listening to music, the 6600 is very bad.
    Also, I think the 6230 is business-oriented too. The organiser of this phone
    is fully featured and works fine. You have pop3 and imap email also in the
    6230, together with internet browsing (ok... the display is smaller than
    that of the 6600). Also, you have a good phonebook. The phone's memory is
    big enough (10 Mbytes as reported from mine) even for intensive use of these
    features.

    I really can't think what else could you need for business from a phone, and
    so I believe the 6230 is perfecly fit for this purpose.
    Maybe you may need the 6600 more for playing with it, and yes I can agree
    with that. However, if you are not a child and using the phone for playing
    is not your first need, the 6230 surely is a better choice.
    However, I have downloaded even Fifa 2004 into the 6230, and can say that it
    works even too well, since this game (like the others i have tried) runs
    considerably faster than it uses to run on other phones, like the 7650 where
    I saw it, making it difficult to play.

    Definitively, I would say that with the 6230 Nokia has released a phone
    which has all the useful features that were missing form the 6600,
    sacrificing only a few features of questionable usefulness (like access to
    the OS).
    If I should say something in favour of the 6600, is that it feels more
    "solid" in your hand, being bigger and heavier; the keypad is better and the
    joystick is much better. I also tested the radio of the 6230 against that of
    the 3200 and the 3200 has louder sound. All these are defects due to the
    extremely small size and weight of the 6230, especially when compared to the
    things this phone can do. The advantage is that the 6230 fits perfectly even
    the top pocket of your jacket.

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:42:58 +0200, "Junior" <tropical@email.it>
    wrote:

    >Definitively, I would say that with the 6230 Nokia has released a phone
    >which has all the useful features that were missing form the 6600,
    >sacrificing only a few features of questionable usefulness (like access to
    >the OS).
    >If I should say something in favour of the 6600, is that it feels more
    >"solid" in your hand, being bigger and heavier; the keypad is better and the
    >joystick is much better. I also tested the radio of the 6230 against that of
    >the 3200 and the 3200 has louder sound. All these are defects due to the
    >extremely small size and weight of the 6230, especially when compared to the
    >things this phone can do. The advantage is that the 6230 fits perfectly even
    >the top pocket of your jacket.

    The 6230 offers all the upfront features of the 6600 plus a smaller
    form factor and better battery life.

    Obviously, if you want a 'smartphone' then the 6600 is the one to
    go for, but consumers looking for a phone with a brace of features
    like camera, mp3 and radio would be best going for the 6230 IMO.

    Gav

    Having played some more with a 6230 I must agree that it's fully featured. I
    guess the difference between 6230 and 6600 is the way you use those
    features. The 6600's bigger screen allows views more akin to a PC's desktop,
    labelled icons etc. And text entry, reading emails etc. is a more pleasant
    experience due to the choice of font and pre-formatted horizontal lines. The
    keypad feel is similar but the joystick is much better and the make/break
    keys are better placed..

    So I'm happy to correct any impression that I thought the 6230 was a toy.
    But I'd still live with the weight penalty of the 6600, cos I really do like
    the PDA look and feel.

    "Junior" <tropical@email.it> wrote in message
    > "Hunter" <hunter@goodinfo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Come on guys, these two phones address different markets. If you want a
    > > business oriented PDA/phone combo, get a 6600. If you just want to talk
    > and
    > > listen to music, get a 6230. Simple.
    > >

    > I wouldn't say "If you just want...", but "If you want", because ok for
    > talking, but for listening to music, the 6600 is very bad.
    > Also, I think the 6230 is business-oriented too. The organiser of this
    phone
    > is fully featured and works fine. You have pop3 and imap email also in the
    > 6230, together with internet browsing (ok... the display is smaller than
    > that of the 6600). Also, you have a good phonebook. The phone's memory is
    > big enough (10 Mbytes as reported from mine) even for intensive use of
    these
    > features.
    >
    > I really can't think what else could you need for business from a phone,
    and
    > so I believe the 6230 is perfecly fit for this purpose.
    > Maybe you may need the 6600 more for playing with it, and yes I can agree
    > with that. However, if you are not a child and using the phone for playing
    > is not your first need, the 6230 surely is a better choice.
    > However, I have downloaded even Fifa 2004 into the 6230, and can say that
    it
    > works even too well, since this game (like the others i have tried) runs
    > considerably faster than it uses to run on other phones, like the 7650
    where
    > I saw it, making it difficult to play.
    >
    > Definitively, I would say that with the 6230 Nokia has released a phone
    > which has all the useful features that were missing form the 6600,
    > sacrificing only a few features of questionable usefulness (like access to
    > the OS).
    > If I should say something in favour of the 6600, is that it feels more
    > "solid" in your hand, being bigger and heavier; the keypad is better and
    the
    > joystick is much better. I also tested the radio of the 6230 against that
    of
    > the 3200 and the 3200 has louder sound. All these are defects due to the
    > extremely small size and weight of the 6230, especially when compared to
    the
    > things this phone can do. The advantage is that the 6230 fits perfectly
    even
    > the top pocket of your jacket.

    Hi Hunter

    Like many people I am weighing up the pros and cons of the these two phones.
    I am interested that you say you have a choice of font on the 6600. Does
    this include font size? and does it apply to incoming sms? I receive service
    call info by sms and I need to read it in the cradle in my car. My 6310i is
    fine for this but the standard font on the 6600 I think would ne too small.
    Anybody else had experience of this type of application with either phone?

    Andy

> [...]
    > > I saw it, making it difficult to play.
    > >
    > > Definitively, I would say that with the 6230 Nokia has released a phone
    > > which has all the useful features that were missing form the 6600,
    > > sacrificing only a few features of questionable usefulness (like access
    > > the OS).
    > > If I should say something in favour of the 6600, is that it feels more
    > > "solid" in your hand, being bigger and heavier; the keypad is better and
    > the
    > > joystick is much better. I also tested the radio of the 6230 against
    that
    > of
    > > the 3200 and the 3200 has louder sound. All these are defects due to the
    > > extremely small size and weight of the 6230, especially when compared to
    > the
    > > things this phone can do. The advantage is that the 6230 fits perfectly

    Sorry if I misled you, but I wasn't saying there was a choice of font on
    6600, only that the mfrs' choice was a good one.

    I don't know your car's setup so I can't say if text would be more or less
    readable than a 6310i. But of course readibility is not just a function of
    font size, it's also the choice of font itself and - very important - the
    size, brightness and contrast of the screen. The 6600 scores very well here,
    better IMHO than 6230.

    "Andy" <nobody@nowhere.co> wrote in message
> [...]
    phone
    > > > which has all the useful features that were missing form the 6600,
    > > > sacrificing only a few features of questionable usefulness (like
    access
    > > > the OS).
    > > > If I should say something in favour of the 6600, is that it feels more
    > > > "solid" in your hand, being bigger and heavier; the keypad is better
    and
    > > the
    > > > joystick is much better. I also tested the radio of the 6230 against
    > that
    > > of
    > > > the 3200 and the 3200 has louder sound. All these are defects due to
    the
    > > > extremely small size and weight of the 6230, especially when compared
    > > the
    > > > things this phone can do. The advantage is that the 6230 fits

    Yes I must agree with you on the font issue, Hunter.

    Not too painfull for me, but true. :-)

    Hi Guys,

    In the US, I know T-Mobile is offering 6600, is any provider offering 6230 at all?
    I am bored of waiting for new phones.

    Nithin
    -----------------
    www.nitboss.com

    "Junior" <tropical@email.it> wrote in message news:<c6j8jf$cm521$1@ID-221472.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > Yes I must agree with you on the font issue, Hunter.
    >
    > Not too painfull for me, but true. :-)

    6600 coz of the features, its all about the apps, and plus u can play
    ngage games onit, and thers even temp fixes out for the sims bustin
    out, sega rally and even ashen`"!!!!

    --
    momagic
    http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t117652.html