Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU Clicking noise but PC still works fine

Last response: in Components
July 24, 2012 11:16:33 PM

From time to time my PC makes an odd clicking noise every other day. Yet, my PC still works great. I was wondering if this is a problem and should I send anything back.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 12:05:36 AM

Its not unusual for a power supply to make ticking sounds due to lose windings on inductors or transformers. This is nothing to worry about and would probably not be covered by warranty. Another possibility is that a wire is touching the fan, check this. Are you sure that the noise comes from the power supply? It is also not unusual to get a clicking sound from the CD drive or hard drive.
July 25, 2012 12:31:32 AM

pjmelect said:
Its not unusual for a power supply to make ticking sounds due to lose windings on inductors or transformers. This is nothing to worry about and would probably not be covered by warranty. Another possibility is that a wire is touching the fan, check this. Are you sure that the noise comes from the power supply? It is also not unusual to get a clicking sound from the CD drive or hard drive.

I don't think a wire would be touching the fan because the fan is facing down, towards the filter at the bottom of the case. And yes, it is definitely coming from the power supply. Thanks for the help. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging any of my parts.
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:32:34 AM

Best answer selected by Troy H.
m
l
!