Sign in with
Your question

I'm having some really strange screen issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2012 2:36:04 PM

Gentlemen (and ladies),

I bought an iBuyPower 923i just a few months ago and I'm already starting to have display issues. If I'm merely browsing the internet or working, everything is fine. However the moment I play a video or game this happens:

http://youtu.be/LXpW1-PeI6c

Please excuse the background noise in the video; I was printing labels.

If I play a game for longer than 20 minutes the screen will go completely blank (or display vertical lines) and become unresponsive.

Here's my graphics card information:

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/02/03/ben.png

Someone on another forum had a similar issue and it was recommended that they flash their vbios or update their motherboard chipset drivers. But I have no experience with either so I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Edit:

Here's some more info on my computer if it helps:

General Spec
Brand
iBUYPOWER
Model
Gamer EXTREME 923i
Processor
Intel Core i5-2320 3.0GHz 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Cache Per Processor
6MB L3 Cache
Memory
8GB
Hard Drive
1TB
Optical Drive 1
24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB
Audio
8 Channels
Power Supply
600W
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

More about : strange screen issues

a c 228 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 3:18:59 PM

Heat and/or power issues typically cause these problems. What make and model of power supply is installed in your rig? Also, are you measuring your system temperatures (CPU and GPU)? If so, what are your idle and loaded temperatures?
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 3:52:39 PM

Seems like overheating or something failing perhaps.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2012 4:10:15 PM

Thanks for the response! I don't believe it's an overheating issue. When idle, my fan never really goes over 40% and my GPU temperature is around 40 degrees Celsius (which I think is normal).

When I playing games it hits around 65% for the fan and 55 degrees for the GPU. Is that normal?
m
l
a c 228 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 9:48:54 PM

What make and model of power supply are you using? iBuypower has been known to install what would be considered "junk" in some systems.
m
l
February 4, 2012 11:14:47 AM

check that you have full power to the card, and that it's seated properly, is your motherboard 24pin or 20 pin power connector?
m
l
February 6, 2012 6:10:20 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. Here's my power supply:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14055229/IMG_20120205_090555.jp...

Coonix COPS-600
50-60Hz 600W

I contacted iBuypower and they issued an RMA for my card. However, after reading your responses I'm starting to think the Power Supply may indeed be insufficient.

Is this good enough for a Radeon HD 6770?
m
l
a c 228 U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 10:12:26 PM

I would replace that PSU with a Seasonic or Corsair. I wouldn't trust my rig with that device.....period.
m
l
February 7, 2012 1:00:09 PM

COLGeek said:
I would replace that PSU with a Seasonic or Corsair. I wouldn't trust my rig with that device.....period.

Really, that bad huh? OK I'll try another PSU and report back.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2012 2:52:16 PM

NaeemTHM said:
Sorry for the delayed response. Here's my power supply:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14055229/IMG_20120205_090555.jp...

Coonix COPS-600
50-60Hz 600W

I contacted iBuypower and they issued an RMA for my card. However, after reading your responses I'm starting to think the Power Supply may indeed be insufficient.

Is this good enough for a Radeon HD 6770?

Even a cheap PSU could push a 6770 which under load consumes +/- 110watts.

As it was mentioned above, I would get a higher quality PSU "Coonix just sings cheap to me" rule of thumb is that a PSU is the single most important part of a computer and this should be taken very seriously if you value your machine.

Here~

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

...the Corsair is $39.99 after rebate so it's a win win. Also you did the right thing by having iBUYPOWER RMA. That's what I would've done...
m
l
February 7, 2012 3:11:09 PM

NaeemTHM said:
Thanks for the response! I don't believe it's an overheating issue. When idle, my fan never really goes over 40% and my GPU temperature is around 40 degrees Celsius (which I think is normal).

When I playing games it hits around 65% for the fan and 55 degrees for the GPU. Is that normal?

thats fine... 70% on a core is a tops, and GPU is way higher than that.

My guess would be PSU out of experience. PSU - the most overlooked component. BTW be sure you have a good program monitoring temps. Depending where sensors are can affect what they read.
m
l
February 7, 2012 4:25:46 PM

Guy's I can't thank you enough for the input. This is why I love this site!

RussK1 said:
...the Corsair is $39.99 after rebate so it's a win win.

Thanks I'll purchase this right away and report back.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2012 5:01:49 PM

NaeemTHM said:
Guy's I can't thank you enough for the input. This is why I love this site!

Thanks I'll purchase this right away and report back.

Do it... That's an insanely good deal and they wont last long. I was surprised myself while I was looking for a nice cheap psu for a youngin... I was going to recommend the CX430 but found this 500.
m
l
!