First build - Adobe video editing - proposed parts list - advice?

kenkyle

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Hi there.

Within a week or two, I plan to begin purchasing the parts for my first build. The computer's primary purpose is video editing with Adobe’s Master Collection 5 (Premiere Pro).

I want the latest and greatest parts that fall within my budget. All advice is greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge BX80623I72600K ($320-Amazon)

MOBO: ASUS LGA 1155 - Z68 - P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ($195-Amazon)

RAM (Which would you recommend?): 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B ($97-Amazon)

OR

G.skill Ripjaws X Series 16gb 240-pin Ddr3 Sdram Ddr3 1600 (Pc3 12800) F3-12800cl9q-16gbxl ($115-Amazon)

PSU: COOLER MASTER Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US ($160-NewEgg)

GPU: ASUS ENGTX570 ($315-Amazon)

OPTICAL: LG WH12LS38K 12X Internal SATA Blu-Ray/DVD Burner with Lightscribe Support Writer/Drive ($85-Amazon)

HDD 1: WD 500gb (on hand)

HDD 2: WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache - WD1002FAEX ($137-Amazon)

CASE: Cooler Master HAF X (already purchased)

Do you think I should get an After-market CPU Cooler (if so, which one?)

Total listed here: $1327.00

Thank you very much for taking a look.
--Ken

Solution
First off rather than get a Caviar Black you should invest in a good 128GB SSD - having a 500GB mechanical drive as your primary will be a major bottleneck in working with large video files. The SSD will cut down on your loading times dramatically when opening large files and manipulating them - try this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

You can always add more HDs later on as your needs change.

As for RAM I'd actually recommend this over both of the ones you chose: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544

And then if you're going for a 570 I'd suggest this brand over the gigantic Asus 3-slot form factor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687

If you...

g-unit1111

Titan
First off rather than get a Caviar Black you should invest in a good 128GB SSD - having a 500GB mechanical drive as your primary will be a major bottleneck in working with large video files. The SSD will cut down on your loading times dramatically when opening large files and manipulating them - try this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

You can always add more HDs later on as your needs change.

As for RAM I'd actually recommend this over both of the ones you chose: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544

And then if you're going for a 570 I'd suggest this brand over the gigantic Asus 3-slot form factor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687

If you ultimately plan to run a multiple monitor setup I'd be inclined to suggest this as it will make setup far easier:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102983

Otherwise everything else looks good.

Solution

killermoats

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
CPU/MOBO - ok choices.
Ram - Defiantly Corsair <3 Corsair but I'd just get 8gb of vengance 1600mhz. Safe yourself a little cash. Even with photo editing you wont use that much ram. I'd bump it up to 2000mhz ram if you can. Faster vs quantity.
PSU - Corsair makes awesome PSU's a 750tx would be in the same price ball park.
HD - I agree with g-unit1111 on the SSD. I run 2 Corsair G60's in a RAID 0 so they are faster than hell.
Video - I'm a XFX fan for video. They product both nvidia and amd based cards so what ever your flavor.

g-unit1111

Titan

Actually that's pretty useless as you'll never notice the speed difference in 2133MHz vs. 1600MHz - as your motherboard by default runs the lowest speeds and timings it can handle.

HD - I agree with g-unit1111 on the SSD. I run 2 Corsair G60's in a RAID 0 so they are faster than hell.
Video - I'm a XFX fan for video. They product both nvidia and amd based cards so what ever your flavor.

I personally like Sapphire for Radeon (just bought one) and EVGA for NVIDIA.

kenkyle

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
REVISED LIST OF PARTS based on responses from Tom’s (4-12-12)

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge BX80623I72600K ($320-Amazon)

MOBO: ASUS LGA 1155 - Z68 - P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ($195-Amazon)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00` $46.99 (X2 = $94) Free Shipping (NewEgg)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply $130 + 6.00 Shipping (NewEgg)

GPU: EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $349.99; Save $10 Mail-in Rebate $7.56 Shipping (NewEgg)

OPTICAL: LG WH12LS38K 12X Internal SATA Blu-Ray/DVD Burner with Lightscribe Support Writer/Drive ($85-Amazon)

HDD 1: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Now: $159.99 Was: $199.99 Save: $40.00 Free Shipping (NewEgg)

HDD 2: WD 500gb (on hand)

CASE: Cooler Master HAF X (on hand)

Do you think I should get an After-market CPU Cooler (if so, which one?)

Total listed here: $1340 (versus $1324 original version)

NOTE: I like this version, because I’ll be able to afford the SSD for only $16 more.)

G

Photoshop, after-effects, sound booth and premier. One thing we need here is RAM and Hard disk space. We composite movie in after-effect. It is not that we or going to deal with one movie clip but multiple in form of layers one over the other. Movie clips may be in form of single video file or batch of image files (efficiency). Above that we add lights special effects etc. Suppose to composite 5 mins of animation, what do we do . If we render those in separate passes in any animation software like maya. say diffuse, AO, specular, reflection etc. These are same files but but only hold certain properties relating to its name type. At 720p level each individaul file size many be around 4 mb and at higher resolution size will go up. at 24 fps sec what will be total image size. After that we import those into after-effects and stack the layer one over another and do all our works. for 32 bit system 4 gb ram was max but for 64 bit u should go above 8 gb. cs 5 after-effects has only 64 bit support. All effects create on or above the layer requires tremendous amounts rams. Finally we mix the sound and video in premier. Ram should be 16 gb, a good margin.
U need is good quality monitor. Without a proper monitor how will u do color correction or things like that, (tv will do). Those issues are very important for the final output.
One more hardware will be good (important) addition is a drawing pen tablet like Wacom.

kenkyle

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
AJAXMARU,

You bring up several good points.

First, RAM. Using the latest list of parts, the RAM allotted for my machine would be 16gb in dual channel. If, however, I wanted to add RAM in the future, is it true that I must purchase matched sticks? And that therefore my older sticks wouldn't match up.

Should I just go ahead and initially purchase 4 sticks of 8gb each, versus the listed 4 sticks of 4gb each?

One thing I’ve consistently read about Adobe’s Master Collection is that one should have all the RAM possible.

If I decided to go with 32gb of RAM, the modified list would change to:
Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00
X2 = $270 (NewEgg), which would bring the total price of parts to
$1516 vs. $1340 (Difference of $176)

Harddisk Space, I’m not too worried about initially. The SSD will make the machine fast, something I will continually appreciate. The 500gb storage drive will serve me for a while, and I’ll add more Hard Drives as I go along.

For monitors, I use my 32-inch HDTV currently. I also have a good 23” monitor and two older flat screen monitors lying around. But you bring up a good point concerning color correction. Will my HDTV work for color correction?

I also own a WACOM tablet. But what would you think I would need this for with Adobe?

Thank you for your input.
--Otis

G

Now it is ddr3 and next will be ddr4. ddr 3 will be there when ddr4 will become mainstream rams but these companies always increase the price of older models. u will find even out dated sd ram in the market but they r very costly. rams r cheap now and later on when u try to add more rams u may end up with compatibility issues ( more then 50 % chances). U dont have to go for the 1600 mz fancy rams but general rams made buy good companies Mostly of the people i have seen are always in trouble while trying to add ram. They had to remove all the old rams and buy new one for the whole slots to increase rams to over come comparability issues.

Photoshop is just like normal painting where u draw with a brush. More the control u have over ur brush, finer the details. It is hard to even to correctly select or draw on any part of ur image correctly with a mouse. After effect is just like photoshop but here u can edit a batch of photos (frames) instead on one single photo at any time. Suppose u want to edit a zig - zag portion of ur frames. U can do with a do with mouse control , it will take much more longer time and things may not even come out correctly in the end. With wacom like tablet editing comes out in a ziffy As u have wacom tablet u wont have to worry.

There are tools available on the net to do color correction on ur monitor. Some r free and rest are paid. HDTv generally display color correctly. good for most of the work. Lcd diplays have a limited total color display capabilities. Professional photo/ video editing monitors r very costly.

A suggestion post ur hardware queries in some forums specialized in post production works or even in after-effects forums. U may get better suggestions there or even correct parts names.

G

32 gb will be over kill as by the time these softwares start demanding that much of ram, ur system will like bit of out dated and slow. 8 gb will do and 16 gb is a better margin in case of video editing.

kenkyle

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
AJAXMARU,

Okay, sir, I got it. I sure appreciate your time and effort in sharing your expertise.

I'll go with the 16gb, vs. the 32gb. Also, I understand a little more about what is required to do good color-correcting. I want to incorporate more of that in my future editing.

Finally, let me say a word of thanks to Tom's Hardware, the best place I've ever found on the Web to get great advice about computer technology. And it's people who know a lot about computers that contribute that makes it so useful and worthwhile.

--Otis

TRENDING THREADS