Sign in with
Your question

CPU Installation Trouble

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2012 11:55:59 PM

Hello,
I have purchased an [Intel Pentium D 925 3.0GHz 800MHz 2x2MB Socket 775 Dual-Core] processor for my HP desktop computer [a6403w model]. The former processor, the factory-installed [Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz 800MHz Socket 775], still works, but when I switch over to the new one, there's nothing displayed. It will start up when pushing the button, but nothing further happens. Installing the old one back into it, everything goes back to normal. I have not done any previous modifications to the desktop, so aside from software, there was no further reason for any change. I am hoping someone will be able to help me solve this problem.

*I am slightly challenged to tech lingo, but I have no problems looking around to try and further understand. ^^;*
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2012 12:24:59 AM

Hi :) 

You DID check your motherboard would take that CPU...BEFORE you bought it of course ???

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:28:07 AM

Quoted from the HP website on the specifications on the a6403w model:

Processor upgrade information
Socket type: 775
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades
Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale) E8xxx
Core 2 Duo E6xxx (Conroe) up to E6850
Pentium E2xxx series (Conroe) with Dual Core technology up to E2160
Core 2 Duo E4xxx (Conroe)
Celeron 4xx series (Conroe) up to Celeron 450

I was told that the chip I bought (would be buying at the time) was covered under those groups somewhere...
m
l
a c 148 à CPUs
July 25, 2012 12:41:34 AM

Nope.
Pentium D is a dual core pentium 4. (Northwood core)
All those listed are what came after p4. Conroe core came first followed by wolfdale core)

Even if it did work, it wouldnt be an improvement due to the older, slower nature of the pentium D.

Wolfsdale cpu's tend to overclock better than Conroes but at the same clock speeds they will perform nearly identical.

your best bet for a performance improvement are the core2duo's
m
l
!