First Time Build Queries

JED29

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I was wondering if some one could review my build, first time and I'd really appreciate the feedback!

i5 2500K
Asus P8Z68-V LX
Asus 6850 1GB x2 Crossfire
G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws (2x4GB) 1600MHz
Corsair 650W Enthusiast Series TXV2
Crucial M4 64GB

Going to add an HDD as and when I can afford it, will use a portable usb drive for the time being.

I haven't decided on a cooler but as I'll be buying the 2nd GPU in the future and don't intend on overclocking immediately I don't think this is a problem for now?

Was thinking of the NZXT Phantom or Bitfenix Colossus (I have heard that this is pretty poor at cooling is this true?) for the case, running on a tight budget but I was prepared to splash out a bit extra in this area.

I'll be using it for gaming, surfing and watching films - let me know what you think, thanks in advance.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Sir,
Your graphics card choice is a bit poor. You would be better suited with a 7870.
You're going to have a really tough time with only 64 gb to play around with until you get a large hdd. I suggest getting the hdd first, then adding the ssd later for your games if you decide on doing that.
If you end up getting the 7870, you'll only need around a 550w psu, which coupled with my other suggestions, should bring you to the same priced computer you have now, provided you're looking for your hardware in that right places.

JED29

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
thanks a lot, some good advice here. Would the P8Z68-V LX would be able handle two 7870's in crossfire? Assuming the PSU was upgraded of-course - Just thinking about upgrade opportunities in the far far future. In what way is it weak?