First Time Build Queries

I was wondering if some one could review my build, first time and I'd really appreciate the feedback!

i5 2500K
Asus P8Z68-V LX
Asus 6850 1GB x2 Crossfire
G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws (2x4GB) 1600MHz
Corsair 650W Enthusiast Series TXV2
Crucial M4 64GB

Going to add an HDD as and when I can afford it, will use a portable usb drive for the time being.

I haven't decided on a cooler but as I'll be buying the 2nd GPU in the future and don't intend on overclocking immediately I don't think this is a problem for now?

Was thinking of the NZXT Phantom or Bitfenix Colossus (I have heard that this is pretty poor at cooling is this true?) for the case, running on a tight budget but I was prepared to splash out a bit extra in this area.

I'll be using it for gaming, surfing and watching films - let me know what you think, thanks in advance.
5 answers Last reply
More about first time build queries
  1. I don't see a big problem, but I'd just get one Radeon 6970.
  2. Sir,
    Your graphics card choice is a bit poor. You would be better suited with a 7870.
    You're going to have a really tough time with only 64 gb to play around with until you get a large hdd. I suggest getting the hdd first, then adding the ssd later for your games if you decide on doing that.
    If you end up getting the 7870, you'll only need around a 550w psu, which coupled with my other suggestions, should bring you to the same priced computer you have now, provided you're looking for your hardware in that right places.
  3. A single 7870 would be better.
    Also, the motherboard is weak.
    Get the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 or ASRock Pro3 Gen3.
  4. thanks a lot, some good advice here. Would the P8Z68-V LX would be able handle two 7870's in crossfire? Assuming the PSU was upgraded of-course - Just thinking about upgrade opportunities in the far far future. In what way is it weak?
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product