Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power supply to run on batteries.

Last response: in Components
July 24, 2012 11:59:19 PM

I am looking for a power supply that will run off of lithium ion batteries and is mini itx or smaller. Also how much power will this build use:

ECS H61H-G11 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Thin Mini-ITX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i3-2120T Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 35W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120T

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model CT2KIT51264BC1067

Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive)

Plus 8 40 mm fans, 12" touch monitor, wifi, and bluetooth.

Also would it be better to run on 14.8 or 11.1 volts
a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 12:06:05 AM

Hi :) 

I hope you are kidding... to run a PC on batteries would take a truck load....and you would have electrical problems....huge inverter for instance lol...

You have heard of those new fangled things called LAPTOPS ???

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:10:41 AM

no i am not kidding. I am currently using a laptop right now. And it has a 4400 mah battery that lasts about 5hrs. An inverter is not needed because computers run on dc the power supply in a pc makes the 120ish volt 60Ish hz into dc power to run components.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 12:20:28 AM

William_White said:
no i am not kidding. I am currently using a laptop right now. And it has a 4400 mah battery that lasts about 5hrs. An inverter is not needed because computers run on dc the power supply in a pc makes the 120ish volt 60Ish hz into dc power to run components.

Oh dear....you dont know much about electrical systems do you....

How are you going to stabilise the voltage ?

And please look up Ohms Law...with special regard to Amperage...

And your screen would take half a truckload of batteries to run it...on its own...

More interestingly....WHY would you even want to ?

m
l
July 25, 2012 12:32:44 AM

The little stablising needed would be done by the power supply. And ohms law I am familiar with. Amperage = voltage/resitance, voltage = current x resitance and resitance= voltage/ current. I also see a 3/4" by 8" stick of batteries running my laptop just fine right now, NOT a truck load of batteries.
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:34:47 AM

popatim said:
sure you can.
car pc enthusiasts have been doing almost the same thing for years. You just need a dc-dc converter to get the pc voltages you need.
like this one for example (note the 160w limit)
http://www.mini-box.com/M2-ATX-160w-Intelligent-Automot...

that is exactly what i am looking for although Im not sure about the 160 watt limit. Does that have the needed connections to hook up to the listed system.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 12:55:32 AM

William_White said:
The little stablising needed would be done by the power supply. And ohms law I am familiar with. Amperage = voltage/resitance, voltage = current x resitance and resitance= voltage/ current. I also see a 3/4" by 8" stick of batteries running my laptop just fine right now, NOT a truck load of batteries.

Yes your laptop runs on Batteries....but for how long....and do you really think a Pc motherboard and components use the same amount of power as a Laptop motherboard and its components ??

Regarding , car users... I have done this myself.... Run a laptop in my Porsche running videos at a show.... using an INVERTER to take the 12 volts up to 19...

My massive Porsche 120 AMP/HOUR battery , lasted around 3 hours.....

But you just go ahead and reinvent the wheel......

You still didnt answer about what its for ???

m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 12:59:40 AM

Are we now talking about car lead acid batteries or still Lithium Ion ???

m
l
July 25, 2012 1:16:37 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Are we now talking about car lead acid batteries or still Lithium Ion ???

You realize that L-ion batteries have a higher energy density then lead-acids and aside from charging your your laptop wouldn't really know the difference between the two
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 1:19:32 AM

William_White said:
You realize that L-ion batteries have a higher energy density then lead-acids and aside from charging your your laptop wouldn't really know the difference between the two

Density... not capacity....

So WHAT is this unit for ????

The answer affects how we all help you ?????

m
l
July 25, 2012 1:26:06 AM

It is for a tablet pc build about the size of a calculus textbook.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 1:36:33 AM

William_White said:
It is for a tablet pc build about the size of a calculus textbook.

Lol..not quite what I meant....

WHERE will you be using it on batteries ???, where there is no mains power ?

m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b å Intel
July 25, 2012 2:27:49 AM

You will need to contact ECS and see if they will tell you how many watts the motherbd would use at idle and at full load. Same for your display. The rest is pretty easy to find with google.

Theres also an intel bd commonly used that has an integrated 100w dc-dc converter but then you'd need to power your display thru another source.
Intel DH61AG: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH61AG-Miniat...

I never assumed you'd only be using 1 battery to power this...
If thats the case though, you'd be better off buying a working laptop with a busted display and using that as your starting point.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b å Intel
July 25, 2012 2:33:54 AM

And Brett
I think you need a new battery in your Porsche. 120AH is 1440 watt-hrs so your laptop & inverter uses well over 400w... is that your gaming laptop?
m
l
July 25, 2012 5:01:54 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Lol..not quite what I meant....

WHERE will you be using it on batteries ???, where there is no mains power ?

It would be used as basically a laptop if I was to need a no mains computer I would get a netbook and 2 20 or 30 Ah battery packs.

popatim said:
You will need to contact ECS and see if they will tell you how many watts the motherbd would use at idle and at full load. Same for your display. The rest is pretty easy to find with google.

Theres also an intel bd commonly used that has an integrated 100w dc-dc converter but then you'd need to power your display thru another source.
Intel DH61AG: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH61AG-Miniat...

I never assumed you'd only be using 1 battery to power this...
If thats the case though, you'd be better off buying a working laptop with a busted display and using that as your starting point.

It would use one 19.2 or 18.4 volt 20 ah battery pack internally and any number of external batteries.
that board looks like it would work good the screen power is easy I wasn't planning on even using the power supply for the screen and the touch panel uses usb so that would go off the board power. with only a 35w tdp processor and an ssd that should leave enough for the rest of the components.

m
l

Best solution

a c 111 ) Power supply
a b å Intel
July 25, 2012 6:44:19 AM

I'd say roughly 45-50W on full load, idling would be roughly 20-25W.
August 20, 2012 5:42:45 AM

Best answer selected by William_White.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 6:02:26 AM

William_White said:
It would be used as basically a laptop if I was to need a no mains computer I would get a netbook and 2 20 or 30 Ah battery packs.

I think you meant Wh.

A 20Ah 11v pack (three cells in series) would be 220Wh, which would be one heck of a large laptop/netbook battery: around three times as much as the standard battery in today's mainstream laptops.
m
l
April 18, 2013 9:58:21 AM

Brett928S2 said:
William_White said:

Oh dear....you dont know much about electrical systems do you....

How are you going to stabilise the voltage ?

And please look up Ohms Law...with special regard to Amperage...

And your screen would take half a truckload of batteries to run it...on its own...

More interestingly....WHY would you even want to ?

I know this article is old but wanted to re-affirm that something like this is not possible.
I wasn't the greatest electrical networking student but
I was looking into making a custom mini itx desktop with an apu processor so there's no separate graphics card to pull energy, and with an ssd harddrive and a custom monitor, maybe 10" (like a tablet screen) to minimize power pulled there. I thought about trying to configure it to use a battery so that I can cart it around with me and not have to find an outlet - it would probably have a standard ps though so I could plug it in if necessary.
m
l
!