[Solved] What is AMD High Definition Audio Device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwiw60

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
hello...computer dummy here. I'm a senior citizen using Windows 7/Professional SP3. I have an AMD high def audio device (the speakers which make the sounds on my computer). After installing W7 I no longer get any 'sounds'...I have double-checked my connections, all seems to be working (the green lights on the speakers are on). The only thing I am unsure of is where the purple jack plugs into the back of my computer. There are three 'holes'...one pink, one purple, one green. I plugged the jack into the purple socket, and when I do I get a staticky pop which tells me the speakers are operating, but I get no sounds otherwise. When I put my computer 'to sleep' for the night I get the same staticky audible pop when it shuts down and also when I fire it back up.

So what could be the problem? Any/all help most appreciated.
Thank you, Mary Clendenin

iwiw60

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Thanks so much for the reply. I have plugged the jack into the green connector but I still get no sounds...help, please!:)

iwiw60

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Heading off to work shortly, but will check for driver updates this afternoon..thanks so very much for replying!

fmi83

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
AMD High definition audio device is not a soundcard used for speakers, it's actually a part of your graphics card which enables you to get audio when you connect your computer to for example a TV via a port on your graphics card named the HDMI port, you will need a HDMI cable and your TV will need a HDMI port to do this. The soundcard or integrated sound you plug your speakers into I think should be named Realtek High Definition Audio in the device manager. That is how it looks on my computer. I'm not sure why your device manager doesn't show you this. I think Windows should auto detect this sound device. Another idea is to go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ and download and Install the High Defnition Audio Codec.

Here is a page on this forum that explains what AMD High Definition Audio Device is better that I can:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/333084-10-what-high-definition-audio-device

Status
Not open for further replies.