My crx145e always fails in the final burn stage?!?

G

I'm having trouble with my Sony crx145e (2x-10x) CD recorder. When I try to burn a CD from my hard drive it always fails in the final stage. In CD creator 5.01 I get the error message something like "Could not update PMA." I don't know if it happens because the disc gets ejected when it's finished, perhaps it tries to burn the toc to the CD when it's ejected and fails?!?

I've tried Winoncd and Nero as well, but it always fails when it's time to end the burning...

My system:

Celeron 300 (not overclocked now)
Abit bh6 (latest Bios (SS I think))
128 MB
10 GB EIDE IBM (IDE-1 Master)
Pioneer 36x CD-rom(IDE-1 Slave)
Sony crx145e (Ide-2 Master)
SB Live
Asus 3400 AGP 16 MB
Windows ME !!??!! Is this the one causing the errors?

I've tried burning in 2x speed but with the same problem. It's very irrtating because all the test burns are always successful!!!

I've tried to disable Ultra DMA for all devices - but it won't work. I've also thrown around the storage devices on the 2 different IDE-channels - to no good.

I've messed around with the "auto insert notification", "disconnect" and "sync data (?)" settings in the device manager...

I've updated my mother board BIOS and reinstalled Win ME, which according to Roxios home page should work with Easy Cd Creator 5 and my burner...

I even swiftly installed win 98 and tried ECDC 5 but the problem remained.

Some questions:
1. Do I need a new fresh ASPI-driver for Win ME?
2. How should the "disconnect" and the "auto insert notification and "sync data" be set?
3. Does Direct CD interfere with other CD burning applications?
4. Can somebody help me?

Thanks!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
1. Beat it with the largest hammer you can find.
2. Return to manufacturer.
(repeat as necessary)

I had/have the same problem with a HP usb writer. I still don't think it works, but my sony one works just fine.

G

i have the same cdr but it runs perfectly. Try to use other win like 98 or w2k. Becareful with the power, try to use 1 power cable for cdr. Sometimes ram can cause error too and make sure no other application is running at background.
Did u try to put hdd on 1 cable, cdr on 1 cable with the pioneer out ?
Hope this can help.