Is System Reserved partition of windows is neccessary ??

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
At first I was using windows xp in a partition of 50GB. and installed windows 8 on that partition after a format. But now I got a new HDD, and it has no partition as usual. And at the time of install windows 8 when i'm creating partition to install win 8 it is creating another 350MB System Reserved partition. So Win 8 works with and without this System Reserved partition both. So what should I do?? what will be if I don't create System Reserved partition??? If I create a partition before installation on win xp or another software then a the time of installation of win 8 if I select the pre created partition to use then System Reserved partition is not creating and win 8 is working smoothly without that System Reserved partition. So what should I do?? Is there any prob??

alaintroll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I have seen both of the cases. In my humble opinion, is better to have the partition. Windows keeps some files there that will improve the boot process. And if you have two HDDs this partition should be on the drive that NOT contains the OS (unless you are planning to retrieve one the HDDs) for increasing performance. But be carefull, if you remove the disk in which the reserved partition is, your system will not boot.

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Suppose I have created System Reserved partition. Now when I have to format windows 8 then what will be?? Do I have to then delete System Reserved partition and the main partition and have to recreate patition?? because manually System Reserved partition cant be created, it will be created by win8 setup at the time of partition creation. What is your opinion?

It is used for the BCD store (for boot menus), Windows Recovery Environment, and for Bitlocker there might be other uses also. I think windows 7 used 100 mb while Windows 8 uses 350mb by default. You can delete the partition and repair your OS installation but it is really not worth the effort and if you remove the partition who knows what will break as new features are added to the OS.