Set slave with Nikon D70 ...?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 18, 2005 9:05:35 PM

Think Nikon D70 and Sigma EF500 DG Super flash.

I'm trying to use the built in flash on the D70 to set off the Sigma
flash which is positioned to the side of the subject. The Sigma ( slave)
will fire with the Nikon's flash but I suspect they are not in sync
.... or something. If I then take a shot without the slave the two
photographs are almost identical. I'm basically trying to get some
sidelights in this case ... to no avail.

I have set the flash LCD to display the 2 flash icons, from that point
on I'm lost.

Does anyone have a "quick fix" as the manual is Greek to me.

Please ... anybody ...;-)

Bernard

More about : set slave nikon d70

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:00:05 PM

Perhaps your D70 uses a preflash before its main flash fires.
If so, the preflash will trigger the EF500 flash out of sync with the
camera.
If the EF500 is "settable" to firing on the second flash, set it
accordingly. If it is not settable, shield its sensor with a few sheets
of Kleenex to desensitize it to the preflash, which is much weaker than
the main flash.
Bob Williams

Bernard Rother wrote:
> Think Nikon D70 and Sigma EF500 DG Super flash.
>
> I'm trying to use the built in flash on the D70 to set off the Sigma
> flash which is positioned to the side of the subject. The Sigma ( slave)
> will fire with the Nikon's flash but I suspect they are not in sync ...
> or something. If I then take a shot without the slave the two
> photographs are almost identical. I'm basically trying to get some
> sidelights in this case ... to no avail.
>
> I have set the flash LCD to display the 2 flash icons, from that point
> on I'm lost.
>
> Does anyone have a "quick fix" as the manual is Greek to me.
>
> Please ... anybody ...;-)
>
> Bernard
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 8:02:33 AM

When the D70 is set to control a slave, it does indeed send out preflashes.

GC

"Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message
> Perhaps your D70 uses a preflash before its main flash fires.
> If so, the preflash will trigger the EF500 flash out of sync with the
> camera.
> If the EF500 is "settable" to firing on the second flash, set it
> accordingly. If it is not settable, shield its sensor with a few sheets of
> Kleenex to desensitize it to the preflash, which is much weaker than the
> main flash.
> Bob Williams
>
> Bernard Rother wrote:
>> Think Nikon D70 and Sigma EF500 DG Super flash.
>>
>> I'm trying to use the built in flash on the D70 to set off the Sigma
>> flash which is positioned to the side of the subject. The Sigma ( slave)
>> will fire with the Nikon's flash but I suspect they are not in sync ...
>> or something. If I then take a shot without the slave the two photographs
>> are almost identical. I'm basically trying to get some sidelights in this
>> case ... to no avail.
>>
>> I have set the flash LCD to display the 2 flash icons, from that point on
>> I'm lost.
>>
>> Does anyone have a "quick fix" as the manual is Greek to me.
>>
>> Please ... anybody ...;-)
>>
>> Bernard

June 20, 2005 12:00:16 PM

Bernard Rother wrote:

> Think Nikon D70 and Sigma EF500 DG Super flash.
>
> I'm trying to use the built in flash on the D70 to set off the Sigma
> flash which is positioned to the side of the subject. The Sigma ( slave)
> will fire with the Nikon's flash but I suspect they are not in sync
> ... or something. If I then take a shot without the slave the two
> photographs are almost identical. I'm basically trying to get some
> sidelights in this case ... to no avail.
>
> I have set the flash LCD to display the 2 flash icons, from that point
> on I'm lost.
>
> Does anyone have a "quick fix" as the manual is Greek to me.
>
> Please ... anybody ...;-)
>
> Bernard

Set the D70 internal flash to manual to remove any preflashes.

Ronnie
June 20, 2005 1:45:50 PM

"Bernard Rother" <bprotherREMOVE1@intekom.co.za> wrote in message
news:D 91d83$fp8$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Think Nikon D70 and Sigma EF500 DG Super flash.
>
> I'm trying to use the built in flash on the D70 to set off the Sigma flash
> which is positioned to the side of the subject. The Sigma ( slave) will
> fire with the Nikon's flash but I suspect they are not in sync ... or
> something. If I then take a shot without the slave the two photographs are
> almost identical. I'm basically trying to get some sidelights in this case
> ... to no avail.
>
> I have set the flash LCD to display the 2 flash icons, from that point on
> I'm lost.
>
> Does anyone have a "quick fix" as the manual is Greek to me.
>
> Please ... anybody ...;-)
>
> Bernard

Hi there.

Unless I am mistaken the Sigma EF 500 DG Super is designed to operate
Wirelessly with the Nikon D70 and other similar Cameras.

Are you sure you have it set to operate with the Nikon, and have you set the
on board Flash to Command Mode? See camera menus.

So you should be getting several lots of Preflashes from both Flashguns.
One lot is to premeasure the flash output, and the others are the Commands
from the Camera to the Remote Flash and its replies to the Camera.

The Nikon D70 on board Flash can not be used for illuminating the scene and
Commanding a Remote at the same time.

When the D70 is in Command Mode, it only sends out Preflashes, so your scene
will only be illuminated by the Remote Flash.

I believe that if you put the Sigma onto the hotshoe, it can (like the SB
800) both contribute to illuminating the scene and Commanding another Remote
Flash.

If you wish to use both the D70 Flash and the Sigma Flash to illuminate the
scene, you will need to put both into Manual, calculate the apertures from
the guide numbers, and use the LCD and Histogram to check that the exposure
was correct. I believe the Sigma may be able to operate just as a Slave,
(different from a Wireless Remote), otherwise it may need a slave detector
fitted.

OR buy another Flash (either a Sigma or an SB 800), and let them work
together Wirelessly, with one of them on the hotshoe.

I understand that the instruction Manual for the Sigma is pretty poor, and
if it is any consolation, the instructions for the Nikon SB guns are not
much better. I have not yet had the time to fully investigate the Flash
options of the D70, other than using my SB600 remotely. When I do want to
use Multiple Flash Illumination, I will be controlling the exposures
Manually and using my flash Meter, as I have always done. So these thoughts
of mine might not be exactly true, but no doubt some-one out there knows the
full story.

Roy G
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:04:32 PM

Bernard Rother wrote:
> Think Nikon D70 and Sigma EF500 DG Super flash.
>
> I'm trying to use the built in flash on the D70 to set off the Sigma
> flash which is positioned to the side of the subject. The Sigma ( slave)
> will fire with the Nikon's flash but I suspect they are not in sync
> .... or something. If I then take a shot without the slave the two
> photographs are almost identical. I'm basically trying to get some
> sidelights in this case ... to no avail.
>
> I have set the flash LCD to display the 2 flash icons, from that point
> on I'm lost.
>
> Does anyone have a "quick fix" as the manual is Greek to me.
>
> Please ... anybody ...;-)
>
> Bernard
Thanks for all the help so far ... onto my second set of NIMH
batteries in just trying everything out. The best method so far is to
set the Sigma flash to slave and the D70 into manual flash mode and
select flash strength from the camera's menu system and check the photo
on the LCD.
I was hoping to use the D70 to throw light onto the front of the subject
and use the Sigma to light up the port side but that effect seems to be
diminishing rather quickly .
Will have a bash at putting the Kleenex tissue over the flash sensor to
reduce the pre flash pickup .... we're getting there.

( I'd love to buy studio lights or another Sigma to mount on the camera
but my ball and chain is getting twitchy about the funds heading down
Hobby Road )

Bernard
!