Sign in with
Your question

PSU not powering Graphics Card - Went through the troulbeshooting step

Last response: in Systems
April 11, 2012 8:31:16 PM

I just finished putting together my first pc and it's not turning on. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Part list:

Mobo: Gigabyte p67x-ud3-b3
Cpu: i5-2500k (stock heatsink)
Gpu: Gigabyte windforce 6850
Ram: 8gb Vengeance
Psu: Raidmax Hybrid 2 rx-730ss

All the parts are in place and everything is connected properly. When I turn it on, everything works except the graphics card. I sent the graphics card back to gigabyte and got a fresh one. There's a small red switch on the back of the power supply that in one position will have everything but the gpu turn on, and in the other will turn everything on, including the fans on the graphics card, but only for a few seconds. Then it will turn off again. Does anybody know what's going on with it?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 8:55:45 PM

Sounds like your PSU might be bad, do you have another one you can test with? Raidmax is notorious for their extremely low quality.

In general, I recommend staying away from them and buying known good brands like SeaSonic, Corsair and such. If 730 watts for $70 sounds too good to be true, that's because it is.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 9:20:19 PM

When you say it powers everything but the video card, what do you mean? What does the system do? All the fans turn on but nothing happens on the screen? If so, does it beep at you when it boots? If so, how many beeps?

In general, if the PSU is failing to power the system you'll get a black screen with potentially fans spinning in your case, but nothing working. It can look a lot like the video card is bad because the various noises your computer makes sound "alive," but unless you get a single POST beep when you turn the computer on, it's not actually working.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 9:21:26 PM

radimax PSU's are not good. Why are people still buying poop PSU's is beyond me. And the red switch lol, thats a 110v/220v switch . If you had it in the wrong position then thats your error and it is now destroyed. Please before you go building computers, learn how to do it properly first.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 9:27:21 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
radimax PSU's are not good. Why are people still buying poop PSU's is beyond me.

I spent $150 on "cheap" PSUs before I figured out just buying a quality unit to begin with costs less. Now I don't buy anything that doesn't say SeaSonic on the side, and it's been worth every penny.

People just aren't used to the huge difference in quality of PSUs compared to things like CPUs. If you get a low quality CPU, your system is slow. If you get a low quality PSU, it dies in a year or less, might kill other components in your case and can even start house fires.

It's like comparing apples to highly radioactive oranges, and it's not immediately obvious that this is the case.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 203 U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 10:01:31 PM

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...
in the photo did you plug in the 8 pin power connector near the top right. if you dont your system wont post. The same goes that you have all the power plugs on the video card filled. the other first time goof is shorting out the mb to the case. eather with putting the i/o shield on the back of the mb on wrong or forgetting to use all the brass standoff and the mb is touching in some place to the mb tray. the memory you bought is not the right voltage or not on the mb list of ram that was tested to work.
as posted above with no ram in the system..if the mb and cpu are working you should get a cmos beep code.
most people do a dry run outside there case to check that there parts are fine before putting into the case. also the doh of first building is dropping a screw and not finding it till you shake the case and find out it stuck under the mb.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2012 10:50:00 PM

Yeah raidmax psu's are garbage, but like smorizio said make sure that you have the 6 pin connector plugged in the the video card.
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:23:41 AM

willard said:
When you say it powers everything but the video card, what do you mean?

Everything I can see without screen output works. System fans, lights on the motherboard, and the optical drive all function.

I get no beep when turning it on.
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:25:54 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
If you had it in the wrong position then thats your error and it is now destroyed.

What's destroyed? :sweat: 
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:40:03 AM

smorizio said:
in the photo did you plug in the 8 pin power connector near the top right.

Check

The same goes that you have all the power plugs on the video card filled. said:
The same goes that you have all the power plugs on the video card filled.

Check

the other first time goof is shorting out the mb to the case. eather with putting the i/o shield on the back of the mb on wrong or forgetting to use all the brass standoff and the mb is touching in some place to the mb tray. the memory you bought is not the right voltage or not on the mb list of ram that was tested to work. said:
the other first time goof is shorting out the mb to the case. eather with putting the i/o shield on the back of the mb on wrong or forgetting to use all the brass standoff and the mb is touching in some place to the mb tray. the memory you bought is not the right voltage or not on the mb list of ram that was tested to work.

I'm pretty sure everything is where it belongs. If there is a short, does that mean my parts are fried completely? :sweat: 

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 203 U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 10:16:45 AM

most new mb wont post if there a dead short. the easy way to tell is to play the mb flat on top of the box it shipped with and see if it turn on.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2012 1:27:51 PM

mikefbrohanski said:
Everything I can see without screen output works. System fans, lights on the motherboard, and the optical drive all function.

I get no beep when turning it on.

Despite what you think, all that stuff you claim is working isn't really. If your computer doesn't beep when you turn it on, it's not POSTing (Power On Self Test). If your system doesn't POST, then it's not functioning in any capacity. The fact that fans are spinning and LEDs are on doesn't mean anything other than your power button works and the PSU is providing at least a few dozen watts of power.

A number of things could cause this to happen, but given the extremely low quality PSU, I'd start there. If you have another PSU you can test, that's step one. I'm expecting that with a decent PSU everything will just start working. Additionally, you can try removing the video card and using the Intel HD Graphics on the 2500k, which will dramatically reduce the load on your PSU. If either of these steps make your computer boot, then it's 100% a problem with your PSU.

Next up I'd check the memory. Pull out all but one stick of memory, and if it doesn't boot, keep trying one stick at a time until you've tried all of them.
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:51:22 PM

You can also try reseating the CPU if not seated properly you will get all of the discribed effects.
m
l
April 17, 2012 1:48:01 AM

I just tried removing a stick of RAM and the internal speaker went off. One long beep and two short ones. What does this mean?
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:07:57 AM

My computer finally works. The PSU refuses to power my internal wifi card so I borrowed a friend's external and it works great. I'm now enjoying my games at 50+ FPS thanks to you helpful folk. Thank you all so much :) 
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:19:38 AM

Lol its good to hear that because same thing happened to me like 1 year before and my problem was a defective mobo you are lucky because you have a friend that can lend you some parts to try lol i went crazy till i figured out that because it cause 2 times visit store 4 extra part purchase and returns to figure out that :D 
m
l
!