Sign in with
Your question
Solved

(mATX Cases) NZXT Vulcan vs Thermaltake Armor A30

Last response: in Components
July 25, 2012 5:36:11 AM

Hello everyone,

I've recently been compiling a list of parts for a future gaming build, but I'm tossed up as to what case to pick (I'll be using the mATX form factor) :??:  . I have it narrowed down to two cases: the NZXT Vulcan, or the Thermaltake Armor A30 (as already mentioned in the title), or if anyone can suggest a better case to use. I'm intending for this build to mainly stay at home, while still retaining the ability to take it to LAN parties, or my father's house on occasional weekends. So I obviously want a smaller and somewhat-portable case, so if in the event I want to take it anywhere, I'd be able to without too much strain.

Proposed specs:

CPU: i5 3570K - $230
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 - $104.99
MOBO: Asus Maximus V GENE (mATX) - $195
RAM: PNY XLR8 16GB (1600MHz, 4x4GB) - $90
PSU: LEPA G900 (900W) - $165
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 (in CrossFire) - $350 (x2) [$700 total] <-- I'll eventually overclock these to 1,000MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracude 2TB (7200RPM, 64MB cache) - $110
ODD: Asus BD-ROM - $54.99

Case:
NZXT Vulcan - $70

or

Thermaltake Armor A30 - $120

Total price:
w/ NZXT Vulcan - $1,489.91
w/ Thermaltake Armor A30 - 1,539.91

(Both total prices are taken from Newegg, as of the date of this post. The prices also don't include any fans, but they will be included in the end.)

I can provide links for these parts if need be.

The price difference between the two cases doesn't matter to me. And I'm aware that the Armor A30 is admittedly quite a bit smaller than the Vulcan, which would thus lead to potential heat issues. If I go with the Vulcan, I'll liquid-cool the i5. Whereas if I go with the Armor A30, I'll need a suggestion for a decent CPU cooler.

If the case can't be found on Newegg, that's perfectly okay with me. As long as it's on a trusted website like Amazon, Tigerdirect, etc etc., I'm okay with it (And if they have it in stock! :p )

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! :) 
a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 6:07:17 AM

I would take the NZXT Vulcan.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 25, 2012 6:08:58 AM

Also, an SSD will be great addition to your system!
July 25, 2012 6:14:55 AM

I was thinking the Vulcan too. I was just curious to see if anyone had found any other cases similar to it (doesn't hurt to look!) I eventually want to get an SSD (probably a 128 or 256GB), but I just want to get it up and running first. I may as well ask though, what SSD would you recommend then? I don't want anything too expensive though, as this is going to be difficult enough to save up for as-is."

I'm really surprised that I didn't pick up on the H100's price drop :lol:  , I'll have to see where the price stands when I decide to do this whole build. I'm really hoping that the prices stay around where they are now (or lower :p ), by the time I'm able to buy all of the parts.
m
l
July 31, 2012 11:58:56 PM

Best answer selected by Armanition.
m
l
!