How fast a Flash card is needed for the 20D

Folks,

How 'fast' a flash card makes sense with the Canon 20D?
For example, Sandisk has a plain vanilla 1GB card, an Extreme II,
and an Extreme III. What will be the difference with these cards in
actual use with a 20D?

Thanks

More about fast flash card needed

    winhag@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > How 'fast' a flash card makes sense with the Canon 20D?
    > For example, Sandisk has a plain vanilla 1GB card, an Extreme II,
    > and an Extreme III. What will be the difference with these cards in
    > actual use with a 20D?

    In-camera use, in ordinary circumstances, I see no significant
    difference among them. The difference emerges when downloading full
    cards from a reader, and then it's only a few seconds.

    In "shoot-the-buffer-full-and-keep-going mode", it seems to me a
    matter of a few percentage points difference in the time-to-next-shot.

    I buy the fastest I can afford, just in case (here a miracle occurs)
    sudden technology advances drive me to hardware that could use it. How
    likely is that, during the amortization period of a CF card?

    --
    Frank ess

    The 20D has an internal buffer to hold pictures until written to CF
    card. So in actual shooting you will not notice a difference until the
    buffer fills and writes to CF. If you shoot and store both RAW and
    JPEG at the same time, you would fill the buffer after one second of
    continuous shooting at 8Mpixel! So if you're shooting sports, you'd be
    concerned about reducing any wait time to continue shooting. If you're
    simply shooting a graduation, you'd not care and maybe settle for
    mid-speed. If you're a landscape photographer, go with the slowest!
    It depends upon your shooting needs as to whether or not you spend the
    money for faster CF card. 1MB for $50 (normal speed), $75 for 40X,
    $100 for 80X, typical web quotes. Pick your poison depending upon your
    shooting needs. As another post points out, the speed may also matter
    if you have a CF full of pictures and are downloading to your PC, and
    are impatient for the download time.

    Speed is only one criteria. I shoot in cold climates every year, so I wanted
    a card that I know would work in cold temps, as well. But yes, you will
    notice a difference in reading and writing files to a faster card. The
    Sandisk Extreme III cards are very nice, and rated to work in very cold and
    hot conditions.

    <winhag@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >
    > How 'fast' a flash card makes sense with the Canon 20D?
    > For example, Sandisk has a plain vanilla 1GB card, an Extreme II,
    > and an Extreme III. What will be the difference with these cards in
    > actual use with a 20D?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks all. At this point based on all the feedback, I will probably go
    with a mid-range card (e.g. 1GB Sandisk Extreme II).

    On 18 Jun 2005 10:38:52 -0700, "winhag@yahoo.com" <winhag@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Folks,
    >
    >How 'fast' a flash card makes sense with the Canon 20D?
    >For example, Sandisk has a plain vanilla 1GB card, an Extreme II,
    >and an Extreme III. What will be the difference with these cards in
    >actual use with a 20D?

    In setting up my 20D kit, I've standardized on the Sandisk Extreme III
    in 1 and 2 Gig sizes. I want the fastest cards as I know I'll at some
    point be moving to a FF Canon and it will help. Also the speed makes a
    big difference when unloading a 2 Gig card with a USB2 card reader
    which if full of CR2 files.

    Why be cheap on the media where your images will be?

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    In article <1119116332.777088.319410@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    "winhag@yahoo.com" <winhag@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > How 'fast' a flash card makes sense with the Canon 20D?
    > For example, Sandisk has a plain vanilla 1GB card, an Extreme II,
    > and an Extreme III. What will be the difference with these cards in
    > actual use with a 20D?
    >
    > Thanks

    You can find some charts on the internet. Of course it only matters if
    you're shooting faster than the card. The camera's internal buffer lets
    you shoot bursts without waiting.

    Why do you want a fast 1GB card? If you're shooting fast enough to
    worry about write speeds, you're probably shooting fast enough to fill a
    1GB card in a hurry.

    winhag@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > How 'fast' a flash card makes sense with the Canon 20D?
    > For example, Sandisk has a plain vanilla 1GB card, an Extreme II,
    > and an Extreme III. What will be the difference with these cards in
    > actual use with a 20D?

    Depends on the camera's fireware and hardware. I'm sure someone has done
    some tests to show which cards work the best? On my E-300 extreme II's
    transfer at ~5MBs while the III does just over 9MBs with the latest
    fireware. Like others said it also helps with download speeds even if the
    camera can't upload any faster with the "extra" speed of the III cards.

    --

    Stacey

    Advice: you should first have a look here:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7303

    Cheers,

    Marius

    "winhag@yahoo.com" <winhag@yahoo.com> writes:
    > Folks,
    >
    > How 'fast' a flash card makes sense with the Canon 20D?
    > For example, Sandisk has a plain vanilla 1GB card, an Extreme II,
    > and an Extreme III. What will be the difference with these cards in
    > actual use with a 20D?

    I can notice a pretty sizeable difference on my 300D between the
    vanilla and Extreme II cards. I haven't quantified it yet though.
    IMO, the extreme II seems worth the extra $15.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

Photo Flash Cameras