Help with $800-$1000 gamin pc

SillyGooseStuff

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 months

Budget Range: $800-$1,000 Would like to save a little money and stay toward the lower end of my budget range, but I will suck it up and throw up some more cash if it will get me a major boost in performance.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, movies, school work and your basic surfing.

Parts Not Required: Mouse and keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com, tigerdirect.com or anywhere else I can get a good deal.

Parts Preferences:by brand or type - None.

Overclocking: No idea

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, but not necessary

Monitor Resolution: Currently looking for a new monitor as well in the $200 ish price range so help with that would be sweet

Additional Comments: I'm not the biggest gamer but I do plan on playing Diablo 3 a lot and would love a pc that could play it on high settings (ultra settings would be better :p I would love for the build to last a few years before needing to upgrade every part. So I'll defiitely go for throwing out some more cash (not over $1,000 thoguh) to get it where i need to get it. Also my first computer build so i pretty much don't know too much on what I'm doing besides what info im picking up reading through some forums here. A friend found me a build I was hoping you guys could look at and let me know what you think.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 Motherboard ($100)

CPU

Intel Core i5-2500K ($220)

RAM

Patriot G2 Series 8GB DDR3 (1600 Mhz) ($50)

Video Card

EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB ($230)

Sound Card

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 7.1 ($30)

Hard Drive

Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($100)

Optical Drive

Sony Optiarc 24x DVDRW Drive ($18)

Case

Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower ($50)

Power Supply

Corsair Builder Series CX600 (600W) ($50)

That build look alright? Looking for all the help and suggestions I can get. Thanks.

SillyGooseStuff

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Definitely makes sense. Thinking about tryign to just build the best I can now for my budget and just get parts I can add onto in the near future. Should I throw money toward a SSD right now? and if so which one? Also, any advice on whats a really good monitor to get these days for somewhere in the $200 range?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I'd wait right now on the SSD. We're right at the point where the next-generation SSDs will be coming out from OCZ Indilinx, LSI SandForce, and Marvell. These new SSDs will not increase on the peak sequential read/write speed, but on the random read/write speed (IOPS). Right now the Vertex 4 is the only "next-gen" SSD on the market but it has some teething issues in the current firmware so I'd wait on that.

SillyGooseStuff

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Sounds good. Definitely going to keep reading on that for future upgrades. Also is there anything you would add that would drastically improve performance? Still have about $200 ish to play with for the desktop and another $200 for the monitor.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I'd say check back at purchasing time on the state of the SSD market. We'll probably see Marvell's new controller, some updated Indilinx numbers, and a new SandForce controller. I'm not sure about the time frame though.

Lokordd

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Ditch the sound card, upgrade to an SLI, X fire board, and pony up another 100 bucks for a 7850 GPU, and spend another 30 or 40 bucks to get a better quality/wattage psu. then in a year or two all you do is buy a another grafix card and you are running everything at max again. If you decide not to you are still running everything.