Sign in with
Your question

Bios presets and blue screens

Last response: in Components
July 25, 2012 7:42:59 AM

This is also posted in another thread in the Windows 7 forums. I did that because I thought it may be related to a bug I was experiencing in windows. I'm going to post it here as its own problem because I feel that it is more likely then not a seperate issue. If this is a problem, I will accept anything the moderators decide is best.

My PC specs, with no overclocks:

Processor: Intel I5-2500 @ 3.3ghz
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6850
RAM: 8 GBs Corsair vengence (4gbx2)
Motherboard: P8z68-V LX
Hard drive: 500gb WD Caviar Green + 500 gb Seagate external
Power supply: Seasonic 650w modular

-----------------------------------------------

The motherboard I have has 3 options for preset "modes." They vary the power consumption, noise level, and performance. I know nothing more about what they do then is obvious. They are changed in the bios by pressing large graphical buttons.

The first one has a leaf on green shaded speedometer, and is called "Energy saver." It has the lowest performance, and noise level, but the lowest energy consumption as well. This is what I have been using as my "standard" for then entire life of the computer or about 7 months. In this mode, the computer overall is very stable, with no major crashes outside of one which will be explained later. 12 hours of Prime95 on "blend" revealed no hardware issues.

The second one has what looks to be a speedometer, colored blue, and labeled "Normal." This has more performance, at the cost of more noise, and more energy consumption. During a about 8 hours of use, this "mode" seemed to be stable as well. I had no issues with crashes and programs seemed to work as intended. I however did not stress test this mode at all, and the most demanding thing I did while on it was watch a 1980's movie, Clue, while browsing the web.

The last mode is called "Asus optimized" and is, again, a speedometer. It is colored like fire and this mode favors performance over all else. And this mode appears to be anything but stable. In fact in a total of about 3 hours on this mode I have blue screened 5 times. Three of them referenced the Computer Browser Service in the event log. The fifth one, which occurred after 4 minutes and 37 seconds of prime95, had a generic "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Between the first four blue screens and the last one, there was a reformat of the drive. This was done due to it blue screening while in safe mode running chkdsk. I never checked the log, nor was I able to fully read the blue screen on this crash. I just booted directly from a CD and formatted the drive at that point. Figuring the system was a total loss.

The system was free of malware at all times according to Malwarebytes, Super anti-spyware, and Comodo. At no point during the process did the CPU temps go above 57c. The GPU temps never passed 65c. Hard drive temps hover around 35c for the internal, while the external hovers around 50c.

I'm mildly concerned about a hardware issue. I appear to have a great plenty of room on my power supply's voltage. My temperatures are all well within the "safe zones" at all times, and have been monitored with multiple programs. And even under extreme load I cant produce the errors on the lower settings.

I dont mind staying away from the "performance" setting. I would, however, like to know if this is a red flag for critical hardware issues. And what I should watch out for. Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

An after thought: I do experience infrequent application hangs on a variety of programs, that seem to be increasing in frequency. However this could just seem that way due to me paying more attention, and it isnt universal across all programs.

July 25, 2012 11:13:35 AM

Have you run memtest on your ram? http://www.memtest86.com/download.html Ram is the biggest culprit in % for BSOD's.
The optimized mode is some sort of overclocking and looks to be pushing one or another component to hard.
m
l
July 26, 2012 1:56:32 AM

I have yet to run memtest. I have, however downloaded it and burnt it to a CD. I will be running it in the days to come, and I will update this thread upon its completion.

I wonder if it could be that I was "surging" my hardware by changing bios settings on mere restarts, instead of fully shutting down. I'm under the impression I should have shut down the computer, and unplugged it for a while before trying to use it after the change. Just a thought.

m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2012 2:04:29 AM

No tweaking BIOS like you are doing should work fine.
m
l
July 26, 2012 2:28:27 AM

be sure to run memtest at least all night long.
m
l
!