GeForce 8800GT died, replacing under 150$

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (ASAP (the closer the better)) BUDGET RANGE: (CAD under $150, preferably under $100) After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Gaming [Mass Effect 3, 2, 1 and Skyrim, Fallout NV], home theater/watching movies)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: (GeForce 8800GT died, using mobo integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 in interim. PSU is Thermaltake TR2-500PP)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (CPU is AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4200, MoBo is Asus M2A-VM HDMI, 4GB RAM)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg.ca, ???)
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (Canada)

PARTS PREFERENCES: (no idea here)

OVERCLOCKING: no idea
OR CROSSFIRE: no idea

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1280x1024 with potential upgrade in future)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (I am pretty new to this - never purchased unassembled hardware before. Also, I realize that some components of the system are pretty old, but I'm looking to work with what I've got. Open to any and all advice. I'm content to get something of high value at the lower end so that I can play the abovementioned games on mid settings. Thanks!)
8 answers Last reply
More about geforce 8800gt died replacing
  1. A 6770. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102940

Make sure you update your motherboard drivers.
  2. Thanks for the feedback. Forgot to mention that my OS is XP Professional. Any reason that this would be a problem?
  3. Not unless you want to play some of the new games that only support Dx10 and over like Battlefield 3.

At his resolution, a 6850 would be a waste of money since a GDDR5 6770 could probably push high settings at a decent framerate anyways, and with a 6770 wouldn't be CPU bottlenecked like a 6850 would in his system.
  4. No need actually to worry, only you'll not use DirectX 11
  5. Thanks! Went with the Sapphire 6770.
  6. refillable said:
    A 6770. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102940

Make sure you update your motherboard drivers.

I was able to update my BIOS, but not sure how to update my motherboard drivers. Could anyone give me a step-by-step walkthrough? I'm wary of breaking something.
  7. go to the manufacturer of your motherboard's website, choose the right model and they will have the download page. It should let you update your drivers. But If I am not wrong the BIOS is only what you need.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product