Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer not booting up

Last response: in Systems
April 11, 2012 11:48:26 PM

I just made a new computer and I thought I did the correct research to see what was compatible with each other but I guess not.

The computer turns on,all fans work,except it doesn't boot up. I don't think that it even registers my hardrive since I dont see any busy lights on the front of the case.

Specs:
Case: Rosewill Ranger Gaming Mid tower
MB:ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU: AMD X4 960T + Hyper 212 plus cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: (2x) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU:Radeon HD 6770
CD/DVD: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
PSU: : CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS

-I bought a new MB,Case,CD/DVD and RAM. Everything else was preused from my own rig which ran perfectly.

-Currently, when I threw in one stick of the 8gb of ram in and turned it on with the hdmi cable connected from the gpu to the tv, i dont see anything.

-There is a little lightbulb on the motherboard and it turns on green when I start the computer so I think that is a sign that the motherboard is not
defective.

-The issue COULD be the ram since I didn't see any mention of AMD on the cover of the ram packaging. I'm hoping that is not the case.

- Not sure if this is a factor, but I usd the SATA cables that came with the motherboard to connect my hard drive. They're black, while the ones i used previously were red cables.

Please I need some advice/help fast! I'm tired of using laptops =\

More about : computer booting

a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2012 12:23:36 AM

Follow this link to check on RAM compatibility with your motherboard (if you think that's an issue):
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97/#MSL
you want the pdf under "global" (not the DLM).
The SATA cables should work (they are "backward" compatible).
You aren't trying to boot into your "old" install of Vista are you? You should do a clean install.
Lets try that for now.
April 12, 2012 12:40:03 AM

Oh I am trying to boot into my "old install of vista", maybe that's why. Does that also interfere with the bios booting up aswell?

I looked through the RAM compatibility and found that none of the 8 gb were listed, which is weird since the motherboard did say it supported 32gb max of ram with 4 slots of DIMM, so I assumed it can support the 8gb rams. But I don't think it necessarily means they will not work on the motherboard,right?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2012 12:50:31 AM

bloojays23 said:
Oh I am trying to boot into my "old install of vista", maybe that's why. Does that also interfere with the bios booting up aswell?

I looked through the RAM compatibility and found that none of the 8 gb were listed, which is weird since the motherboard did say it supported 32gb max of ram with 4 slots of DIMM, so I assumed it can support the 8gb rams. But I don't think it necessarily means they will not work on the motherboard,right?

Yes you should re-install your OS. You radically changed your system and your OS doesn't recognize any of it. Pull your CMOS battery (for like 5 minutes or so) then try to boot into bios. You'll have to "boot" from your OS disk.
The QVL (Qualified Vendors List) is a list of RAM that should work on that board. Other RAM might work - but ASUS' isn't saying that it will. If you have 2 sticks of RAM make sure they are in the "blue" slots.
April 12, 2012 1:16:20 AM

What is the difference between the black and blue ram slots on the motherboard?

And since the CD/DVD burner drive I bought is brand new, would that matter at all?

EDIT: I just realized I may have not plugged in the power for the CPU on the motherboard, I'm not sure if I did or not but if it's not connected and it boots up after that, then I'm going to slap myself for a bone head mistake like that.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2012 1:36:33 AM

bloojays23 said:

And since the CD/DVD burner drive I bought is brand new, would that matter at all?

The blue slots are the primary slots for 2 - sticks of ram. It should be in your ASUS manual. For dual-channel operation you should use the blue slots first. If you only have two sticks then that's where they go. With three or four sticks you can use the black ones also, but don't use the black until the blue are filled. It's the way the slots are wired. The cd/dvd has nothing to do with your issue. You either need a new, clean HDD or you're going to have to lose what you have on your old one. I suggest that you buy a new hard drive and install windows on it. Use your old drive for storage/programs after you eliminate your old copy of vista.(keep whatever else is on it if you want to.) Your problem is another example of why I always council builders to use boards with display outputs. If after all this your GPU is whats bad you won't know it unless you have another GPU to try. If your board had a display port you would know (assuming you get a picture) that either your GPU or your motherboard slot was faulty. You must also stick your single GPU in the blue PCIe slot. I know I'm all over the place but I'm reading your manual and looking up stuff. Sorry.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2012 1:37:13 AM

bloojays23 said:

EDIT: I just realized I may have not plugged in the power for the CPU on the motherboard, I'm not sure if I did or not but if it's not connected and it boots up after that, then I'm going to slap myself for a bone head mistake like that.

That would do it also.
April 12, 2012 1:52:57 AM

Chaz21 said:
The blue slots are the primary slots for 2 - sticks of ram. It should be in your ASUS manual. For dual-channel operation you should use the blue slots first. If you only have two sticks then that's where they go. With three or four sticks you can use the black ones also, but don't use the black until the blue are filled. It's the way the slots are wired. The cd/dvd has nothing to do with your issue. You either need a new, clean HDD or you're going to have to lose what you have on your old one. I suggest that you buy a new hard drive and install windows on it. Use your old drive for storage/programs after you eliminate your old copy of vista.(keep whatever else is on it if you want to.) Your problem is another example of why I always council builders to use boards with display outputs. If after all this your GPU is whats bad you won't know it unless you have another GPU to try. If your board had a display port you would know (assuming you get a picture) that either your GPU or your motherboard slot was faulty. You must also stick your single GPU in the blue PCIe slot. I know I'm all over the place but I'm reading your manual and looking up stuff. Sorry.

It's fine if you're all over the place. I actually understood all of that. I never new that blue/black slots had a specific reasoning behind them, so now I do. I usually never read manuals unless I have a problem or question about what plugs goes into what but now I will learn. Thanks for the help though, I feel bad making you read through pages and pages of the manual to help a lazy person like me. Haha.

I also have an off topc question, I was wondering if the sound card on my motherboard is sufficient for music/gaming/movies? I use some pretty expensive headphones like dre.beats, but my main headphones are the Shure SRH440 ( LINK ) and my 2.1 stereo system , so i was thinking about getting a new sound card like a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS ( LINK ). Would I notice a significant difference with the aftermarket sound card?
April 12, 2012 2:03:52 AM

The blue and black colored slots aren't always consistent. Some companies will have them in a different order, or want you to place one stick in a different color. Always read the manual.

As far as the soundcard, I've never noticed a difference, but I'm not an audiophile :lol: 
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2012 2:21:02 AM

I also have an off topc question, I was wondering if the sound card on my motherboard is sufficient for music/gaming/movies? I use some pretty expensive headphones like dre.beats, but my main headphones are the Shure SRH440 ( LINK ) and my 2.1 stereo system , so i was thinking about getting a new sound card like a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS ( LINK ). Would I notice a significant difference with the aftermarket sound card?
You've got 8 channel sound on-board. That should be sufficient.
April 12, 2012 5:40:20 AM

Ok so I did forget to plug in the power for the CPU. -.- Now it's working but now once it finishes up loading the bios and goes to the windows loading screen, it reboots. I dont know what is the cause, but I'm upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit which will have me do a full clean install since im going from 32 to 64 bit.

Some minor problems so far is:
- I got 2 bios errors saying something along the lines of " Overclocking failed/failure pres f1" Not sure what that means but moving on.
- I got another error saying " CPU fan error - not sure what is causing this since I correctly plugged in my 4pin connector from the hyper 212 plus cpu cooler into the cpu fan header on the motherboard ( the header in the middle of the 3) and the black plug is on ground

-Another weird thing is when i go into bios to check on my ram frequencies, they give me these weird options for the ram like ( 1439, or 17XX). I'm assuming 1439 is 1333 since I boot up with 16 gigs of DDR3 ram at 1333mhz even though they're 1600Mhz. So im wondering if the 17xxx Mhz would be referring to the 1600hz.

EDIT: Windows 7 finished installing in less than 5 mins. Surprisingly fast.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2012 6:05:47 AM

rams now have what called a jdec that has two or three stock speeds and a xmp profile in them. cpu-z will read the jdec and dell you the stock speeds and the xmp profile of your memory. the f1 message is just telling you that you had an issue or have an issues with some setting in the bios. i would go in and seclet system default and see if that message pops up. on the fan header you could have missed a pin or the whole row. also check to see if the pin your plugging into should be black..red or another color.
April 12, 2012 6:16:55 AM

bloojays23 said:
Ok so I did forget to plug in the power for the CPU. -.- Now it's working but now once it finishes up loading the bios and goes to the windows loading screen, it reboots. I dont know what is the cause, but I'm upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit which will have me do a full clean install since im going from 32 to 64 bit.

Some minor problems so far is:
- I got 2 bios errors saying something along the lines of " Overclocking failed/failure pres f1" Not sure what that means but moving on.
- I got another error saying " CPU fan error - not sure what is causing this since I correctly plugged in my 4pin connector from the hyper 212 plus cpu cooler into the cpu fan header on the motherboard ( the header in the middle of the 3) and the black plug is on ground

-Another weird thing is when i go into bios to check on my ram frequencies, they give me these weird options for the ram like ( 1439, or 17XX). I'm assuming 1439 is 1333 since I boot up with 16 gigs of DDR3 ram at 1333mhz even though they're 1600Mhz. So im wondering if the 17xxx Mhz would be referring to the 1600hz.

EDIT: Windows 7 finished installing in less than 5 mins. Surprisingly fast.

The reboot is because of the dissimilar hardware.

go into the bios and reset the settings to default. Overclocking failed means the board was previously set to OC the chip.
Not sure on the CPU fan error. It's really a 1 way 1 port type of thing. Does the bios show the fan speed? is the fan spinning?

typically 1600 ram clocks in the bios at 1333. Do you have different clocked ram in the system?
April 12, 2012 7:02:34 AM

I'll try defaulting it . I never OC the chip before. It could be default that the bios has OC on for the chip but I never OC my gpu,ram,cpu or anything else. The CPU is spinning,not fast i think though I am getting 16C for all 4 cores. It read the RPM of the CPU fan at 590~ which is below the mininum RPM for the hyper 212+( 600~1200 RPM I think).

The ram I installed were brand new 2x 8gb DDR3 1600 240 pin ram. Those are the only ram installed.

~~~~~ I was wondering,I was reading around and some people were talking about how 1.5v was unstable for 1600, should I bring the ram up to 1.65v?
@smorizo

Ill check on the headers again but I'm pretty sure it's black on ground, since there is only ONE way to put the connecter on the header. Maybe one of the pins is bent...We'll see.

Here is what i got:
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2012 11:19:24 AM

Glad to hear it was such a simple fix. You could try increasing your volts to 1.65 and see if that helps (see if you can set your ram to 1600Mhz first). If your temps are 16c you've got nothing to worry about with your hyper 212. Just keep monitoring it while under load and see what happens.
April 12, 2012 8:51:21 PM

I tried to set it up to 1600 Mhz after enabling Manual control over speeds but now it doesn't boot up to bios. Now it's stuck on "1439" frequency again. I don't think it'll let me use 1600Mhz.
April 22, 2012 12:10:01 AM

Best answer selected by bloojays23.
!