Sign in with
Your question

Need help on 3770k build - general Qs.

Last response: in Systems
April 11, 2012 11:57:42 PM

I am building a new system for ivybridge, mainly for gaming (d3 + fps). My friend was supposed to help me, but he hasn't been any help. I am building it in an Antec 300 case. I only have my SSD for it. I know I want the 3770K, but I don't know components to use. I am leaning ASRock Extreme4. It seems like the best bang for the buck. But I really don't know much about computers. I have a few questions.

1. Is the ASRock Extreme4 motherboard the best MB for the price? And would it have enough connections for my case fans? (I think it had the most Sata 6.0 and usb 3.0s around the price)

2. Should I replace the stock CPU heatsink/fan right away? (Looking at Hyper212+ or H80, but then I thought that maybe with a brand new cpu, they may be decently cooled)

3. The RAM stated is usually 1600mhz, unless overclocked. Do I want overclocked RAM?

4. How do I calculate how much wattage I would need? (PSU)

5. Leaning Twin Frozr 560Ti 2GB. Any other thoughts?

Thank you for ANY input.

More about : 3770k build general

April 12, 2012 12:05:12 AM

1. Yes it is.
2. Yes.
3. No. OCed RAM has no real world benefits.
4. Use a PSU Calc or base it on benchmark sites like Guru3D.
5. Good choice!
m
l
April 12, 2012 12:07:42 AM

Yes, I think you should replace the cooler right away. Even if they improve the design of what comes in the box, you won't be able to do real overclocking with it.

As for your PSU, I usually calculate CPU, GPU, then other components...So for example, when I built my rig, I looked at the TDP->added on power requirements from GPU->then added an extra 100 watts onto that.

3770k = 77w TDP
560 Ti = Approx 170w (Taken from HWcompare.com)
Total so far = 244w, now add 100w = 344w approx. Then I usually look at PSU's that would be at 50%-ish load using 344w (650w PSU's). Sorry if I confused ya, ask any questions you have!

Anyway as for your GPU, I would personally go for the HD7850... I know drivers are still a bit rough on em but they can only get better from this point forward. And I know that they overclock like a champ to reach performance near Gtx580's.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 12:56:32 AM

Thanks for the info.

For the motherboard (ASRock Extreme4 z77), it doesn't specifically say it has PCI express 2.0 slots, just 3.0 and express. will a graphics card with PCI express 2.0 fit into the same 3.0 slot?

I think the CPU fan is what I am contemplating the most right now. I originally wanted a Zalman 9900Max, but I read some complaints that it is extremely heavy and could stress the board. So I looked into the Corsair H60, but I turned to liking the H80. I don't want to overclock too much, and I don't want overkill. Maybe 4.0 or a little higher depending on how it's running. So I had been reading on the Cooler Master Hyper212+, but it seems cheap. Should I just splurge on water cooling? I may make a post on their forums specifically.

I am also considering an ASUS GTX 570. Would you still recommend the 7850 over it?
m
l
April 12, 2012 12:59:03 AM

That is a lot of processor for that GPU. It's really not going to be an issue for Diablo 3, but if you get into something like BF3 that you want to run on Max settings in a 64 player map, you're going to want to spring for a better GPU. If your build is "Mainly for Gaming", you should also consider that the difference between the i7 and the i5 basically boils down to hyperthreading, which isn't necessary for gaming. If there's not a specific reason for you to have hyperthreading, then consider the i5-3570k which is the ivy bridge successor to the i5-2500k
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:01:37 AM

For cooling i recommend the hyper 212 + or hyper 212 EVO, they don't cost very much and provide reliable cooling similar to higher end and much higher cost closed loop water cooling.
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:27:16 AM

Azok said:
I am building a new system for ivybridge, mainly for gaming (d3 + fps). My friend was supposed to help me, but he hasn't been any help. I am building it in an Antec 300 case. I only have my SSD for it. I know I want the 3770K, but I don't know components to use. I am leaning ASRock Extreme4. It seems like the best bang for the buck. But I really don't know much about computers. I have a few questions.

1. Is the ASRock Extreme4 motherboard the best MB for the price? And would it have enough connections for my case fans? (I think it had the most Sata 6.0 and usb 3.0s around the price)

2. Should I replace the stock CPU heatsink/fan right away? (Looking at Hyper212+ or H80, but then I thought that maybe with a brand new cpu, they may be decently cooled)

3. The RAM stated is usually 1600mhz, unless overclocked. Do I want overclocked RAM?

4. How do I calculate how much wattage I would need? (PSU)

5. Leaning Twin Frozr 560Ti 2GB. Any other thoughts?

Thank you for ANY input.

If you plan on pushing dual 560 ti's then you want a 750w psu seeing how those cards use more juice then say dual 6950's...which you can get by with a 650w psu, but not for dual 560 ti's.
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:32:32 AM

Well now that I will probably get the ASRock Extreme4, I have more to spend on a GPU, so I am leaning GTX 570 now. If I can put a 2.0 in a PCIe 3.0 slot.
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:37:24 AM

@kelthic, well i don't know anything about hyperthreading. i just know that i wanted one of the new processors that i can use for a few years, so i've been waiting for these.

i know that 560+ is overkill for d3, but i will be playing some bf or cod, and nba2k(xx), lol. i don't care about MAX settings on EVERYTHING. but i don't really want to spend more than $300ish.
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:44:43 AM

PCIe is all backwards and forward compatible.
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:47:35 AM

Quote:
@kelthic, well i don't know anything about hyperthreading. i just know that i wanted one of the new processors that i can use for a few years, so i've been waiting for these.

Hyperthreading is a technology on some Intel processors that allows the processor to more efficiently process highly "threaded" code in programs. Since video games are generally not highly threaded, i don't think you will need this technology so you can drop your CPU to the I5-3570k.

Based on this http://www.tested.com/news/news/articles/3323-leaked-in..., i'm estimating that will save you about $100. I'm also estimating, based on http://www.pcworld.com/article/252948/intel_ivy_bridge_..., this processor will launch on April 29th, which is the same day as the 3770k, so no loss there. http://vr-zone.com/articles/even-more-ivy-bridge-detail... shows a difference of 100MHz between the 3770k and 3570k, but an overclock will eliminate this difference

Since you have another $100 now, i assume that's going to put you in the 400-450 range for your gpu, so consider http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:10:40 AM

kelthic said:
Quote:

Hyperthreading is a technology on some Intel processors that allows the processor to more efficiently process highly "threaded" code in programs. Since video games are generally not highly threaded, i don't think you will need this technology so you can drop your CPU to the I5-3570k.

Based on this http://www.tested.com/news/news/articles/3323-leaked-in..., i'm estimating that will save you about $100. I'm also estimating, based on http://www.pcworld.com/article/252948/intel_ivy_bridge_..., this processor will launch on April 29th, which is the same day as the 3770k, so no loss there. http://vr-zone.com/articles/even-more-ivy-bridge-detail... shows a difference of 100MHz between the 3770k and 3570k, but an overclock will eliminate this difference

Since you have another $100 now, i assume that's going to put you in the 400-450 range for your gpu, so consider http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

+1 on everything but the 580. That card is a power hog and then some. Your looking at a spendy psu to push two of those cards in SLI. I would even look at the 7870 or hopefully Nvidia will have it's 670 and 660 out by the end of his month...although I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:00:18 PM

who mentioned a 580? I am still partial to 3770k, because i want this computer to be good for years to come. and is it possible that i would want hyperthreading in 3 years? and why_me, i only want one graphics card in my set up.
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:33:05 PM

The 3570K will be GREAT for years to come! You will not even notice a difference between that and the I7 version. If you have no interest in an SLI/Xfire setup now you might in 2 years when you want to run a new game at decent settings. I really can't recommend enough to go with the I5 and put that extra hundred bucks towards the 7950,7990, or 680 (if you can find one). Or just save the hundred bucks and get the 7850, OC it and you are doing better then a 570 by a good margin. Then in a few years when that card is dirt cheap just drop another one in and you are at the top of the game again!
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:04:56 PM

Lokordd said:
The 3570K will be GREAT for years to come! You will not even notice a difference between that and the I7 version. If you have no interest in an SLI/Xfire setup now you might in 2 years when you want to run a new game at decent settings. I really can't recommend enough to go with the I5 and put that extra hundred bucks towards the 7950,7990, or 680 (if you can find one). Or just save the hundred bucks and get the 7850, OC it and you are doing better then a 570 by a good margin. Then in a few years when that card is dirt cheap just drop another one in and you are at the top of the game again!

I think you are better off going with a 7870 card. The 7870 performs out of the box close to that of a Nvidia 580.
m
l
April 12, 2012 7:18:48 PM

Quote:
Or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102962 for a graphics card.

I had originally linked the 580. Once i found the 7950, i linked that instead.

I'm still in the 3570k park. I really don't see any reason for hyperthreading in the foreseeable future.
m
l
April 13, 2012 11:42:16 AM

So you guys have convinced me to go 3570k and go asus hd7870.

so with that cpu, gpu, 4x4gb ram, 4 cases fans, 1-2 cpu heatsink fans, 120gb ssd (soon an external drive), and 1-2 disc drives, an antec earthwatts 650w would be sufficient?
m
l
April 30, 2012 5:42:08 PM

So how about if you use TVersity to stream? Currently I could be playing League of Legends, and using my same computer to stream(transcode if needed) to as many as 2 other devices. Would Hyper threading help me here? I would think yes, with the transcoding.
m
l
!