Coil Noise Free PSU

G

Hi everyone. I have recently built a new system and I have noticed a rather annoying buzzing sound coming from my Corsair GS800 PSU whenever my MSI N580 Twin Frozr II/OC ramps up. Unfortunately I can't RMA the power supply as I have lost the necessary paperwork and from what I have read online there is a pretty high chance the new one will be the same anyway. So I have decided to admit defeat and just buy a new one. Before I do this though I wanted to get the opinions of people on here. What PSU would you recommend I go for? I would like to have at least 700W preferably 750W. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi there, all u need is a good one and @ 600W u have a plenty

to power your machine : ))

This one is @ 650W, but its a great deal on great PSU.

And its way more than u need. But the price is right.

QUIET COOLING
An ultra-quiet double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying fan speed in response to temperature.

SUPERIOR PROTECTION
Over-voltage and over-current protection, under-voltage protection, and short circuit protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
AA79079a.jpg

G

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know what the coil noise it like on the tx650?

If u touch it, u feel its running, but no noise.

Seasonic built unit, high amps on the 12v rail, 80 plus bronze certified, runs quiet, good build quality, heavy (typically a good sign with power supplies), reasonably priced,

5 year warranty, Corsair = reliable brand

QUIET COOLING
An ultra-quiet double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying fan speed in response to temperature.

G

Thank's Nikkor i'll definitely check that one out. I was also thinking about the Seasonic x series. Any thoughts on this?

G

I'm not sure what it is to be honest. All i know is that the PSU starts making a buzzing sound the second I open any games. Even games that aren't very demanding, like Minecraft. Also, it makes a high pitched squeal when I run the Windows Experience Index assessment.

Same thing with Seasonic.

I have M12II and its quiet, that's why I got it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

The Seasonic X is premium class.. Loaded with the best in PSU business : )

The X Series adopts a clever “Hybrid Silent Fan Control” design, which offers three distinct operation modes, fanless mode, silent mode, and cooling mode.

The X automatically adjusts fan mode and speed according to the ambient temperature level. This brand new design not only optimizes heat dissipation, but also prolongs the lifespan of the system by reducing unnecessary fan rotation.

To make the X Series even more robust and exciting, Sea Sonic offers a Sanyo Denki San Ace PWM Silent Fan, the best fan there is in the industry, to take advantage of the PWM feature.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
I'm not sure what it is to be honest. All i know is that the PSU starts making a buzzing sound the second I open any games. Even games that aren't very demanding, like Minecraft. Also, it makes a high pitched squeal when I run the Windows Experience Index assessment.

When its makeing the noise, try putting you ear near the fan.
See if its coming from the fan by stopping it for a while.

G

Good idea - will give that a try. How do you suppose I go about stopping the fan?

G

So i'm not likely to experience any coil whine with the seasonic x series?

G

Ok might give that a try. Not sure there's much point though; from what I've read online it's fairly common with the GS series PSUs.

G

Everything. I threw away the box and forgot I had left all the papers in it. The main thing is I don't have the invoice.

G

lol :) I didn't even think I'd need them. I just assumed it would be fine because it was made by Corsair. Hopefully i'll have better luck with the new one

G

Yeah I think ur right with their higher end ones but I don't think the GS800 is

G

Thanks for that link. That'll come in quite handy when choosing a new one to buy