ASUS Essence ST w H6

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I own a Xonar Essence ST + Xonar H6 extension card. I want to upgrade the op-amps on them
and seeking assistance. I want to upgrade to TI BB OPA637BP from JRC2114D at the I/V
conversion section, and to TI LME49720HA from LM4562NA at the output buffer
section. Is this upgrade possible?

Please Help..

Should be; the Essence line features swappable op-amps.

I'm not sure how many guys we have on this forum that do things like that on a regular basis though. I know the guys over at Guru3D do this type of thing a lot, so you might want to drop by over there.

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
gamerk316: do you mean that i need to drop by guru3d forum? or there are specific people at guru3d whom i can contact somehow from guru3d website?

outlw6669: yes i have searched through many threads regarding opamp ugrades of essence st/stx but no one speaks of opamp compatibility at the cards I/V conversion section and the analog output buffer section. And also I did not yet find any thread which speaks of exotic opamps like opa637 for I/V conversion section of essence st specifically any where in them.

Please Help, and thanks a lot for your assistance.

I also contacted asus about this, this is our conversation-- basically they wont say anything.

ME:

Hi, I am Swarnendu Dutta, I own a Xonar Essence ST + Xonar H6 extension card.
I want to upgrade the op-amps on them and seeking assistance. I want to upgrade
to Ti OPA637BP from JRC2114D at the I/V conversion section, and to Ti LME49720HA
from LM4562NA at the output buffer section. Is this upgrade possible? Please help.

ASUS Customer Service:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
There is an Op-amp Upgrade Kit for this model. You can use it to update the card.
Please don't use other OP-AMP, it will void your warranty. We don't have such service
for DIY.
You can learn more details from the link below:
http://event.asus.com/audiocards/2011/cesxonarxense/
Best Regards,

ME:

Thank you very much for your assistance. The xonar op-amp upgrade kit is not
available anymore in most areas around the world especially in India, and also the op
-amps asus supplies in the kit are not of very high grade. so buying the op-amps
separately is the only way to upgrade the op-amps on the card. Now since asus
supplies "replaceable op-amps" feature which confirms that one should be able to
use any op-amp that confronts to the usable specification, under some applied
conditions or none, and not only limited to the op-amps asus will supply on board or in
an upgrade kit without tampering with the warranty in any way. If this is not the case
then why did asus even incorporate this feature? is this only a marketing strategy?
Since asus did not supply any technical list of compatible op-amps on the I/V
conversion section and on the output buffer section, I want asus to assist me if the TI
BurrBrown OPA637BP is compatible with the I/V conversion section of both essence st
and h6, that is if I will be able to replace the JRC2114D op-amps with this one. And if
not then give me few options which I can upgrade to among the medium and high
grade audio op-amps. I want sweet and natural sound with minimum colouration that
is with a very refined signature, there should be no over emphasis on any part of the
whole audible frequency spectrum. The best signature I found is the mixture of TI BB
OPA637BP for I/V conversion with TI LME49720HA as output buffer. I am sure that TI
LME49720HA op-amp is compatible with both essence st and h6's o/p buffer section,
but still confirm me on that.

ASUS Customer Service:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
This feature is only for DIYers. You can change it yourself, but we don't have such
service or support for this area.Sorry for any inconvenience and wish you have a nice day.