MSI G31TM-P21 LGA 775 to ASUS P8H67M-LE
Q9550S to I5 2310
4 gb ddr2 dual to PNY Yellow Optima 8 gb ddr3 dual
ASUS ENGTX 285 TOP to GTX 560 TI Twin Froz II
Earthwatts 500 to Rocketfish/Best Buy/Huntkey 900
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2009 to SP1 2012
boot drive WD 500 GB to OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB SSD
same case as before

the beauty of this is I can keep this mobo even longer than the 27+ months I did for my former rig. The Sandy Bridge I5 allows me to stay away from a first gen I7 but still beating it in everyday computing and gaming. The first I7 for me will come as an Ivy Bridge which the mobo can support with a bios upgrade.

My rig will rock GTA 5 and Guild Wars 2. I may even try Alan Wake on this baby now.

More about : sig rig completed review rig

April 12, 2012 1:20:03 AM

Nice rig. if you only use it for gaming though, I wouldn't upgrade until Haswell, or maybe even afterwards. The i5 is great for gaming. Even if it isn't the 2500k. The i5 is future resistant, and should last atleast two years, because intel is way ahead of the game right now. Upgrading when Ivy comes out is sort of redundant, because most likely you'll get a small performance increase, and the cpus will just be more efficient power consumption wise. Other than that it's pretty badass. I'm a bit jealous. hahaha

EDIT: and why'd you throw a crap 900w PSU in that build? 900w is unnecessary with one twin frozr, and your EW 500 would've sufficed. (Which is MUCH higher quality)

Just my 2 cents.
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:31:52 AM

pjl21 said:
Nice rig. if you only use it for gaming though, I wouldn't upgrade until Haswell, or maybe even afterwards. The i5 is great for gaming. Even if it isn't the 2500k. The i5 is future resistant, and should last atleast two years, because intel is way ahead of the game right now. Upgrading when Ivy comes out is sort of redundant, because most likely you'll get a small performance increase, and the cpus will just be more efficient power consumption wise. Other than that it's pretty badass. I'm a bit jealous. hahaha

EDIT: and why'd you throw a crap 900w PSU in that build? 900w is unnecessary with one twin frozr, and your EW 500 would've sufficed. (Which is MUCH higher quality)

Just my 2 cents.

1. I won't be upgrading to the I7 Ivy until my brothers upgrade from their 2600K's. I don't want my computer to have a better processor than my both my brother's I7 2600K's. Which is what the I7 Ivy will be. At the same time I do want my rig to stand up to the games my brothers do play (Alan Wake's and BF3's of the world). The Sandy I5's beat the first gen I7's in such games and allows me to skip the first gen I7's altogether

2. It's an unsung brand name but the PSU is good quality from reviews i've read. Where I live it's the most powerful PSU that I can physically buy from a computer store. Not even MicroCenter sells a 900 watt PSU
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 1:58:36 AM

I'd be cautious of that power supply...
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:10:25 AM

Nice case.
m
l
April 12, 2012 3:18:57 AM

bamj6 said:
1. I won't be upgrading to the I7 Ivy until my brothers upgrade from their 2600K's. I don't want my computer to have a better processor than my both my brother's I7 2600K's. Which is what the I7 Ivy will be. At the same time I do want my rig to stand up to the games my brothers do play (Alan Wake's and BF3's of the world). The Sandy I5's beat the first gen I7's in such games and allows me to skip the first gen I7's altogether

2. It's an unsung brand name but the PSU is good quality from reviews i've read. Where I live it's the most powerful PSU that I can physically buy from a computer store. Not even MicroCenter sells a 900 watt PSU

1. I never said the i5 didn't outperform last gen's i7. In gaming it's equal to the CURRENT gen's i7. And most likely it will be very close in performance to next gen's i5 and i7.... The i5 will dominate games for the next two years(atleast)

2. Just because a psu is the most powerful doesn't mean it's the best. To be honest probably after two years you'll be getting a wattage of 750-800 from a "900 watt" psu. Next time invest in higher quality.
m
l
April 12, 2012 3:37:23 AM

You're saying there won't be a big difference between the second gen I5's and the upcoming third gen I7's? I'm not sure about that. I have the cheapest priced/second weakest Sandy I5 via Amazon Prime. Yet that "weak" Sandy I5 has improved everything on my computer from the q9550s I had.

pjl21 said:
Broken link?

It's not a broken link. It takes you to the review of that specific PSU, via HardwareSecrets.
m
l

Best solution

April 12, 2012 3:49:22 AM

That's exactly what I'm saying. If I were you I'd wait for 2013 and Haswell... upgrading every other generation is much smarter economically. Your i5 will do jsut fine until then... but when your brother upgrades, hell, take his 2600k .... free unlocked i7? Yes please. haha
April 12, 2012 3:55:04 AM

pjl21 said:
That's exactly what I'm saying. If I were you I'd wait for 2013 and Haswell... upgrading every other generation is much smarter economically. Your i5 will do jsut fine until then... but when your brother upgrades, hell, take his 2600k .... free unlocked i7? Yes please. haha

That's exactly what I did with this build compared to the q9550. I remember my other older brother upgrading to 1st gen I5. While it was faster than q9550, it wasn't very much faster. The highest he could upgrade to was an I7 880, but he got a 2600k build instead 1 year later. This build I have is much faster that the 880 max that that board could've gone to
m
l
April 13, 2012 2:03:09 AM

Not that I would SLI because I'm just a 1 card PC gamer, but just wondering if anyone wih personal experience trying a card on an x4 to sli?

It's much more likely i'll fill that PCIE x4 with the Hauppauge Colossus to do HDTV/DVR recording and encoding, which is my other big CPU/GPU usage
m
l
April 13, 2012 5:03:32 AM

In my experience if it's a mid-range-low range card it doesn't matter as much in pci-e x4... only like 5-10% performance loss from x8 and x16. However I wouldnt ever Sli/Xfire anything more than a 560/6850 and that's pushing it. Your recording device should do just fine in x4. (One card solution>two card solution ALWAYS)
m
l
!