Screen freezes, black screen, and reboots

Rapid99

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
My computer is giving me some problems lately that are really bothering me, hopefully I can get this sorted out :/

Yesterday I came home from work (computer stays on) to find my computer at a black screen, with the "Please insert boot device and press any key to continue" message on screen... I figured maybe the power went out while I was at work so it just restarted itself. I do a hard restart, and end up having to go downstairs to do some things. I come back a few hours later, to find the same thing.
After another hard restart, I go about my business, gaming and such. Over the course of last night, every 30 - 60 minutes or so, first off, things would stop loading. I'd notice it 'beginning' because suddenly web pages stop loading, programs slow down, and windows explorer won't open any new windows. Within a minute of this, the sound spazzes out, the screen freezes, then goes black... then the computer reboots itself.

It did this 4 additional times last night before I just turned it off and went to bed early.
It's a custom build that I put together myself. I'm moderately tech savvy but not full on engulfed in the hobby :p
I'm afraid it might be the RAM, but I ran a basic Windows memory test and it didn't encounter any errors.
So now i'm here.
Here is the build for reference:

Mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2GHz
RAM: 16GB (4x 4G) of Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1600MHz
GPU: (2x in Crossfire) AMD Radeon HD 7970 (HIS IceQ X2 edition)
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 SATA III
HDD: 2TB (2x 1TB) Western Digital Caviar Black HDD's @ 7200rpms (files, games, etc.)
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Edition
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
PSU: Rosewill RBR1000-M (1kw, Bronze rated)

Some hardware dates back to December of 2009. (OS, CPU, one HDD, CPU Cooler)
Some of it is from November of 2010 (Sound card, one HDD)
Some from 2011 (Mobo, RAM, SSD, PSU)
And the two GPUs are from 2 months ago.

So most of isn't all that old. (currently in the process of upgrading and replacing parts, just hit a financial speed bump)

Thanks again ahead of time!

EDIT: OH! I should probably also point out that I have been watching my temperatures with CPUID HWMonitor. Nothing is running too hot or anything.

The motherboard bios can cause issues similar to what your experiencing and the cause is usually not the you need an update or that you have recently done an update but that over time something could have caused the bios to become corrupt, just like the registry can get errors and need to be cleaned or reset.
If you take your current bios version and download it and reinstall it that may fix your issue. You can also update the bios to see if that would fix it.
Other solutions are reloading windows or doing a windows repair , these are all suggestions and without knowing the actual cause of the problem you have to take an educated guess and try different thiongs. I would say that the last resort would be the reloading of windows because it's the most disruptive with having to save files and data you don't want erased.

Rapid99

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. (had to go out last night, work today, so late replies from me, lol)

I'm gonna run memtest86 now just to be double-sure on that.

I'll also add that I did a malware sweep, which came up clean.

If it helps at all, checking the event logs, I get 4 Error events after every crash (and each crash being labled as a critical event 41, Kernal-Power error.)

1. "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
luafv"
2. "The AODDriver4.1 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."
3. "Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0"

And this last one only shows up once every so often, not after every crash like the other 3.

4."The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 10."

The only one I recognize / understand is the second one, which apparently is an error with my AMD Overdrive drivers... which I re-installed completely, and still didn't fix that error. So i'm going to assume that's not related ._.

I'll post back shortly after the memtest.

Rapid99

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Alright, back from the memtest. God that takes long.

Tested all 4 sticks, one at a time, individually. Tested each one for 3 passes. No errors detected on any stick.

So that seems to be out ._.

Nah, all of the error messages occur within 3 minutes AFTER the error 41. Nothing before.

Rapid99

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
At the request of a friend who works in IT, I also did a dskchk on my SSD.
Came back with no errors.

I wish it would stop doing this ._. playing games is nearly impossible anymore if I crash 20 minutes after starting the game.

I had a similar problem a few months ago that drove me crazy because I just couldn't find the problem and it all had to do with running games , the computer would crash the game and then windows and then reboot and I could not play games. I also have a custom built computer so I could only contact the different component manufacturers to see if something would connect with them and recognise the issue. I thought it was the video cards , the ram , the psu , the cpu and the MB. I ended up doing an RMA with the motherboard because one by one I eliminated each component and still didn't know what was wrong. The motherboard was sent back to me (same one not a refurb or new one) and there was no note as to whether or not it was fixed so I had to call customer service to find out the info. They told me that it was the bios chip that was defective and they replaced it. Now in the process of troubleshooting I had reloaded the same bios and updated the bios and loaded a previous bios and all of them loaded fine and gave no indication of the bios chip being defective. The MB has been reinstalled and has been working since I got it back with no issues.
So in your case it could be a defective bios chip also. There are tow other things that I think it could be and one is the power supply and the other is the sound card. The sound card can be easy to test by uninstalling it but the psu will be harder to test , if you have a computer repair shop nearby you could take it by and have them test it if they say that they can. Then the MB would be the final thing to find out if it's something defective there.

Rapid99

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I feel like i'm running out of options here ._.

Malware - Swept
Memory - Quadruple checked
Temperatures - Stable
Hard Drives - Error Free
Drivers - All up to date
Motherboard - BIOS flashed and updated to newest version

I'm going to give those 3 suggestions a shot next I suppose.

I'll take out my aftermarket sound card (it's buggy as all hell anyway) and see if that works...
If not, i'll try the PSU next. I have an OCZ Fatal1ty 700W from my old build that I can hook up and use. See if that works out. If not, then i'll test the motherboard...
I have a brand new ASUS Crosshair V Formula still in the box, sitting in my closet. I'm in the middle of upgrading everything, and I didn't want to use it until I got the remainder of my new parts. But if it comes to this, i'll swap all of these older parts onto that mobo, and see if I still have issues.

If that doesn't work... I just don't know... :/

Rapid99

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Okay NEW INFO that I didn't notice before. I'm getting error messages before crashing. I never noticed them before but I managed to use my phone to photo them before the computer shut off.

A bunch of error messages pop up, one for each program running, to tell me this -

*program name*.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 0x0000000075D974CA referenced memory at 0x0000000075D974CA. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc000000e.

Click on OK to terminate the program.

So that ^ is popping up for every running program for a few seconds before the computer dies on me.

Another weird thing to note. I've been watching the time, and it seems like every crash happens after 40-45 minutes or so of run time.

I got on tonight at 6:35, crashed at 7:20. Logged back in at 7:30, crashed at 8:20.

Rapid99

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Not yet. I figured if I could get a definite answer from the error messages, i'd be happier not bothering to doing the swap, lol.

But if it's still a vague idea, it's fully possible.
Only hardware swap i've done so far was removing the sound card, which didn't do anything.

Rapid99

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I'm going to give this a try o.o rooting around online I found some VERY compelling evidence.

"The Crucial M4 SSD has very few bugs. However, one of these bugs causes the drive to stop responding periodically after it's gone through 5,184 hours of on-time. This bug can be fixed by simply updating the firmware version, however."

5,184 hours is exactly 216 days.
I bought my drive on December 8th, 2011, and got it on the 10th.

216 days after 12/10/11, is July 13th, 2012, just a few weeks ago.
Also, that was measured in hours of use, not days of existence. So unless I had my computer on 24/7, all day every day, it would extend that time further for every day that the computer was off.

My problems began on the 24th of July... 11 days of inactivity over a lifetime seems pretty reasonable...

That time frame is WAY too convenient. I'm going to give it a shot, i'll report back after :p

Rapid99

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Alright :] I usually crash after 40 minutes. It's just been 2 hours since I updated the firmware of my SSD, and no crashes or anything since.

:D thanks for the help everyone