Computer case wont close, cpu cooler comes in the way.

hnijhar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
k so, when i try to put the computer case door on the computer case the door fan touches my hyper 212 evo so i cant close my case,if i take off the door fan, the hyper 212 evo fan hits the case, i can close it but the hyper 212 evo doesnt have any space to release the air.
my computer case is a raidmax 238wu and it has a fan on the computer door. so what should i do? should i get a bigger case or what?
if so, please link to a canadian site for a bigger case for a good price- i paid $60 for this case.
or should i get a smaller cpu cooler,? please help
my specs:
i5 2500k
gigabyte z68a-d3h b3
8gb 2133 ram
raidmax 238 wu- computer case
raidmax 730ss hybrid 2- psu
Cooler master hyper 212 evo
ssd
hdd

Sounds like what happened to me when I got my 60 dollar case. I learned the hard way too. Originally had a Sentey Halcon, cheap piece of crap. I bought the computer I should have bought in the first place.

You could get one of these, http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6634207&CatId=1510

That'll fit anything. Tigerdirect.ca is tiger direct for canada btw. Check out the dimensions of the case before buying one to make sure the fan will fit. Find a case you like, check out the manufacturer's website, and If it doesnt have detailed dimensions, don't buy it.

Kohlhagen

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I had this problem years ago.. Went to home depot and i bought some orange round blade for like 12 bucks that i could insert into my drill. It was around the same diameter as a 120mm fan, It looked pretty cool and added a fan grill. It gave me just enough clearance for the aftermarket cooler.

LOL, or you could just leave the panel off. Make it all "cool" like an Antec Skeleton.

antec_skeleton_0003.jpg

Personally, I'm not brave enough to have an open bench desktop. :non:

killermoats

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Yeah, Time for a bigger case. Save the current one for your next build though :D

@nekulturny - I've built a few systems of the skeleton case. Cable management not too much fun but over all fun to show off.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
It seems to me that your system can work without the "door fan" (it's rather a side panel fan I guess). There is an exhaust back of the case, whose purpose is to move the inside air out of the case, mostly from CPU. When it combines with 212 plus evo, in most case the thermal operation works just fine. You don't need to worry about "the hyper 212 evo doesnt have any space to release the air"

Most side panel fan as far as I know is for video card though. Without the fan there, your GPU temperature might increase about 5 degree, which I don't think a big deal. Actually I bought a side panel fan for my Antec Three Hundred, but decided to remove it eventually because it increased noise level far more than what it ccould decrease the GPU temp. It simply was not worth. Also my EVGA GTX 560 Ti 448 Classified doesn't go hot very much even without the fan. Whole system and GPU temps are way low even playing Skyrim/Batman/Civ 5/Crysis 2 @Ultra setting on 1920 x 1080. Unless you are planning to play a demanding setup like 3 displays with SLI/XFire, you don't need to worry about temps too much, especially with current day video cards.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I had this same issue with my current case. I did two things. 1) I took a dremel tool to the plastic housing of the fan itself. Basically shaved off the front half of one of the corners. 2) Bent the outermost fin of the 212 in about 2 mm.

May not be possible in your situation, but you may be able to get creative without spending any dough.

By the way, my side fan did absolutely nothing to reduce my temps any....which were already fine. So you may want to do a before and after with and without the side case fan.