Does this card run unusually hot.

specter51095

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
I have read many reviews on the 7970 saying that it ran at 40% fan speed + @ 73deg C and after purchasing one am wondering if it is normal for my card to be running @ 90deg C with 55% fan speed just because its installed in a case not an open test bench and the ambient temp of the room is 24deg C instead of 22.5.

I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352018 case and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106133 fan installed in it as a intake. all case fans are also running @ 100% speed as they are still silent with that speed.

It is quite loud even after installed in that noise dampening case so if this is not normal i would like to return it for one that doesn't run as hot..

specter51095

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011

No its 90c load but still 62 idle @ 30% fan

monsta

Splendid
Ah ok , its not unusual for those temps even tho it appears high, some cards to run around 90 but it would be good to hear if someone here has a 7970 to tell you their temps to compare.
Guess with the new cards its expected , possibly with newer drivers they may change the fan settings to be more optimal.
Is it really that loud at 55%?

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
55% fan speed seems a little slow for a gpu load. This is a typical reason I never trust the pre-programmed card fan controllers. In my opinion they try too hard to keep them quiet and since the day they began putting fans on gpu's I haven't really trusted it. The chip itself is rated a bit higher than 90c but I doubt it's lifespan with constant usage at that temperature.

I always use a software based programmable fan controller like msi's afterburner utility. Either that or I set my fans manually, you can do this in catalyst as well as nvidias control panel, and usually for a single card it would be 65%-80% depending on the game before a gaming session.

Edit: It does sound a bit abnormal for 55% to be loud. Especially in a dampened case. What kind of load are you putting on the gpu? Is it furmark or the like?

You can try using MSI afterburner, and maybe crank up your to ~75% and see the temperatures (to be better, you can even use MSI kombustor utility to burn out your graphics card). 90c and 60c is unusually hot for a card. Also can you confirm that you have a good airflow and nothing blocks the airflow of the card??

specter51095

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
I can adjust the fan speeds through afterburner and amd overdrive the thing is its just REALLY loud already at 55% and seems to be running quite hot even at that speed. Im wondering if the cooling is slightly defective on this board as the reviews i read were getting 73deg @ 40% fan speed the only difference is they used an open bench where as i have a well ventilated case.

UltimateLord

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
mmm that's a very strange situation you have, i think that:

a) maybe the fan is, as you already said, defective or something and

b) (and this is a long shot) if your case is well ventilated, maybe the air flow is causing some kind of "turbulence" between the case and gpu's fans.