Which one is better a AMD FX-4100 or a AMD Phenom II X6 1045T?

gorgorath

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hi

I was wondering which CPU I should buy.

The AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad Core AM3+ Unlocked CPU (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1372438&Sku=A79-4100&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=iFudSkud_Rc-r6aHaoiOylfdNWYDeCyGPw)

or the AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.70GHz AM3 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1724262&Sku=A79-1045&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=iFudSkud_Rc-6_3KulUj6e7E3s1O4lWPGA)

Which one is the better CPU for gaming?

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
neither like mal... urban legend says a 965 or 980, the 1045T is multiplier locked hence its price and availability over other PII X6's its not really great for OC'ing and gaming

G

A really good analysis about AMD, Intel and gaming is here at this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=10&post=342018&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

The Oc issue isn't really easy be explained in details but just because urban_lengend, wr6133 boath have some good points here, I will try using as less words as I can.

Urban_lengend goes with a locked multiplier processor that you can set the multiplier to the maximum and that it! Forgoing higher the only way is to increase the FSB and there is where the issue starts to be more complicated! By doing that even the memory frequency increased and it can’t play much above, increasing the voltage to get stability is risky as very easily gets burned. Trying to finding a motherboard that allows drop memory multiplier to 1 will allow getting even higher, faster memory also can help you. So we reach the 4.5 Ghz area and the heating issues are beginning to rise as HUGE mountain.

Wr6133 says what the ****? I will get an unlock processor with a motherboard to set the multiplier to up to x50 and who cares about the ram issues? But he also gets in 4.5 Ghz by changing to the bios only the CPU multiplier, voltage done. So we reach the 4.5 Ghz area and the heating issues rising again huge as a mountain.

Maximizing the airflow to the cpu cooler and effectively move the heat out can give some more points but in the end urban_lengend won the 3d rendering race by 5 or 6 fps to a screen resolution the most people with simple TFT, LED monitors or games can't run anyway.

Did I make it clear enough?

I would take the Phenom II 1045T. I had one that came with an HP I bought a year and a half ago. The HP board died and I did a re-build. including a new motherboard with an AsRock extreme 4 mobo. I got it, overclocked it and it ran fine in games. I would rather have a 1045T than a piss weak Bulldozer. The Phenom II still has a better IPC than Bulldozer and overclocked the 1045 will really do better than the Bulldozer.

Enginerd87

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I have a 1055T because the 965 was out of stock at microcenter when i picked it up and I wasn't willing to wait. I have been able to overclock it stable on all cores to 3.8 GHz w/ good temps testing w/ Prime95 but I usually run it at 3.5 GHz. Haven't been able to hit 4GHz w/ all six cores yet. It works great in games, but I would have prefered the 965 BE. Unlocked multi, higher OC's and most games can't utilize a six core. The FX series processors are a big dissappointment IMO and I will stick w/ the Phenom II's until something better comes along....or I switch to an Intel i5.

G

This is a nice thread we don't have to fight all the time just because urban_legend won that doesn’t mean wr6133 will sitting in the corner crying (I’m goanna get the ********* next time) he did the build faster and easier we can play at goods screen analysis without any problem and he doesn’t lose badly, he runs the same.

The gaming in internet can be more complicated see another thread here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=10&post=342138&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

In the end with a cheap solution you can get 2 ssd’s build the raid 0 is better.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012

errr I actually have no idea what you are on about. I agreed with [strike]ma[/strike] urban that the 965 or 980 would be better choices just pointed out OC'ing the 1045T can be a pain compared to other X6's that have unlocked multi's (and are hard/expensive to buy now)

G

Someone may need the 2 cores extra horse power that can give him an edge in Betchmarks when it comes to 3d rendering you lose but in what resolution was the subject also..

Ps see the 'box ring' above my 1st post.

gorgorath

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I use my computer for games and basic work (Internet , Powerpoint and Exel)
so what you guys are saying is that I should go with a
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition?

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Actually just save the $20 and go for a Phenom IIx4 955, it's easily overclocked to 975-980 speeds (3.6 and 3.7ghz respectively). On the Phenom line anything above the 955 is pretty much the same, same cache, same voltage, unlocked multiplier, pretty sure even the same silicon, they just increase the already-unlocked multiplier by 1 and increase the price a little, that how it's been at AMD for quite some time. Only the 980 has a sightly higher deafult voltage if I'm not wrong, but again you can easily do that on a 955 and it's such a little increase that you shouldn't worry about safety.

Plus the Thubans(dem 6 cores) are actually a little bit slower than the phenoms when it comes to gaming, only when an app can use more than 4 cores it leaps ahead, which 99.9% of games do not.

don't make me go 'malmental' on you.. ;)
8ed.png

HAVE IT YOUR WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

If you get offered some kind of Mobo+CPU combo then the 4100+990FX setup will be worth it, other than that they are basically much of a muchness. If you need a urgent gaming chip then maybe one of them 965 BE chips on Amazon going for like $70 is not a bad option to consider, at least until Piledriver releases.

G

how the 'best' gaming cpu can help in here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=10&post=342138&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

The op is not goanna see any difference in the games with a decent screen resultion are all the same. To the op i say you can go with the winner urban_lengend (i vote him also) but you seen how complicated the OC can be in there (you may need to upgrade the ram), the most people will go with wr6133 he is faster PC, OC builder.

Wiinippongamer has good points also the most games are using only 1 core, they are not x64 to use more than 3.5 Gbytes ram the second core is used to handle the ram changes by the system to 8 Gbytes protected zones, some games can use 2 or 3 but 4 cores are more than enough to cover everything.

Ps Tom's Hardware results are always better, they have screen resultion info. I thought i made it clear enough the simple TFT, LED monitors and most games can't go up there (75 hz) to see the big difference anyway.

Look through hardware classifieds, you may find yourself a steal on any of the phenom II x 4 955-980's or x 6 1090/1100T, nice chips still very capable of holding their own. With piledriver months away its not really sound going for bulldozer unless you find a steal on a 8120/8150 even then its a waste this close to a new chip.

G

The processor is less important the link is showing you the graphics card is more important we got +5 fps that is the difference by lowering a bit the quality only that is the difference you see in Tom’s hardware charts Intel vs Amd in very high screen resolution if they run the test in lower resolution they don’t get any difference at all.

He can take +10 fps or more if he lowers to the middle, Antisoropic, pixel samples, Tessellation, if he lowers the screen analysis even more. And only +3-4 fps if he rises the CPU clock speed by 19%. It also showing you the fps to the internet gaming the time you play 4 - 6 o clock in the morning are more, as less people are downloading, from someone that plays 21:00-22:00 o clock where the most people are at home after work and they downlong all by the same internet provider line.

Why do I have to give so many explanations?

Ps 3d rendering in some resolutions make take DAYS in there you win there is no doubt

G

It was a nice thread with good infos deployed and how difficult was the oc in locked processors over the unlocked you boath had good points why to mess it like this?

I fixed 'box ring'also "in the right corner urban_legend with a locked processor and 2 more cores", "in the left corner Wr6133 with unlocked processor" in the 3d rendering fast rounds.

How can i give this thread as a link know?

G

2 more cores are always a + in full 3rd rendering see here http://www.cbscores.com/ an opteron on a top they trying overclock, ocz drives, risky ram oc, nobady can move him. 48 cores processor...

I can release the thread urban legend after the victory goes malmental?

TRENDING THREADS