New build freezes and restarts.

sand0val

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I put together a new rig a about a month and a half ago. It seemed to work fine at first but soon after its completion I started running into some major problems. Randomly my computer will freeze completely. Images are still displayed on the screen but frozen, mouse lazer is still active but mouse does not work and the keyboard has no function either. All fans still spin, and all the indicator lights on my case are still lit but the computer wont respond. If left in this state it will restart after about 5 minutes and eventually (and randomly) it will repeat this process. After a couple of weeks of this my power button stopped working (which could be a faulty wire) and I am forced to turn on the computer by manually connecting the two pins.

Sometimes it will skip the freeze step completely and simply restart or shutdown even if I have unplugged the wires connecting the reset and power buttons.

The build:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 advanced

PSU: Coolermaster GX750w

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz

CPU Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

GPU: HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB

SSD: SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68ZP-UD3P

So far I have tried:

Replacing the mobo (it was still under warranty, sent it in and got an identical replacement)

Checking the PSU's mobo connector (works fine)

Checking the event logs (only error it lists in a kernal power failure)

Running HDDScan on my SSD using another computer (turned up clean)

Running my SSD from another computer (it worked fine for the 3+ hours I left it running)

Ran memtest (RAM seemed fine)

Ran a prime95 test (froze part way through although that could be coincidence)

Reset CMOS (although I'm not overclocking)

I'm really not sure what the problem could be, any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

I had a similar issue with a PC I built a few years back and it was the RAM. It would just reboot whenever. Memtest should pick it up, but can you get Windows to run long enough to use the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to schedule a reboot RAM check?

Bad power, a bad video card, or bad motherboard can also cause the same kind of issues, but RAM is most ofter the culprit. A lesser know issue is it can lock up if you haven't used standoffs under the motherboard (screwed the mobo directly to the case tray) causing the PC to short out which can cause similar symptoms as well. A screw behind the motherboard can cause a similar short issue.

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
With random restarts, it could be the PSU. Do you have another PSU you could use/borrow to test if it is the PSU?

Also, if that case is only a couple months old, and the power button is broken you need to get that RMA'd and replaced. Seriosly, not a safe situation for you nor your other components.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

I agree 100% I had an issue with the standoffs but not that I didn't use them, I installed them but tightened the motherboard down on them too tight, or you may have used the wrong screws with the big pan head that can touch other components on the MoBo. Have you tried to monitor your temp on your CPU it could be overheating and shutting down if the heat sink isn't getting a good contact, I'd use Coretemp and/or CPUz

Coretemp- http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

CPUz- http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

They are both free CPU-z download location is a little hard to see on the right side of the page in purple.