Setting .jpg's and .gif's as icon files

i want to set a picture as an icon, so i saved the icon as a .ico named it
filename.ico, cuz .ico was not available on teh pull down file type
selection. then i go to desktop, customize desktop, click an icon, change
icon, browse, select .ico file, and hit ok, says not a valid .ico file.
dirivingf em nuts cuz i did somethin to one of the pictures that lets it be
set as an icon, but the others wont work. someone help before i go insane.
the picture happens to be snoop dogg.
9 answers Last reply
More about setting icon files

    randolph1986 wrote:
    > i want to set a picture as an icon, so i saved the icon as a .ico
    > named it filename.ico, cuz .ico was not available on teh pull down
    > file type selection. then i go to desktop, customize desktop, click
    > an icon, change icon, browse, select .ico file, and hit ok, says not
    > a valid .ico file. dirivingf em nuts cuz i did somethin to one of the
    > pictures that lets it be set as an icon, but the others wont work.
    > someone help before i go insane. the picture happens to be snoop dogg.

    You cannot simply change a files extension and expect to get that new type
    of file. The file has to be converted to the new file type using software
    that is capable of performing this task.

    A good program for converting just about any image file is the free
    IrfanView image editor. Open your .jpg or .gif file in Irfanview and then
    save it with the .ico file extension, it's that simple. For better results
    you want to resize the image to something like 32x32 pixels first.

    IrfanView free image editor:
    http://www.irfanview.com/blank.htm

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Well, i can do you one better than all that just for an icon. Type Blaiz
    Enterprises into your bowser which wil bring up a page of software.. near
    the middle there is an application called CLIC which will make it possible
    to use almost anything to create an icon.. i have used it for several years
    with interesting results. read the instructions because you can do lots of
    interesting things besides make icons of several sizes.. It is one of the
    most interesting free tools i have ever found on the Web.
    Your welcome.
    "randolph1986" <randolph1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i want to set a picture as an icon, so i saved the icon as a .ico named it
    > filename.ico, cuz .ico was not available on teh pull down file type
    > selection. then i go to desktop, customize desktop, click an icon, change
    > icon, browse, select .ico file, and hit ok, says not a valid .ico file.
    > dirivingf em nuts cuz i did somethin to one of the pictures that lets it
    be
    > set as an icon, but the others wont work. someone help before i go insane.
    > the picture happens to be snoop dogg.

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote
    <snip>
    | IrfanView free image editor:
    | http://www.irfanview.com/blank.htm

    .... gives a blank page.

    A better link is http://www.irfanview.com/

    a nonymous wrote:
    > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote
    > <snip>
    >> IrfanView free image editor:
    >> http://www.irfanview.com/blank.htm
    >
    > ... gives a blank page.
    >
    > A better link is http://www.irfanview.com/

    Thanks. Not sure how that blank got in there.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Changing the file name extension does not change the fact that the file is
    NOT an icon file.

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    Richard Urban wrote:
    > Changing the file name extension does not change the fact that the file is
    > NOT an icon file.

    But.. changing a bmp extension to ico does make that an icon file. Try
    it, this does not work with jpg or gif though.

    "David" <Davidirock@comcast.net> wrote
    | Richard Urban wrote:
    | > Changing the file name extension does not change the fact that the file is
    | > NOT an icon file.
    | >
    | But.. changing a bmp extension to ico does make that an icon file. Try
    | it, this does not work with jpg or gif though.

    But it does not always behave as a .ICO

    Hello,
    If my memory has not failed, I believe that you have to save the bmp as
    a 16 color bmp and then you will be able to change the extension to .ico and
    it will work.. I just tried it and it worked. Nowthen, also you must keep
    the size at no more than 32 x 32 pix. I have experimented with this size
    thing in the past and Windows does not display them correctly if they are
    any larger in most cases..
    Also, there is a program that is free to try called Microangelo.
    On the link below you will find all you really need to do what you want.
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,3335,00.asp
    I have had a lot of fun with the Microangelo program. Try it and see.
    There is also a free converter on down the page a little on that link.
    HTH,
    --
    Burt
    The Old Alaskan

    "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "David" <Davidirock@comcast.net> wrote
    > | Richard Urban wrote:
    > | > Changing the file name extension does not change the fact that the
    file is
    > | > NOT an icon file.
    > | >
    > | But.. changing a bmp extension to ico does make that an icon file. Try
    > | it, this does not work with jpg or gif though.
    >
    > But it does not always behave as a .ICO

    in MS paint, create a 32x32 bmp...then in explorer, change the bmp extension
    to ico, and you have an icon! You don't need any special programs!

Configuration Desktops Microsoft Customization Windows XP