Sign in with
Your question

New rig, with some older parts. Will not boot winvista.

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2012 6:30:31 AM

Hey guys. I recently bought a new MoBo (P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3) and a new Intel i7 2600. I am using two old HDD's. One has winvista on it. When I boot up, it goes all the way up to the winvista loading screen with the bar at the bottom of the screen, and then it blue screens. I get the BSoD error - 0x0000007B (0X80599BB0,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000). Someone that I know that works with computers for the government said I cannot use an old HDD with a new rig. That I have to format one of them and do a fresh install. I have tried cleaning CMOS, resetting BIOS, setting voltage of ram to manufacturer settings etc etc, everything you can think of, so the only thing that is making sense to me is the fact that I need to reformat a HDD and do a fresh install. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, as I have been working around problems with this rig for 2 days.
April 12, 2012 6:34:37 AM

Basically look at it this way. The OS has no idea what it's doing because you just chopped off it's arms and legs. When you change the chipset that much this happens. Back up your data, reinstall. I would take this time to upgrade to Windows 7. (Note windows 7 often does have good luck with changing chipsets and platforms without a reinstall)
m
l
April 12, 2012 6:47:46 AM

Download a copy of Ubuntu Linux and backup your data from your HDD that contains the OS to the HDD that doesn't.

Then format C:\ as you would normally (beware not to delete the partition to which you backed up your data to! As a matter of fact, you should disconnect the SATA cable to this HDD prior to starting Windows Setup. I've had many stupid mistakes happen...)
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 6:57:02 AM

Thanks guys. Can I install Windows 7 on the second HDD I have? All the information on there is already backed up on an external hdd
m
l
April 12, 2012 7:04:08 AM

(For clarity, I will name the drives. These names will change after you format the drives and install Windows)

Yes, but format the C:\ (first drive) at the same time.

Make sure you set:
the optical drive as the first boot drive in your BIOS.
the D:\ (second drive) as the second boot drive in your BIOS.
the C:\ (first drive) as the third boot drive in your BIOS.

For faster boot times, make sure to put the D:\ (second drive) as the first boot drive in the BIOS after Windows has successfully installed.
m
l
April 12, 2012 7:09:22 AM

You could install Win 7 on the drive you have windows installed on. Windows 7 will move all of the old data to a folder called windows.old. This will save you from losing any data. As long as you have enough free space that is. I think formatting the drive is a bit ridiculous. You can clean up the mess that is in the Windows.old folder later on since you are not going to be using that OS anymore anyways.
m
l
!