ImgProAMD

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hello,
I assembled a new pc with
TA790GXE 128M
AMD Phenom II x4 955
NVIDIA FX1500 Quadro

I have flashed all 3 bios updates in order from biostar website.

When I perform image editing tasks or sometimes even watch HD video the system crashes. The leds in tower are on, but no display or keyboard/mouse access.

I have a cosair power 400W. Is it not enough? I tried to remove the NVIDIA card and work with the on board graphics. Even then i have the same problem

Please suggest. I am not sure what i am missing here.

my friends i7 laptop can handle the same tasks without any issues.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Well yeah your friends i7 can handle it - duh!
Check your temps along with your ram as suggested.

ImgProAMD

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Thank you for your reply.

I tried running memtest86 as mentioned. But memtest crashes.
It ran 6 tests the first time. with some 6 errors during test 5. The it crashed.
I restarted the test. Then it crashed at 3rd test before detecting any errors.

So I booted win7 and core temp says 100degC for all 4cpus slowly cooling down overtime. But at boot it says 56degC

Are these memory test CPU intensive?
Should I disable cool and quite in BIOS before memory test?

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

This is the memory i have.

Please let me know the next steps.

Thank you for your help.

killermoats

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
memory errors means your memory is starting to go bad. Pull out 1 stick and run memtest again. swap sticks and run it again. See if you can isolate which stick it is. That will at least get you stable for the mean time. You will more than likely need to replace the ram. On the + side, DDR2 800 is cheap :D

ImgProAMD

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Wow that was fast. :)

Yes I will try removing one stick and try.
But I was wondering about the crash. Is it because the CPU is heating up too much?

It would have been better to run a complete test to know the exact problem.

And yes if its really an issue with ram, then I am quite relieved that i dont have to spend too much on it.

ImgProAMD

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
No I have not overclocked it.

I don't have any cooler specific to CPU. I have the heat sink and fan which came with it.

Also i have 1 x 120mm TriCool rear fan, and 1 x 140mm TriCool top fan in my case.

Should I get some coolers?

Normally when I boot core temp shows 35degC for all 4 CPUs. And during Image Processing, it goes up to 90% sometimes.

Noticing the increase in CPU I used thermal compound and reassembled it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FVI91U/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_detail But that didnt help.

When I performed the memtest it showed 100degC but eventually it cooled down.

Now it's back to 36degC.

So should I try running the tests again?
Are there any cpu tests to know how fast CPU is heating up and if its right?

ImgProAMD

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Ok. So I ran the memtestx86+ from this link. http://www.memtest.org/
I could run the full memory test without a crash this time. With one error in one of the sticks.

So I will plan to change memory.

But I also ran the IntelBurn test http://www.softpedia.com/get/Syste [...] Test.shtml
It will run through 2 cycles and by the 3rd one the CPU temp will go to 100degC on all 4 cores. And the system will shutdown.

And the same thing is happening when I edit raw images. Temp gradually increases to 90+ and eventually system restarts when it reaches 100.

Can I disable the auto restart based on processor heat in bios? Is it safe to do it?

Also is it really the problem of memory now?

Please let me know.

TRENDING THREADS