Sign in with
Your question

System powers up but won't boot

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2012 2:09:16 PM

Hi,

please bear with me :pt1cable: 

I have a system which was home built early 2006, the original specs are as follows:

ASUS A8N_SLi Deluxe nForce 4 SLi MB (retail)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Core skt 939 (retail)
GEIL 1Gb PC3200 Dual Channel DDR kit (2x512Mb)
250 Gb Maxtor plus 10 SATA 7200rpm 1.5Gb/s
Sapphire ATI Radeon X550 256Mb DDR, PCI-E, DVI (retail)
Sony DRU-810A Dual layer 8.5Gb 16xDVD+/- R/RW (retail)
Asus QuieTrack 16x DVD rom
Multi-card reader/floppy drive (generic)
(Can't remember the original PSU as it's been replaced since 2006)
COOLER MASTER Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 Silver, aluminium ATX Mid tower case
OS Windows XP HE

This system worked fine for 3 years until I got a virus in late 2008, took it to my local repair shop .... virus removed ..blah blah.

Then in September 2009 it started playing up again, ending in it completely crashing in December ....I couldn't get it going again so took it back to the repair shop ..... I was told the PSU had gone so they replaced it with a Octigen 149898PSOTGATX 500w, however, when they fired it up the HDD wouldn't boot so they told me I had lost all my data and would need a new Hard Drive, I was really upset about this but when I went back to collect the computer they told me that they had put the hard drive on the server overnight and managed to retrieve all my documents and settings which they had transferred to my new hard drive a Samsung HD5021J 500Gb 3Gb/s (not particularly fond of Samsung :??:  ) Anyway, it worked OK for the first couple of weeks when it started shutting down on it's own and a couple of weeks after that crashed completely again and the only way I could get it up and running again was to try and fix the windows installation, unfortunately I clicked the wrong one and it started to reinstall (so I lost my data anyway...yes I forgot to back up) then I stupidly tried to stop it and couldn't get the damn thing to boot again. I rang the shop again and they told me to bring it back in but at the time I couldn't afford anymore work to be done on it, so I borrowed a computer from a friend and put this one to one side.

In March this year after two years of a crappy computer I dragged it out again to have a look ...... I finally managed to get the system to boot and tried to reformat the hard drive, which seemed to work except it wouldn't let me use the C drive - I kept getting a message saying there was already an operating system on there- so had to put the new installation on G drive. It seemed OK once Windows had loaded except there was no sound and the system was saying 'no device found', and an error message coming up constantly saying 'no disk in drive') I remember there being an ATI program I used for sound so I found the drivers and started to download them and the system just crashed again and went back to the continuous cycle of 'Installing Windows' .... cannot install there is already an OS .... blah blah.

Then I opened up the case and found that the heatsink on the NB chip had fallen off ...... and then that the heatsink (60mm between pin holes and diagonal) wasn't even the right measurement for this board (54mm and at right angle from the corners) and in fact it was originally from an Acer board and had been glued on to the board, to add insult to injury one of the original Asus fan pins was broken off in my board so I had to remove the MB to get it out.

I'm not particularly brilliant with computers but I do check and double check before I touch anything. I have managed to clean the chip of the glue and thermal compound and I have been searching for weeks for an alternative to the original asus fan as I know this mb has issues with the nForce4 overheating but either the alternatives wouldn't fit or they were discontinued/out of stock or only available in the US so I tracked down an original fan and stuck that on for now ...it's not exactly brilliant ...the pins don't fit perfectly and even though I used a thin layer of thermal paste (amasan T12 ..silcon based .... which is all I had) I'm not sure it's making a difference because the fan moves slightly on the chip.

Anyway I powered it up after attaching the fan and the hard drive won't boot ..... the things that work are:

The green light on the mb is on, the HDD led light comes on initially then goes off, the reset button works because the HDD led comes back on again when you press it ..... all the case fans come on, the DVD drives come on, the fans on the graphics card the CPU and the nForce 4 chip come on.

Things that don't work:

Hard drive won't boot, no system beeps from onboard speaker, when connected via the VGA lead from the graphics card the monitor light goes to green then back to orange (standby) and the screen stays black, when connected via the DVI lead from the GC the monitor it displays 'no signal received' and it won't let me change the setting on the menu to digital as the menu won't come up in this mode.

I've checked all the wiring in the MB manual and everything is in the right place, I've reseated them all, I've taken out the GC and put it back in again, I've cleaned all the dust from everywhere and I've removed the battery and moved the jumpers and put them back again as per instruction manual, to clear the CMOS but still nothing.

I apologise for this being longwinded but I'm getting bald patches ... can anyone help? :cry: 

More about : system powers boot

April 12, 2012 3:22:16 PM

Try booting from your XP disc.
April 12, 2012 4:07:34 PM

It won't boot from the disc, I've already tried it
Related resources
April 12, 2012 11:18:10 PM

Remove all PCI cards and memory. Try to power up. You should get MB beep codes for no memory. If not then the MB is not POSTing. Keep removing things until the MB beeps to say it's posted, then add in components until you isolate the failed part.

If the hard drive was bad or not bootable the BIOS would have given you a message. This is an earlier POST problem. Thus suggestion to pull memory and all cards and all usb and all network cables, etc. Ultimately you end up with just MB and PSU and CPU. If it won't post then replace the PSU first then MB. Ask here for best PSU, a $40 antec earthwatt would be better than what you have now (Octigen 149898PSOTGATX 500w)

If you apply the right spin, this is a really good ref: check out 'breadboarding'

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

April 13, 2012 11:12:18 AM

Hi, thanks for replying,

I removed the video card, the memory sticks and disconnected the HDD, both dvd drives and the card reader so I just had the 2 power cables and the system panel connections in the mb .....nothing .... zilch. I agree with you on the replacement PSU but it was all he had, however, what you said about this being an earlier POST problem has got me thinking.

I noticed that my ex who built this comp, had put in 2 x USB 2.0 module in the back panel but when I took the computer apart recently I noticed that the lead from this was connected to the IEE 1394, it says in the manual not to do this as it can damage the mb, could this be a factor?

Also if it is the PSU is it normal to go through 2 units in this length of time?
April 13, 2012 11:47:28 AM

Yes the wrong connection could be a problem. Motherboards can be very sensitive and it really doesn't take much to damage them so that might be an issue. As far as PSU's, when you spend as much time on these boards as I do you learn quickly that even good name top of the line units sometimes fail quickly. Others can last for years. I think its all a matter of quality which is why we stress a "good" name brand. If your computer "worked" at all after the wires were connected to the wrong socket then my guess would still be the PSU.
Having said that here's another take.
Windows will not install over a partial install. I believe it is some kind of protection built in to the program. Do you still have 2 HDD's? What you have to do is "delete" the partition that the partial OS install is on. Then format it. Then install windows. Don't stop the installation this time. Here's a link to a disk that might help you also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Boot_CD_for_Windo...
April 17, 2012 8:11:45 AM

tsnor said:
Remove all PCI cards and memory. Try to power up. You should get MB beep codes for no memory. If not then the MB is not POSTing. Keep removing things until the MB beeps to say it's posted, then add in components until you isolate the failed part.

If the hard drive was bad or not bootable the BIOS would have given you a message. This is an earlier POST problem. Thus suggestion to pull memory and all cards and all usb and all network cables, etc. Ultimately you end up with just MB and PSU and CPU. If it won't post then replace the PSU first then MB. Ask here for best PSU, a $40 antec earthwatt would be better than what you have now (Octigen 149898PSOTGATX 500w)

If you apply the right spin, this is a really good ref: check out 'breadboarding'

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Thanks for the link .... absolutely fantastic article .... helped a lot as I found an extra stand off when I removed the board, which has now been taken off. Still no POST beeps with everything removed though so going to invest in a decent PSU, even if this MB is dead I can use it on a new build.

Had a look at the Antec Earthwatt and can't find a 500w+ one for less than £50 .... God I love the UK lol!
April 17, 2012 9:19:09 AM

Chaz21 said:
Yes the wrong connection could be a problem. Motherboards can be very sensitive and it really doesn't take much to damage them so that might be an issue. As far as PSU's, when you spend as much time on these boards as I do you learn quickly that even good name top of the line units sometimes fail quickly. Others can last for years. I think its all a matter of quality which is why we stress a "good" name brand. If your computer "worked" at all after the wires were connected to the wrong socket then my guess would still be the PSU.
Having said that here's another take.
Windows will not install over a partial install. I believe it is some kind of protection built in to the program. Do you still have 2 HDD's? What you have to do is "delete" the partition that the partial OS install is on. Then format it. Then install windows. Don't stop the installation this time. Here's a link to a disk that might help you also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Boot_CD_for_Windo...

Hi,
thanks for the advice, I'm going to try replacing the PSU and if I ever hear those POST beeps again from this MB I will definitely check out that link :) 
April 25, 2012 6:41:21 PM

Hi again,

just installed a new PSU (Silverstone Strider 500w SST-ST50F-ES), only connected the PSU (24 pin & 4 pin) + system panel and the same thing is happening i.e. green light on MB comes on, fans work, LED's work ...... but no POST beeps, so is this the end for my motherboard?
April 25, 2012 11:02:23 PM

Welshwitch said:
Hi again,

just installed a new PSU (Silverstone Strider 500w SST-ST50F-ES), only connected the PSU (24 pin & 4 pin) + system panel and the same thing is happening i.e. green light on MB comes on, fans work, LED's work ...... but no POST beeps, so is this the end for my motherboard?

Had to re-read your original post to see where we are (you've been gone too long) :)  .
I checked out your new PSU and it seems capable (even for future upgrades) so that's a good thing.
I know you tried this but remove all your ram and then power on (new PSU after all). Don't forget the 4-pin power connector (or as they used to call them the ez plug power connector). You should get beeps indicating "no ram". If you don't get those beeps then you may have a faulty motherboard (as I'm sure you suspect).
April 26, 2012 2:22:27 AM

Chaz21 said:
Had to re-read your original post to see where we are (you've been gone too long) :)  .
I checked out your new PSU and it seems capable (even for future upgrades) so that's a good thing.
I know you tried this but remove all your ram and then power on (new PSU after all). Don't forget the 4-pin power connector (or as they used to call them the ez plug power connector). You should get beeps indicating "no ram". If you don't get those beeps then you may have a faulty motherboard (as I'm sure you suspect).

OK bit confused .... I connected the 24 pin and one of the 4 pin (yellow and black wires) .... you say it used to be called the ez plug power connector but my mb has another connection which is the ez plug. The 4 pin I mean has the same connector type as the 24 pin but my ez plug connection is for a 4 pin peripheral (molex) power cable which this PSU doesn't seem to have enough of i.e. I have three of these 4 pin connectors and a 4 pin floppy connector all on the same set of wires, presumably for the optical drives (yellow, black and red), 4 SATA connectors (red, orange, black and yellow), 2 x 6 pin PCI express connectors (yellow and black - nowhere to put these on my MB or my graphics card) and a 2 pin PCI express connector (black) ..... these last ones seem optional depending on the graphics card but as I said no molex connector that will reach to my ez plug connection (just above the GCard), not sure this even has to be connected to check the MB's POST .......... going slightly mad!
April 26, 2012 10:42:32 AM

You have it connected right. You don't need the ez plug (that's for older style PSU's). Sorry if I confused you. :( 
April 26, 2012 11:26:33 AM

Chaz21 said:
You have it connected right. You don't need the ez plug (that's for older style PSU's). Sorry if I confused you. :( 

Lol ....believe me it's easily done :pt1cable:  ....... Well I think this MB is done and a new replacement of same looks to be same price or thereabouts as a decent upgrade and as I'm not sure the graphics card or the memory sticks are working either and I already have the PSU and the tower I'm going to start a new build, so will probably be back on quite a lot for advice :D 
April 26, 2012 11:58:09 AM

It's probably for the best. Let us know how your new build is progressing and any help or advice you may need.
Good luck! :) 
!