Sign in with
Your question

New build, won't power up.

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2012 4:07:57 PM

The green standby light turns on when I flip the psu switch, but when I try to turn it on, nothing happens, the fans won't spin, nothing. This is the second motherboard and the second psu I've tried. Is there anything else I can try before I endlessly RMA all of my parts until it works?

More about : build power

April 12, 2012 4:11:47 PM

Double check you have everything plugged in. Post the parts that you have.
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:13:33 PM

Short the pins on your motherboard for the power switch. Maybe there's a problem with the switch on your case.

Have you made sure the CPU is correctly seated?
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 4:34:16 PM

I tried shorting the pins and nothing happened. How would I check if the CPU is seated correctly. I'm used to AMD builds and wanted to try Intel this time. It seems like they just sort of sit on top of the socket rather than fall in.

At first I had:
CPU: Core i3 2120
Motherboard: Intel DH61SA
RAM: Kingston Hyper Blu X 2 x 4GB
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green x 2
PSU: Cooler Master 460W

After that failed I switched the PSU to a Thermaltake TR2-430, that didn't work, so I switched the motherboard to an Intel DH67BL, and it still won't work.
m
l
April 12, 2012 5:07:07 PM

avodrok said:
I tried shorting the pins and nothing happened. How would I check if the CPU is seated correctly. I'm used to AMD builds and wanted to try Intel this time. It seems like they just sort of sit on top of the socket rather than fall in.

At first I had:
CPU: Core i3 2120
Motherboard: Intel DH61SA
RAM: Kingston Hyper Blu X 2 x 4GB
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green x 2
PSU: Cooler Master 460W

After that failed I switched the PSU to a Thermaltake TR2-430, that didn't work, so I switched the motherboard to an Intel DH67BL, and it still won't work.

Two motherboards and power supplies? Sound like a problem with the case or maybe the MB install.
m
l
April 12, 2012 6:59:46 PM

We have a troubleshooting checklist that was created to diagnose this exact type of problem. Perform EVERY step in the checklist and let us know how it goes. There's a link to the checklist in my signature.
m
l
April 12, 2012 7:10:59 PM

Depending on the motherboard there is special considerations for Intel chipsets.
The memory (chipset depending) must be in specific channels (depending on ram installed). Check the mobo manual to make sure this is correct.
If ram is in the wrong channels, it will not boot and do exactly what yours is doing.
Freaked me out the first time it happened to me.
m
l
May 15, 2012 3:41:08 PM

i think ur pc boots but you have your moniter cable connected to wrong socket try connecting graphic card connect to vga and look if it works, dont buy new graphic card if u dont have one.
m
l
!