Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Eyefinity setup advice

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2012 4:15:35 PM

I'm looking at building a new comp to replace my q6600 3.2, p5q pro, 4 gb, 4850 cf system.

I've built 2 systems before so sorta know what i'm doing but having been paying attention to all the latest and greatest so I'm looking for any guidance.. any tips, advice, comments etc appreciated.

My goal is to be able to do iracing, flight, guild wars 2, diablo 2, bf3 etc on 3 monitors 24" monitors with as close to full detail as possible.

I figure have a budget of about $1000 to upgrade the processor, cooler, ram, mother board and video card and buy a new case. I will use the current hard and dvd drive and 850w power supply until I upgrade to an ssd later. (when i buy the ssd the q6600 system will be put back together as a 2nd comp with a lessor power supply)

I was looking at the following for the eyefinity setup...

i5 2500k (will be overclocking)
MSI Z77A-G45
(above 2 combo price of 349.99)

not sure what cooler, haven't done any research yet. est $60

8 gb ram (not sure what kind yet) est $80

7970 video card (single card for now)
was also thinking 7850 OR 7870 cf, but figure the 7970 should be good for now and I can crossfire it later on.

Will this get me to where I want to go, or will I struggle to acheive max and ultra detail in most games.. or just bf3. Once I go 7970 cf would all games max out no problem at 57** * 1080 or whatever eyefinity's resolution is? (if frame rates drop under 60 fps I'm not that concerned as long as it's playable at full detail above 30 fps)

More about : eyefinity setup advice

Best solution

April 12, 2012 5:29:12 PM

That setup should be good for eyefinity with 24 inch monitors. The cooler shouldn't cost over 40, the ram shouldn't cost over 50, and the gtx 680 which I'm sure someone will suggest doesn't have enough vram to support 3 monitors.
I'll tell you now, though. One 7970 won't give you max everything in bf3. Most everything else it will.
April 12, 2012 6:53:23 PM

Best answer selected by PickledGopher.
m
l
April 12, 2012 7:06:59 PM

stingstang said:
That setup should be good for eyefinity with 24 inch monitors. The cooler shouldn't cost over 40, the ram shouldn't cost over 50, and the gtx 680 which I'm sure someone will suggest doesn't have enough vram to support 3 monitors.
I'll tell you now, though. One 7970 won't give you max everything in bf3. Most everything else it will.

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking one 7970 might not do it for bf3, but I'd be happy to get close with that one. I don't want to have to add a 2nd right away.. only when something else comes out that will need it. (maybe a year from now?) I don't really see too much coming short term that should push it further than bf3. If I can run almost everything else then that'll work for me.
m
l
!