Sign in with
Your question

Can I upgrade my U5400 Processor?

Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2012 6:36:35 PM

I have a HP pavilion dm3-3027cl laptop with the intel u5400 processor. I like the size and generally the functionality of the notebook but would like to get a little more performance out of it. I have upgraded the ram to 8gigs and I'm considering upgrading to a ssd. However, I've noticed that the processor seems to be maxed out a lot of the time. I don't want to invest the money for an ssd if the slow processor is going to limit how effective it is.

So, my first question is: Is there a way to upgrade the processor from the u5400?

Second: Is the ssd going to relieve some of the stress that the processor is experiencing and is there a way to improve on this outside of an upgrade?

Thanks for your help. I knew going in that the computer was going to have limitations but would like to avoid having to buy a new computer so quickly...

Cheers!
August 2, 2012 1:34:41 PM

I really think that's the best CPU you can get for that form factor. It is the Nehalem architecture, but its a BGA1288 socket and its an 18 Watt TDP, so you would have to find an CPU that has both of those characteristics, while still being compatible with the 'Capella' family.

Most of the Capella family uses the PGA988 socket and is 35 Watts, so something like an i3 370M or a Pentium P6200 wouldn't 'fit' even thought technically it would work with your chipset...

The only other Capella CPU's I've seen that are BGA1288 AND 18 Watts are Celerons, which are lower performance CPUs than the one you've got.

Dry
m
l
August 2, 2012 1:37:46 PM

And honestly... I think the BGA1288 sockets are soldered onto the motherboard and aren't replaceable... I think that's why I've never actually seen one with my eyes... :/ 

Dry
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 2, 2012 1:58:44 PM

Quote:
So, my first question is: Is there a way to upgrade the processor from the u5400?

No. they are soldered to the board.

Quote:
Second: Is the ssd going to relieve some of the stress that the processor is experiencing and is there a way to improve on this outside of an upgrade?

Not really no. The SSD can reduce load times of programs, but theres a big * to that because its assuming the CPU isn't the source of the lag in a given program. The SSD cannot improve the CPU's performance.

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I knew going in that the computer was going to have limitations but would like to avoid having to buy a new computer so quickly.

Unfortunately thats the problem with Laptops.

m
l
!