Just finished my build, any feedback?

This is my first build, I'm looking for a computer that I can run any game with and also with room for upgrades. I originally only wanted to spend $600 max, but ended up at $650.... If you have any sort of feedback coming from experience please feel free to post. Here it is:

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Denem 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core
$120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

CPU Cooler:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU
$35 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Motherboard:
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
$86 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131651

Video Card:
Video Card:
ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
$180 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121418

Case:
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Set up a striped raid Raid
$75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136770

Memory:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R
$55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

Optical Drive:
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
$20 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W 80+ 2@ 25A Modular: Yes 1x 6+2pin, 1x 6-pin
$70 http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-550w-fatal1ty-series-power-supply.html
16 answers Last reply
More about just finished build feedback
  1. Looks pretty good! I would make a few tweaks though.
    -Get some cheaper 1600MHz RAM. $44 is about standard.
    -Find a case other than the Storm Scout that you like. The HAF 912, Antec 300 and NZXT Source 210 are all good options.
    -Drop the CPU cooler for now. Get one later on, as CPU performance won't matter with your GPU.
    -Upgrade to a 6850 or if you can, a 6870. This will give you a huge boost in performance. The 6850 is leaps and bounds above a 6770 for not much more coin.
  2. Go for core i3-2100 and some Z68 motherboard. Skip the cooler.
  3. Nothing jumps out that says "replace me", but video cards aren't my strong suit so I'm wondering if someone is going to question the 6770 or not. It's main competition from what I've read is the gtx550ti, which I use, and people call my card weak.

    **Sure enough, I was the first to reply but while I was typing those two came in ahead and I just like I thought the 6770 came into play**

    For RAM, this is basically the best you can get for the price.
    I have the blue modules which match the ASUS board better, and has better latency, but $10 more.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
  4. Ok if someone says I should upgrade my video card, then I guess that means I should =P i decided to go with the Video Card:
    ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    $180 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121418
  5. Im seeing a lot of Bad Reviews on the MotherBoard I have posted.. I had a buddy recommend it, so I guess I didn't think to look into it. Do you guys think I should go with something better?
  6. striker410 said:
    Looks pretty good! I would make a few tweaks though.
    -Get some cheaper 1600MHz RAM. $44 is about standard.
    -Find a case other than the Storm Scout that you like. The HAF 912, Antec 300 and NZXT Source 210 are all good options.
    -Drop the CPU cooler for now. Get one later on, as CPU performance won't matter with your GPU.
    -Upgrade to a 6850 or if you can, a 6870. This will give you a huge boost in performance. The 6850 is leaps and bounds above a 6770 for not much more coin.


    how come you said a different case?
  7. Sinafey said:
    Im seeing a lot of Bad Reviews on the MotherBoard I have posted.. I had a buddy recommend it, so I guess I didn't think to look into it. Do you guys think I should go with something better?


    How about something like this instead:

    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $121.99

    Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz $124.99

    Slightly more expensive but I believe a better system.
  8. Unless someone backs up a recommendation with a specific reason, it's probably just a personal preference but since this is YOUR system, don't have to follow every suggestion.
  9. odwillia said:
    How about something like this instead:

    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $121.99

    Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz $124.99

    Slightly more expensive but I believe a better system.



    No doubt, Intel CPU's beat AMD hands down for gaming.
    AMD is better on your wallet, that's about it.

    Here, i3 vs. Phenom II x4 965
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=289
  10. sharkbyte5150 said:
    Unless someone backs up a recommendation with a specific reason, it's probably just a personal preference but since this is YOUR system, don't have to follow every suggestion.


    My reason for suggesting what I did was the crappy motherboard that he wanted to switch because of the reviews he saw. The CPU he has picked is getting up there in age and not as good as the one I suggested.

    The Motherboard is a basic one but good for the price and does have good reviews.

    @SiNafey Sharkbyte515 is right about one thing though and it is your system. All anyone on this board can do is try to lead you to the best build for your budget. If you like AMD I'll be happy to find a board that work with that motherboard. I have an AMD system too that I just replaced. AMD is not a problem just not as good.

    Good Luck with your build whatever you decide to do. :D
  11. odwillia said:
    My reason for suggesting what I did was the crappy motherboard that he wanted to switch because of the reviews he saw. The CPU he has picked is getting up there in age and not as good as the one I suggested.

    The Motherboard is a basic one but good for the price and does have good reviews.

    @SiNafey Sharkbyte515 is right about one thing though and it is your system. All anyone on this board can do is try to lead you to the best build for your budget. If you like AMD I'll be happy to find a board that work with that motherboard. I have an AMD system too that I just replaced. AMD is not a problem just not as good.

    Good Luck with your build whatever you decide to do. :D



    OP was asking why someone told him to change his case, that's what I was referring to.
    I totally back your recommendation for i3, that's why I posted the benchmark link.
  12. sharkbyte5150 said:
    OP was asking why someone told him to change his case, that's what I was referring to.
    I totally back your recommendation for i3, that's why I posted the benchmark link.


    Cool, wasn't trying to be snippy or anything. Just giving the reason for what I suggested. :sol:
  13. About the hard drive... You mentioned RAID. That might be risky with "blue" drives.

    I think I'd prefer a $210 600GB Velociraptor rather than two Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB at $75 each. Or maybe a WD2002FAEX ($220), for 2TB of storage.
  14. ^That's a very expensive route to take. In my opinion, a 500GB Seagate would be the best option unless he already has a 320GB. Same price, 180GB more.
    I personally would stay with the 965 since I'm an overclocker. An overclocked 965 can take out the i3-2100, if just barely. Honestly either would work.
    This GPU would be the best option just because of price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948 Quite a bit cheaper than competitors due to the promo code.
    I suggested a different case based purely off price. If he can swing the 6870 AND a $90 case, then by all means do so.
    I think this mobo is what you want: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280
    This PSU might also be worth getting. The OCZ only provides 450w on the 12v rail which is kinda sleazy. This PSU has more than enough power for a single 6870 and is $30 after rebate and promo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
  15. odwillia said:
    Cool, wasn't trying to be snippy or anything. Just giving the reason for what I suggested. :sol:


    No sweat man, I knew we got just got our signals crossed.
    You recommended the i3 and gave reason for it, the guy who said to change case probably just didn't like that case.....big difference.
  16. sharkbyte5150 said:
    No sweat man, I knew we got just got our signals crossed.
    You recommended the i3 and gave reason for it, the guy who said to change case probably just didn't like that case.....big difference.

    I suggested a difference case based purely off of price. Trying to keep the OP's budget in mind. The CM Scout is a great case.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product