XP Scheduled task

Hi,

I have setup a scheduled task to backup using a .exe from another s/w
company.

To create the task, I used schtasks from a dos prompt, and set it up to run
as "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" account which supposidly does not require password.

When I test the task to make sure it will work, it shows as running under
status, the task manager shows the .exe is running from process tab, but CPU
usage shows 0, and it never does backup. If I don't intervene, the task
will show as running untill the stop task default of 72 hours rolls around.

Part of my problem is that on some XP installations this works without
error, but others just won't work properly. In some cases, I manually create
the task and use a admin-level user with password and it shows as running but
really isn't doing anything.

Any input would be appreciated.

Juile
2 answers Last reply
More about scheduled task

    I have also experienced non-backups after scheduling two types: daily
    incremental file backups, and weekly complete "normal" backups. I'm using XP
    PRO Backup, but can't seem to get it to function. I also would appreciate
    your sage advice.

    Sheik

    "JetCityJules" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have setup a scheduled task to backup using a .exe from another s/w
    > company.
    >
    > To create the task, I used schtasks from a dos prompt, and set it up to run
    > as "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" account which supposidly does not require password.
    >
    > When I test the task to make sure it will work, it shows as running under
    > status, the task manager shows the .exe is running from process tab, but CPU
    > usage shows 0, and it never does backup. If I don't intervene, the task
    > will show as running untill the stop task default of 72 hours rolls around.
    >
    > Part of my problem is that on some XP installations this works without
    > error, but others just won't work properly. In some cases, I manually create
    > the task and use a admin-level user with password and it shows as running but
    > really isn't doing anything.
    >
    > Any input would be appreciated.
    >
    > Juile

    In re-reading this post, it looks like I was not clear enough, let me clarify.

    I am using this to create a schedule task from a dos prompt:

    schtasks /create /sc daily /ru system /tn Bearback /st 22:00:00 /tr
    "c:\p6\bearback.exe AUTO"

    I found this from MS site:

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/schtasks.mspx

    Based on what MS says in this article, this creates a task using the NT
    Authority/System account which should have administrator rights. This allows
    me to create a batch file that I can have people run on their computers
    without having to walk them thru the schedule task wizard.

    The problem lies in some XP SP1, SP2, Win2000, and the problem is that the
    task will show as running but nothing happens. If I don’t end the task it
    continues to show status of running until the default 72 hours expires.

    If I open up Task Manager, click on Process tab, I can see the Bearback.exe
    (what the schedule task is suppose to run) running but its showing CPU usage
    as zero.

    It doesn’t matter what the application or .exe is I’m calling on, any will
    behave the same way as described. Again, this is only on some computers.

    As I have a lot of non-computer literate people to tend to, I would
    appreciate any assistance in figuring out what the problem is.

    "JetCityJules" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have setup a scheduled task to backup using a .exe from another s/w
    > company.
    >
    > To create the task, I used schtasks from a dos prompt, and set it up to run
    > as "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" account which supposidly does not require password.
    >
    > When I test the task to make sure it will work, it shows as running under
    > status, the task manager shows the .exe is running from process tab, but CPU
    > usage shows 0, and it never does backup. If I don't intervene, the task
    > will show as running untill the stop task default of 72 hours rolls around.
    >
    > Part of my problem is that on some XP installations this works without
    > error, but others just won't work properly. In some cases, I manually create
    > the task and use a admin-level user with password and it shows as running but
    > really isn't doing anything.
    >
    > Any input would be appreciated.
    >
    > Juile

Configuration Windows XP