First time building a computer...

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
So I have all of my parts and everything. They are all installed correctly, as far as I know, but I cannot figure out where to plug some of the stuff in...

Here's what I have:

Case- Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Motherboard- ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Video card x2- EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX
New Power Supply- CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2
CPU- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge
CPU Cooler- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Ram- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
Sound Card- Rocketfish 7.1

I cannot figure out for the life of me how to hookup all of the fans that came inside my case as well as the power button and led lights. I've searched for videos but cant find anything. There's also a usb 3.0 cord that came hooked into the case, I found the usb 3.0 slot on the motherboard, but they aren't compatible, neither one has any prongs. And there are a bunch of cords coming from my power supply that I have no idea where they go...

Also, do I need anything else to make it work? Like a specific CD drive or anything?

And I have 4 optical drives that I want to fill up, whats some cool stuff I can use? Like one of those digital displays or something?

I appreciate any help.

killermoats

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
That mobo can support up to 4 case fans and 2 CPU fans. Note you can use a CPU fan port for a case fan if needed.

The MOBO IO pannel is pannel 1 in the bottom right corner of the board.

Your PSU will have a 20+4 pin connector that will go to the MOBO, also a 4 or 8 pin connector. These must be installed.

Since you have 2 video cards that PSU only has 2 PCIE connectors, you will need 4.
Your video cards may have come with adapters to adapt 2 molex to 6 pin.

you may not have enough, or very difficult to hook up that many optical drives, assuming you have atleast one HDD aswell.

I did not check if that mobo supports USB 3.0.

Your PSU and MOBO probably came with instructions. Read them.

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Reading the instructions is the first thing I did, they are not very informative at all. I guess I'll just try to find where all of them go, but it doesn't look like they go anywhere.

One thing I see that just stands out is you are trying to run TWO GTX-680 video cards with a 600 watt PSU. :eek: :ouch:
While the PSU you have is a good one, I wouldn't want to have anything less than an 850 Watt Corsair. for a SLI 680 system. :bounce:

killermoats

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008

Some PSU cords will not be used. There are extras due to the differences in setups and locations of devices.
Often IO panels can be difficult to read and understand if you have not done many before.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

You'll have lots of cables coming out of the PSU that you won't use. That's why people will pay a premium for modular PSUs, so you can just remove the unneded cables.

As far as your power button and such, that is explained in your motherboard's manual. You may have ignored it because it's going to look like a fairly arcane chart with a bunch of abbreviations like PWR, RST, HDD, LED and things like that. You'll need to plug the very thin wires on your case into equally small and hard to see plugs (usually just the posts sticking out of the board) on your motherboard, typically on the bottom right corner. Your motherboard's manual will tell you which posts are which, and they are also typically labeled on the motherboard as well so you don't have to go hunting for the manual to install the mobo in a new case.

Use only one video card with that PSU. Two video cards will probably crash your system during gaming.

Because this is your first build, look at the following threads while you are waiting for your parts.
Build it yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step-guide-building

And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

If I were you, I'd try to find a knowledgeable friend who has built several computers and ask for help.

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Nevermind! Everything is working perfectly now! Are you sure the 600 watt wont be able to handle those 2 video cards? on a previous forum someone told me it could and recommended it. If not, what psu should I get?

If you mean Boot, then yes it would probably be able to boot. The first time you started to do any heavy gaming, you would quickly run out of headroom, and start experiencing shutdowns and re-boots due to shortage of power.

Again, I would strongly recommend AT LEAST an 850watt, 80+ certified, Active PFC from Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Antec, Enermax, or PCP&C.