Sign in with
Your question

New Computer Build

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2012 9:10:10 PM

Hey guys,

this is my first time attempting to build a computer. So ive done my homework :)  and come up with a nice build - and hoping it works - will be in my budget:

Case: Xigmatex asgard III

Power supply: Corsair 500 Watt CX500 V2 (sufficient?)(80 plus)

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3

Proccesor: AMD Quad Core Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

I already have some RAM, Hard drive and Optical drive which i can re-use. Just a quick question with the Graphics card. So i'm looking at the Asus GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB (directcu) - but there are a couple of different factory overclocks. So, should i pay extra for factory overclock, or just overclock them myself - it doesn't look to hard...?

Also, anyone recomend any monitors, because i do have an old one, but i want to take advantage of my new hardware. Otherwise, is it all compatible, and are there any bottlenecks?

Much appreciated, thanks!

Extra Info: I am building this in the UK

More about : computer build

April 12, 2012 9:31:19 PM

500W is plenty for an average system. You won't have a lot of room to upgrade, but it will power a basic system with no trouble.

As far as factory overclocking, it's kind of a mixed bag. By paying the extra for a factory overclocked card, you get a guarantee of some minimum level of overclockability. Often these overclocks are very modest, so this isn't exactly compelling. The more interesting thing about factory overclocked cards is that they frequently come with upgraded coolers.

I went for the factory overclocked MSI Twin Frozr III R6950 not for the overclock, but for the awesome fan it comes with. Aftermarket GPU coolers can be pretty expensive, and overclocked cards get really hot. By paying a little bit more up front, I was able to overclock my card to hell and back, but keep it at a chilly 70C under full load while still whisper quiet.
April 13, 2012 9:31:28 AM

Thanks for your reply! I am hoping to play some games on it, so by basic system do you mean i'll probably need more power if I want to use it more heavily?

So i am assuming that all this is compatible? I'll probably go with the factory overclocked 910 MHz - then overclock it on my own even further. With this, would it be too ambitious for me to say this sytem can run BF3 on maxed settings at playable FPS? I have seen vidio's proving the graphics card can play it on max, but is there anything else in the build holding it back?

Thanks
Related resources
April 13, 2012 2:46:05 PM

Also, i am very open to people editing this build, i cant make my mind up about the proccesor or Graphics card. I have changed them around a lot, but am now looking for some proffesional insight on these parts.
April 13, 2012 5:25:40 PM

Launde said:
Thanks for your reply! I am hoping to play some games on it, so by basic system do you mean i'll probably need more power if I want to use it more heavily?

No, I mean that your future upgrade options might be limited. With only 500W of power, you won't be able to do SLI or Crossfire. Less power hungry components like case fans, lights, hard drives and optical drives could potentially add up to require more power than your system can deliver if you use a ton of them.

So long as your system is fairly average, though (one video card, couple hard drives, one or two optical drives, etc) you'll be fine.

Quote:
So i am assuming that all this is compatible?

Yes.

Quote:
I'll probably go with the factory overclocked 910 MHz - then overclock it on my own even further. With this, would it be too ambitious for me to say this sytem can run BF3 on maxed settings at playable FPS? I have seen vidio's proving the graphics card can play it on max, but is there anything else in the build holding it back?

You can't max out BF3 with a 550 Ti, sorry. You'd need to lower the resolution below 1080p to get acceptable framerates, which is probably what was done in the videos you saw. BF3 is a very demanding game, and requires much more than a budget card to run at max settings.

Additionally, BF3's online multiplayer is going to require lots of CPU power. You'll get noticeably better framerates with an overclocked 2500k than you will pretty much any AMD chip ever made. If it's in the budget, I'd strongly recommend going Intel. The processors are just plain better right now.
April 13, 2012 6:27:51 PM

The Radeon 6850 is around the same price but MUCH better.
April 13, 2012 6:53:42 PM

ok. im thinking if i cant play todays games at max, then ill have to play tommorows on low. The only problem is, this is my first build, and i dont want to put too much at stake here. What would you say would be minimum requirements of a graphics card to play it? Depending on the price of the moniter, would an increased budget of anything under £150 be of any help for the GPU(thats $240)?

I am very reluctant to spend any more money on the proccesor unless your thinking the i3 is sufficient. i think ill probably stick with this, and i think my motherboard is also compatible with intel, so i might upgrade later on. i have heard a lot about ivy bridge, should i just wait for that?

April 13, 2012 6:55:30 PM

just saw azeem40's post. i can get thet GPU if it will max BF3?
April 13, 2012 7:04:49 PM

It will max it, but fps won't be 60fps constant. It will be playable, i.e, 30+ fps.
April 13, 2012 7:19:45 PM

looks like a very attractive deal! Any ideas on the monitor?
April 13, 2012 7:23:24 PM

Honestly, you will barely notice a difference in many TN monitors and resolutions for a certain price range. Most are all the same. IPS panels are where differences can be seen and gauged.
April 13, 2012 7:43:18 PM

alright, thanks. Ill have a look around and see ones i prefer then. I heard IPS monitors are not good for gaming, so ill go for any TN monitors then. With the money saved on not spending £150 on a graphics card, i can start exploring intel CPU's. Will there be any ivy bridge CPU's at around the i5 price range, in which case ill probably wait and see how people review the product.
!