Network Use of Printers

Looks like my Canon Multipass F30 query was too specific. The F30 has been superseded anyhow, despite the recent review on Tom's. I've pretty much decided that a standalone printer would be a better choice for network use. Even so, I've heard there may be problems sharing a Canon printer from Windows XP, maybe other platforms.

I'd like to see ALL printers evaluated as a network solution - from Windows and from packaged printservers. Evaluations of stand-alone printservers would also be great. There does not seem to be much out there for hooking up a USB printer - mixed reviews of the one I found (Linksys?). Quite a few parallel options out there, but many modern printers are USB only. I would not want to run a whole computer just to serve a printer. Integrating the printserver with a firewall router is a great idea. Netgear has one that looks great - basically what I have now - but it is parallel only.
2 answers Last reply
More about network printers
  1. HP makes JetDirect print servers that can connect USB devices. http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/CatAtAGlance/1,,type=13037^cat=,00.html?

I had a JD 175X for evaluation for a while. Ended up loosing it to someone else but it worked pretty good.

Cool part is that it will also allow you to scan if you have a flatbed scanner over the network via a Java script tool. You just enter the IP address of the print server into a network browser and it automatically uploads the script. Pretty slick.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by m39shadow on 05/13/03 06:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  2. Thanks, I'll look into the 175x. $159 seems a little steep for this - an opportunity there, you'd think - but maybe it has superior function.
Ask a new question

Read More

Printers Canon Peripherals