Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2012 11:38:30 PM

Hi. So I plan on upgrading my CPU + MB in a near future but I can't decide between AMD or Intel.
I know Intel is better but AMD is cheaper and I have a 300€ budget for both components.

I could go with either an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 + I3 2100 or a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 + FX 6100.

I look for a MB with decent features like USB 3 headers, SATA3 ports, CrossFire and SLI compatible and I also plan to overclock in the future (not with the i3 obviously).

So the thing is: Is AMD a risk going into at this moment? is really the FX series more future proof as some claim or am i better of going for a cheap intel cpu and switch it for an IB i5 in 6 months from now? And will the next gen require a new cpu socket? sould i wait?

I currently have a Athlon II x3 455 and an ASRock M3N78D MB and i mostly game on this pc, but i'm not too picky about it... if one only gives me 2 or 3 fps over the other i'll just go with the cheapest combo.

Also I got some Patriot Memory Division 2 Viper Extreme 2x4GB 1600MHz, and i'm not sure an i3 would support those (i read only IB supports 1600mhz ram natively).

Help is very much appreciated :) 

More about : cpu upgrade

a c 283 à CPUs
July 25, 2012 11:47:46 PM

My recommendation is to wait until October to see what Piledriver brings. The only three current FX CPU's that I personally would recommend are the 4170 and 8120/50.

As far as new sockets go, Piledriver will still be on AM3+, but Intel's next CPU, Haswell, will be on LGA 1150.

Also, the i3, should you choose to go in that direction, will work just fine with 1600 RAM, but that particular RAM is 1.65V, which doesn't play very nicely with Sandy Bridge CPU's (it'll work, but may cause degradation of the integrated memory controller).
July 26, 2012 2:59:55 PM

Oh I didnt know Piledriver would come out in October. I'll wait till then and if its sub-par i'll have a little more money for an IB cpu.

And I did some reading and looks like 1.65V RAM degrades Intel cpu's just as you said. Is this just on SB? Would it work fine on IB? This RAM was free so i cant complain, is this some decent RAM or should I buy another lower voltage one in the future?

Ty.
a c 283 à CPUs
July 26, 2012 4:04:36 PM

Diogo1989 said:
And I did some reading and looks like 1.65V RAM degrades Intel cpu's just as you said. Is this just on SB? Would it work fine on IB? This RAM was free so i cant complain, is this some decent RAM or should I buy another lower voltage one in the future?

From what I've read, 1.65V RAM isn't really all that bad for Ivy CPU's.

And that RAM is OK, but most current, good quality 1600 RAM is 1.5V.
!